Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Speechless

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2015
Non-gentrified Brooklyn.
i have the opportunity to give my retina MacBook Pro to someone in my family who needs a computer..and I think I might be able to do it. Ever since I purchased the iPad Pro, I have not touched my computer for any task that I need. Something I never in a million years thought I would do.

Now it's crunch time, and I need to make a decision..however the thought of no longer having a laptop scares the hell out of me. Especially losing a computer that I LOVED and never stopped using (until now) ever since 2012.

Truth be told, I never even dreamed about this thing replacing my laptop - but it did. I purchased it on the 22nd of December and just wanna make sure that I'm making the right decision. If all else fails and I end up missing my computer more than ever, nothing stops me from buying a new one around the next refresh - but I don't even think I will need to do that.

Just seeking some advice or people in a similar situation.

Reactions: username:

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
I have an iPad Pro, but for me, it can't replace a computer. I need full Lightroom and also use Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro. Is there anything you use the laptop for that you can't do on the iPad? That would be the deciding factor if it were me.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

bowlman2345

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2015
I think it really depends on your use cases. Is there anything you can think of that you would use a laptop for? Photo/video processing, coding, high end graphic design, etc? I'm in a similar boat, but I know I'll still need a computer at some point for something. I haven't touched my laptop in over a month, but I know as soon as I get rid of it, I'll need it.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

First you have to evaluate the task you do on a daily basis and see how your able to cope with not having a traditional laptop. As for me... I'm using my iPad Pro as a laptop replacement, but I do have a desktop for certain things which is primarily for storing videos on my Plex server.

But for typical average user task the iPad Pro handles it fairly well.

Speechless

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2015
Non-gentrified Brooklyn.
The only thing I can think of is coding. I have a boot camp that start in April and planned on learning more and more by that time. The App Store offers a lot of programs but I'm still searching around to see if it's doable on this.

DadBod630

Suspended
Oct 13, 2015
i have the opportunity to give my retina MacBook Pro to someone in my family who needs a computer..and I think I might be able to do it. Ever since I purchased the iPad Pro, I have not touched my computer for any task that I need. Something I never in a million years thought I would do.

Now it's crunch time, and I need to make a decision..however the thought of no longer having a laptop scares the hell out of me. Especially losing a computer that I LOVED and never stopped using (until now) ever since 2012.

Truth be told, I never even dreamed about this thing replacing my laptop - but it did. I purchased it on the 22nd of December and just wanna make sure that I'm making the right decision. If all else fails and I end up missing my computer more than ever, nothing stops me from buying a new one around the next refresh - but I don't even think I will need to do that.

this is a truly horrifying situation. my condolences. i got a few palpitations reading this because damn what will you do.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The only thing I can think of is coding. I have a boot camp that start in April and planned on learning more and more by that time. The App Store offers a lot of programs but I'm still searching around to see if it's doable on this.

Coda is pretty coo.. Pythonsia as well. I did majority of my web project for class using Coda on my iPad Pro. I have Editorial as well.. I'm waiting for Pythonsia & Editorial to be updated for iPad Pro. I'm sure it's down the road.

Hopefully Apple opens up X-Code for the iPad Pro down the future...

Reactions: GoGa and Osty

Speechless

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2015
Non-gentrified Brooklyn.
Coda is pretty coo.. Pythonsia as well. I did majority of my web project for class using Coda on my iPad Pro. I have Editorial as well.. I'm waiting for Pythonsia & Editorial to be updated for iPad Pro. I'm sure it's down the road.

Hopefully Apple opens up X-Code for the iPad Pro down the future...

Great suggestions.
I was just on CodeSchool and that seems perfect as well.

Speechless

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2015
Non-gentrified Brooklyn.
I have an iPad Pro, but for me, it can't replace a computer. I need full Lightroom and also use Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro. Is there anything you use the laptop for that you can't do on the iPad? That would be the deciding factor if it were me.

I'm in the very early stages of learning code so that was about it. Otherwise, absolutely nothing.

Speechless

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2015
Non-gentrified Brooklyn.
I think it really depends on your use cases. Is there anything you can think of that you would use a laptop for? Photo/video processing, coding, high end graphic design, etc? I'm in a similar boat, but I know I'll still need a computer at some point for something. I haven't touched my laptop in over a month, but I know as soon as I get rid of it, I'll need it.

Just beginning of code.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Great suggestions.
I was just on CodeSchool and that seems perfect as well.

Yup. Textastic is pretty dope too. Been using that. Also waiting for that to be updated for iPad Pro as well.

As I've said.. You can do it, it's not as if impossible to do. Federico Viticci of MacStories is the prime example that the iPad can be a viable laptop replacement. Just have to build the confidence and desire to do so.

Reactions: Speechless

Speechless

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2015
Non-gentrified Brooklyn.
Yup. Textastic is pretty dope too. Been using that. Also waiting for that to be updated for iPad Pro as well.

As I've said.. You can do it, it's not as if impossible to do. Federico Viticci of MacStories is the prime example that the iPad can be a viable laptop replacement. Just have to build the confidence and desire to do so.

Really appreciate your help. I'll do it. I have the opportunity to give somebody a computer and it seems right. Plus, I'll try to purchase a new one in March before the boot camp starts.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Really appreciate your help. I'll do it. I have the opportunity to give somebody a computer and it seems right. Plus, I'll try to purchase a new one in March before the boot camp starts.

No problem. Glad I can be of help.. What keyboard are you using with the iPP?

Haribo22

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2015
I got my iPad Pro for xmas and use it all the time but I would recommend you keep your macbook as it can come in handy for tasks you can't perform on your iPad.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I've been using the on screen one, lol. I guess I gotta get that smart keyboard or something. Keyboards have been the talk of the town these forums, but I haven't really researched them. Any suggestions?
I just got the Apple smart keyboard after debating with myself for what seems like forever about whether I even needed it or not. Now that I have it, I've been loving it and using it nonstop. Typing this with it right now!

If you're going to coding boot camp though, isn't it pretty much required that you have a laptop? Or do they provide desktops for you guys to use? Not sure how that works. Would be interested to know though.

For me personally, 99% of my needs are met with my iPad pro and that includes coding. For whatever I can't do, I remote into a Mac through splash top and have access to OS X on my iPad like that. Nice for the few times I wanna use terminal or an IDE that isn't available on iPad

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I've been using the on screen one, lol. I guess I gotta get that smart keyboard or something. Keyboards have been the talk of the town these forums, but I haven't really researched them. Any suggestions?

It's entirely up to you... Everyone has their own preference.

I had thoughts of getting the Smart Keyboard, but I bought the Smart Cover & I prefer how it provides two angles compared to just one with the Smart Keyboard.

Decided on getting a external keyboard.. Tried the Logitech Keys-To-Go, but I wanted more of a traditional typing sort of feel.. So, tried the Microsoft Mobile Foldable Keyboard. Couldn't really adjust to the split down the middle, but the typing felt pretty good though

Next up, the new Magic Keyboard.. But my issue was it really didn't have any dedicated iPad keys & another issue was it was white & I had the Space Gray iPP. So, I checked Amazon & seen the K811 Logitech keyboard was discounted from 99 to 74.. So, I went with it. Enjoy the backlit keys & fast switching Bluetooth feature.

Speechless

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2015
Non-gentrified Brooklyn.
I just got the Apple smart keyboard after debating with myself for what seems like forever about whether I even needed it or not. Now that I have it, I've been loving it and using it nonstop. Typing this with it right now!

If you're going to coding boot camp though, isn't it pretty much required that you have a laptop? Or do they provide desktops for you guys to use? Not sure how that works. Would be interested to know though.

For me personally, 99% of my needs are met with my iPad pro and that includes coding. For whatever I can't do, I remote into a Mac through splash top and have access to OS X on my iPad like that. Nice for the few times I wanna use terminal or an IDE that isn't available on iPad

I definitely need a computer for boot camp. Not even an option. However, I have months before that happens. I'll just buy a shiny new Mac when the time comes and call it a day. Definitely giving it to someone who needs it more than me for the time right now.

That smart keyboard looks really nice!

Reactions: TWO2SEVEN

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
Federico Viticci of MacStories is the prime example that the iPad can be a viable laptop replacement. Just have to build the confidence and desire to do so.

I've been following Viticci's stories and I do like the way he works on his iPad. On the other hand his stories also show how inefficient working on an iPad can be, because almost anything except the basic tasks involves workarounds and convoluted workflows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.