I'm curious what you'll all do if...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LewisF, Feb 16, 2010.

1. LewisF macrumors member

I'm curious what you'll all do if the update doesn't happen till june....

I'm personally sick of waiting and i'm going to get the 27" imac (when the shipping time isnt so long....) and an ipad, i barely use my laptop out of its usual spot anyway, and not usually for anything major.

I'm curious what are you guys going to do? just keep waiting? there will be mac related suicides if this is the case....

Most people have been waiting since early december saying "new ones are coming" when truth be told there is no real evidence atall.... i wouldn't be surprised if they didn't come till summer now and maybe just did the full upgrade of the body usb 3.0 etc then....

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'll kill myself due to more of these types of threads.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Let's beat that dead horse!

In theory I do not wait for tech. I simply buy what is there if it suits my needs. However, I don't really need a new MBP today so I've opted to sit around. When the time comes and I can't stand my netbook any longer then sure, I'll buy. If there is an update expected shortly though I usually wait but if there are signs that the update cycle is being broke I, again, will buy what is there because it is likely better than what I have.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nothing since I'm not buying a new laptop for a few more years.

Yeah, people have shifted in over-drive with the anticipation of a new MBP. So much so, I'm sure many will be disappointed when it does hit because their expectations are now so far out of reality that what ever apple does, it will not be enough.

5. Razeus macrumors 601

6. LewisF thread starter macrumors member

i mean sure i was also waiting, but ive given up now...

The point is you cant wait forever, at some point you have to break.... and either jump ship or buy the old tech...

precisely.... i really don't think i'd be satisfied with whatever they do upgrade to at this point, something will be a complete let down and not worth spending all the cash on.... and then obviously will be full of problems...

so i've given up...

7. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

it's simple, people that need a laptop will not have waited, and people who don't need one really shouldn't care when the update comes.

8. Peter95 macrumors member

The problem is not waiting, but it is buying an old laptop for a very high price now.
    Sure the new ones should be coming out, but when?
    I'm not killing myself for waiting, but I am indeed waiting for the refresh, only if there was news on when it will be coming out and price, that would be great but it's all business.
    If Steve announced a date, the MBP sales woul literally stop, and obviously he doesn't want that....
    He'd rather sell as much as possible, get as much money as possible from everyone for their old technology...

9. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting for Quad cores or it's a no go at all. It's the only thing that will help me with a program that is core dependent. I simple can't get much faster at this point with my MBP without Quads. It's maxed out now so nothing I can do but wait. Problem is not sure Apple was even going for Quads. It seems to me they are forgetting about mobile workhorses for the Professional Photographers, Graphic designers and video producers that just need rockets in mobile computing. Seems to me Apple is more consumer oriented now with items being left off like express card ports and some professional limitations to save power and cut costs. Last thing I need is cutting costs on my computing power. I shoot with massive digital backs with a 40 mpx cam and I just flat out need horsepower. Oh well not the end of the world folks and bottom line it's Apples loss if they don't refresh the line.

10. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

As an Apple stockholder I'm GLAD he wants to sell all his "old technology." I read somewhere that the whole "profitability" thing is good.

11. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

its okay if you plan on th selling within a year, but you are trading future earnings potential and market share growth for minimal short term gains

12. moocat macrumors member

Whenever a thread title ends with "..." I just know its going to be lame.

13. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

I really don't think a couple weeks will affect their sales for this quarter, much less anything long term.

14. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

you can think whatever you want, I dont really care

15. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

Thank you for explaining your point so clearly and rationally.

16. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

My next apple laptop will probably be quad core, 8gb of ram and a 256+ gb SSD. Some time in 2012 I think. So apart from curiosity, I don't really care when the update will come.

I got my first unibody 13" in July, the second in November and if my laptop failed tomorrow and I didn't have warranty, I'd probably get what's on the self now.

17. masterpace macrumors regular

That's the point here. Not only the hardware in current MBP's is obsolete but they are way overpriced. And please, cut the buls... that Mac OS is worthed the price difference. MBP's should be priced around 1000 $ less at least. They are not worthed more than that, even by taking into account their aesthetic design and Snow Leopard OS! That said, a fully loaded 15 " MBP is not worthed more than 1500 $, and that's including the licensing fees for OS X. Paying more than that is simply unrational. Unless you're in deep love with the brand...

18. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I think a 200 dollar 13" MBP would be pretty sweet.

19. WHM macrumors regular

My fault..... sold my early 2008 MacBook Pro 10 days ago....my plan was to buy a new MacBook Pro and the low end iPad when they come out. Now I am looking at MacBook Air on Craigslist and if I get a deal will buy the Air and use it until the second refresh comes out. I have the new iMac desk top and iPhone so I can live without a new Pro for awhile and the Air will do what I was going to use the iPad for...travel and mostly emails and web searching. I have made offers on two Airs so far and now thinking about a refrubished for $1099.. slighly more but can do much more than the iPad in my opinion...

20. masterpace macrumors regular

O.k. My apologizes here. Forget about the 13" MBP. I'm more talking about the high end 15" and the 17". Although a 200 $ 13" MBP would be a sweet deal...

21. modular macrumors regular

i auto ignore everyone who starts their posts with this sentence.

22. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

Good for you.

23. AppleNerd96 macrumors newbie

Fixed that for you.

24. jackbenimble4 macrumors member

I don't mind waiting. I've got a good six months to wait.