I'm back, just when I started thinking I was a Fandroid...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by uberamd, Sep 1, 2010.

1. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Some of you may remember me (like samcraig), others may not. I own a LOT of Apple equipment, and I consider myself a pretty big Apple supporter (I don't call myself a fanboy). After getting the iPhone 4 and having an antenna issue I told myself "enough is enough" and got rid of my iPhone 4 in favor of a Nexus One. This was the 3rd Nexus I have owned, I sold the other 2 after some months of owning them.

I used my Nexus, enjoyed my Nexus, and became somewhat of an Android fanboy. I then got a Milestone (the UK Droid, AT&T equivalent), and the HTC Aria (another AT&T Android phone). I was thinking Android had finally won be over. Then I traded someone a few netbooks for a Dell Streak (Android 5" phone made by Dell). Then it hit me the other day, I really dislike Android.

All of these months I was thinking I liked Android, when the reality of it was that I liked the new HARDWARE I had been using, Android just happened to be the OS on those devices! Once the "new toy" factor wore out of me I found myself bored. The quality of apps was just terrible. The lack of a quality copy and paste was terrible. I have traded some old electronics crap for an iPhone 4 and once again I am happy with my phone. Turns out I was just bored of the "grid of icons" and wanted a change for a bit.

Has anyone else gone through something like this with their technology? Would people be happy of iOS was able to run on other hardware like the Evo to throw in some variation?

TL;DR: I got bored of iOS, bought a bunch of Android phones, got bored of them and came back to iOS. Turns out I was just tired of the lack of hardware variation.

2. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

3. tizzl10 macrumors regular

tizzl10

welcome back, my friend. Your story sounds like a carbon copy to mine. I too went to a nexus one and while I loved the phone itself, the marketplace for the apps was terrible. I even had force closes on native nexus one apps. I sold it and went back to 3gs..now im loving my iphone4.

4. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

Same thing here.

Had all the iPhones and got bored of the "same" thing. Bought a Dell streak. Thought Android was WAY better than iOS. Well, I Started messing with my iPhone 4 last night and what do you know? I already dropped off the Streak at UPS to be returned to Dell.

5. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Welcome back dude! The force is strong in you :D

6. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Wow, all this happened in the few months since you had the iPhone 4 antenna issue?

7. bhattsan macrumors member

I guess I had the same itch as you did, looking at all the new devices coming out for android. I waited out though and now 4.1 makes the phone perfect (the proximity sensor issue was driving me nuts!). Glad I still my iPhone 4 :D

8. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

All these phones in such a short span of time? Sending some of your disposable income my way would be greatly appreciated. ;)

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'd ask you to call me to discuss your likes and dislikes about the android OS but I'm afraid now that you own an iP4 you won't be able to do that.

10. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

You can take the fan boy out of Apple, but you can't take the Apple out of the fan boy.

11. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

Cool...welcome back. I came and haven't left yet after years of all the other crap out there. Had my fill.

I have to bring by reader home from work and read your avatar!

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Welcome back

Now you can buy all the new iPod's! If you get bored of :apple:again I also take donations :D

13. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

There are some things I do like about Android:

• Hardware variation, being able to pick your hardware is pretty neat
    • Notification system. Keeping the icons in the top drawer for notifications is great, not "in your face" like iOS notifications
    • Holding "Home" to bring up multitasking is a great way to handle things, more simplistic than double-pressing
    • The ease of copying content to the devices is nice. However I do miss the lack of iTunes like controlling programs

Then I have some dislikes:

• App quality. iOS blows Android out of the water with apps
    • The marketplace is boring. Same apps have been the "top" in the same categories for FAR too long
    • Not enough quality games. I miss things like Angry Birds, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, and Madden
    • No icon badges. I know I have emails, but how may? I have new messages, but how many?
    • Terrible copy and paste. The Android implementation is a joke. Its awful.
    • Responsiveness. It just doesn't seem as snappy as iOS
    • Manufacturer skins. Samsung added TouchWiz on top of their devices which is a terrible knockoff of iOS. These rollouts of UI's causes slow updates from manufacturers. The Dell Streak sold with 1.6 which is VERY old

I could go on and on with pros and cons. But in the end, I just prefer the polish of iOS over the flexibility of Android. Its to fragmented and lacking the quality I want in a device like a phone. OS X spoiled me.

14. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

We've all been there. I love all kinds of new tech. It's easy to hop on Engadget and see all the new stuff that's better than what you bought last month but you have to realize that you have to chill on stuff a little.

15. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

You sound like you change electronics/cellphones like underwear. You'll likely be bored again with iOS in a month or two. Cool story though.

16. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Sounds like you just get bored easy considering all the electronic stuff you have traded( that i assume you got bored with) to get all these different phones. I can see where the Dell Streak would send you back. I ve actually never played with one but it just looks so damn big and uninteresting on video's.

17. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

Hopefully you got 4.0.1 then you can JB and that will cure your boredom of the gird of apps.

18. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I guess you didnt use Launcher Pro or Handcent SMS because those let you know. So does Tweetcaster if you use Twitter. Facebook also lets you know if you activate the notifications on it. Copy and paste isnt as good yet but im still on 2.1 and Angry Birds should be here in a week or two from what ive read.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

Welcome back "stranger" ;)

Sounds like Dorothy realized that she only needed to look in her own backyard after all (sorry - I couldn't resist) - especially since I know we are both NOT fanboys at all.

Missed your rational posts though - there are a lot of new(er) posters who lack your sensibilities...

20. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

Yeah I go through phases. Every now and then I decide to mix things up when I have some expendable money set aside once every few years.

Occasionally yeah. I had a few upgrades on my family plan to use. And the Streak is waaay to big! Ugh, looks like I'm holding a small TV up to our head.

Thats the thing though. I don't want to have to use a separate launcher to get icon badges and a separate SMS app to get them. I think it should be stock.

21. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

I love it!

Lost on the OP however...

22. aohus macrumors 68000

looks as though you just missed the apps.

i went from iPhone (my ex's phone at the time, but used it heavily, 1st gen) --> RAZR dumbphone --> Blackberry Storm --> Droid X.

I just want my smartphone to do basic things done well.

First and foremost, I wanted to be on a highly dependable carrier. Sorry but Verizon blows AT&T out of the water when it comes to 3G coverage and call quality.

Secondly, I wanted a phone that has a great native navigation application. Google navigation is insanely well polished, feature rich, and most notably, extremely easy to use. I don't even type in addresses anymore, I just say where i want to go using voice commands: 'Navigate to 3515 Beach Avenue.' then boom the direction list/map is there.

Thirdly, I wanted a phone where I can access information as quickly as possible. Android's voice command, voice action, and voice search made accessing information much quicker. Add in Swype technology and my need for physical keyboard subsided.

Everything else was secondary to me. For me, I feel as though Android does the basic things done well. Aside from the bloatware that the carriers put on Android phones, vanilla Android is phenomenally well polished and easy to pick up.

edit: oh and notification system. by far the best implementation of notifications on a smartphone thus far.

I don't have the time to play with various applications, and to be honest, most of it is a timewaster.

I wanted a no nonsense phone with feature rich multimedia capabilities. The Droid X was my calling.

23. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

Totally understand that.

Milage will vary. My city recently rolled out 3G and my AT&T reception is 5 bars all over, its great!

Google Navigation is great and works quite nicely, definitely a nice feature.

I never got into the voice command stuff, but Swype is a great keyboard and I did like it quite a bit. I do type very fast on my iPhone keyboard though, but definitely not Swype fast.

Totally true. Its subtle, and works great.

Droid X is a decent phone no doubt about it. I just got tired of Android, for all its great features it is just so blah when it comes to app quality and manufacturer updates.

24. PhxBlue macrumors regular

PhxBlue

I'm there man. Currently using a Vibrant with my iPhone 4. The grid does get long in tooth.

25. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

So you got tired of the grid look on the android phone. Yet iPhone is no different. If anything, iPhone is worse. Seems like you are just unhappy regardless of what you get.