Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I've been following Viticci's stories and I do like the way he works on his iPad. On the other hand his stories also show how inefficient working on an iPad can be, because almost anything except the basic tasks involves workarounds and convoluted workflows.

Inefficient? Not sure I would use that word... Because I could argue that using an iPad is more versatile & flexible compared to having a Mac.

Obviously, with the iPad being built on iOS can have limitations... But from the standpoint of having touch input & the ability to use a external keyboard, there can be a greater functionality compared to OSX. Don't get me wrong... OSX is a more powerful OS compared to iOS.

But I wouldn't call Viticci's methods inefficient... He chooses to use the iPad as its main computing device and iOS provides ways to get work done whether its unconventional.. It works.

Reactions: ZombiePete

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I don't own a computer as my computing needs are fairly basic. As such, the IPP fits the bill for me. Haven't used a desktop at home since 2011. However I do have a USB hard drive hooked up to my router which serves as a home file server. It really depends on your computing needs.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I think this is why the Surface 4 seems to be hitting its stride and why Apple would be wise to open up iOS for iPad to greater development. The Surface is only an "OK" tablet but as a sole device people probably feel more comfortable with it than an iPad in current form.

To the OP, how much can you sell the MacBook Pro for? Would you be able to get an older MacBook Air and pocket a difference? If so, maybe it would be easier to try "cutting the cord" knowing you have a fallback plan.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
i have the opportunity to give my retina MacBook Pro to someone in my family who needs a computer..and I think I might be able to do it. Ever since I purchased the iPad Pro, I have not touched my computer for any task that I need. Something I never in a million years thought I would do.

Now it's crunch time, and I need to make a decision..however the thought of no longer having a laptop scares the hell out of me. Especially losing a computer that I LOVED and never stopped using (until now) ever since 2012.

Truth be told, I never even dreamed about this thing replacing my laptop - but it did. I purchased it on the 22nd of December and just wanna make sure that I'm making the right decision. If all else fails and I end up missing my computer more than ever, nothing stops me from buying a new one around the next refresh - but I don't even think I will need to do that.

Just seeking some advice or people in a similar situation.

Not one of these threads again.

If you, with your use case, have zero need for a laptop/desktop, you've answered your own question.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
First you have to evaluate the task you do on a daily basis and see how your able to cope with not having a traditional laptop. As for me... I'm using my iPad Pro as a laptop replacement, but I do have a desktop for certain things which is primarily for storing videos on my Plex server.

But for typical average user task the iPad Pro handles it fairly well.
So it's not in fact a laptop replacement. In this context, replacing is 100%. If some say, no thats wrong, then everyone who owns an iPad and a laptop/desktop has replaced it, so the topic becomes moot.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I've been following Viticci's stories and I do like the way he works on his iPad. On the other hand his stories also show how inefficient working on an iPad can be, because almost anything except the basic tasks involves workarounds and convoluted workflows.
I think that sums it up. I'm all for an iPad being more and more productive and capable,but until Apple sees the light and promote it as a laptop replacement, it won't be for most of us.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
The only thing I can think of is coding. I have a boot camp that start in April and planned on learning more and more by that time. The App Store offers a lot of programs but I'm still searching around to see if it's doable on this.
I am hoping this is a parody thread. How do you get dressed in the morning? If you are doing any coding keeping the laptop is a no brainer.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I am hoping this is a parody thread. How do you get dressed in the morning? If you are doing any coding keeping the laptop is a no brainer.

So, by your logic... There is absolutely NO WAY to code on the iPad. Granted there is not a X-Code degree of coding... But coding can be done on apps like Coda, Pythonsia, Textastic & plenty other coding apps.

Obviously, the OP just wanted some words of encouragement before going forward. Yes, the iPad can serve as a laptop replacement... Case closed. I'm sure the majority probably don't feel that way... But the point of the matter is that it's indeed possible.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
So, by your logic... There is absolutely NO WAY to code on the iPad. Granted there is not a X-Code degree of coding... But coding can be done on apps like Coda, Pythonsia, Textastic & plenty other coding apps.

Obviously, the OP just wanted some words of encouragement before going forward. Yes, the iPad can serve as a laptop replacement... Case closed. I'm sure the majority probably don't feel that way... But the point of the matter is that it's indeed possible.
The issue is compiling and working with industry software. Who cares what the majority MR posters think--they can't even figure out how to keep track of the pencil

Reactions: mrex

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
London, UK
IMO given that I'm in a similar boat to OP and about to make the same decision, I think that it's doable to move the daily computing needs to an iPP, as long as you have a fallback device (library, work, friend, etc). In full disclosure, I am a student and last year I had to spend 3 months working just from an iPad Air 2, and it wasn't too bad, wrote a few essays (2500+words) and made a short video for the company I was interning for at the time, the screen size was the only problem to effectively multi-task. For my daily needs, and I would assume a lot of university students as well, the iPP would be a sufficient replacement.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Don't do it.

I'm strongly considering dumping my Pro. Laptop stuff needs a laptop, so ipad stuff is hard on the Pro since it's so big. Hard to enjoy web browsing and reading when your afraid you'll bop your face with the giant thing.

Keep the laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.