iPad I'm disappointed (again) with Apple (Safari Crashes)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NeoiPad, Feb 23, 2014.

1. NeoiPad, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014

NeoiPad macrumors member

I bough my iPad Air the on the launching day, and in iOS 7 Safari crashed several times a day, and the tabs were always reloading

I then updated my iPad to the iOS 7.1 Beta and the problems disappeared

But evasion launched his jailbreak and I came back to iOS 7

I have been 1 month with iOS 7 and this is getting me very angry

Safari crashes 6 or 7 times a day and I am always with fear because of the reloading tabs,.
    I'm now writing this thread, if I go to another tab, the things I've been written will disappear when I go back to this tab

I don't want safari to crash but I love Jailbreak because I found it very useful (tweaks like Noslowanimations...), and I love my iPad, but the crashes are painful

PD: sorry for my english, I'm spanish

2. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Don't worry, you're not alone.

Indeed very poor play by Apple, the have let this happen for too long now. iOS 8 is pretty much around the corner and it's a shame that this crashing issue on Safari still exists months on.

3. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

Mine only crashed on my ipad. Not sure why, but indeed driving me crazy!

4. NeoiPad thread starter macrumors member

Screen resolution + not enough RAM

I suppose...

5. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

I'm disappointed (again) with Apple (Safari Crashes)

Ipad 4 is overly differing in specs than an iPhone 5?
    This is only post ios7.

Also why would screen resolution cause an app crash?

6. NeoiPad, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014

NeoiPad thread starter macrumors member

Lack of RAM

More resolution = more ram required
    64 bit = more ram required

7. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Larger use of RAM.

A move to 64bit architecture, without upping the ram, means less effective ram than the ipad4. Apple chose $$$ over a satisfactory user experience.

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

That's what's holding me back from buying an Air. I rarely have a crash on my iPad 2 running iOS 7. I'm actually leaning on a Samsung Galaxy Pro tablet and wait for the 2nd Gen Air.

9. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Go with the next rev. It will have to have 2gigs of ram. Also, expect to see a TON of airs for sale once the 2gigs of ram version gets announced.

10. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I am incredibly disappointed with my iPad Air. Its such a lovely device but the browsing experience is so bad it had taken the shine off using it. In fact it has taken the shine of Apple in general for me. The browser crashing should have been sorted with a hotfix soon after the iPad Air launch however months on and its still terrible.

Lets say iOS7.1 comes out in March and I upgrade to the next iPad which comes out in October. That means I will have only had 7 months of satisfactory use from it (even then apparently not all crashes are resolved).

Apple claims that they like to focus on fewer things but get them right. They also claim that all they care about is making customers happy. The Safari issue goes directly against both of these statements.

----------

This is spot on, 2GB of RAM will be introduced and all of this will be quietly forgotten about like it never happened.

11. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

The feedback regarding iOS 7.1 has been mainly positive about safari. Why not wait and see what this does? It will be out soon.....

12. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Believe me I know the disadvantages of not waiting but it comes with little to no risk unless 7.1 is not released soon. Why? Well I got a 32gb this morning at BB for $75 off AND another 10% off because they had an open box. That basically made it come to one purchasing a new 16gb more or less.

I can return it up till 45 days cause I am an elite plus member. 7.1 should be out within that time but if not and I do not like what I am experiencing either way, back it goes.

No problem so far but it has only been a few hours. I tried crashing the display model at BB but I could not do it. There were reloads of web pages as I opened many but no crashes on that one or the one I purchased.

13. Crusader007 macrumors member

Firefox is the best. Currently I use Safari only for large file downloads, but no browsing.

14. Rodster macrumors 68040

I just installed Mercury web browser and it's a really nice browser on the iPad.

15. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

waiting for 7.1, if issues are not fixed, will sell my ipad for a laptop

the crash is getting really annoying cuz i use it 5+ hrs at work 5 days a week

16. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Because the reports are that the constant refresh issue is still present.

17. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I will live with some refreshing but not crashes. Time will tell what I experience on this Air. None of the latter yet .

By the way, the Samsung Pro 10.1 refreshes with chrome. Tried it at BB this morning and I am not sure the amount of ram on that device but ...

18. skveezer macrumors newbie

skveezer

<shaking my head>

:confused:

It never ceases to amaze me how some people buy something that is engineered to operate a certain way, turn right around and start screwing with it by either cracking the operating system, adding whatever or removing whatever just to see if it will work "better" than the engineered version. Amazing. Why not leave it alone and enjoy the fact that it works as advertised? Most of you sound like you would buy an expensive car and then tear it apart - adding more "stuff" that may screw up the original engineering intent.

I have purchased Apple everything (iPads original to 4, iPhones, original thru 5s, MacBook pros, AppleTV 2 and 3 etc) because I got sick and tired of futzing with MS and all the other operating systems etc. I bought and stayed with Apple because everything I have purchased, operates perfectly and continues to to this day. Plain and simply said: It just WORKS...

In my opinion, if you phuque with anything, be prepared to incur the nuances...

19. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Is it? Ahhhh, well have to see then.

This is so hard for me to wrap my head around because it just doesn't happen to me. I have purposely had 2-3 tabs open and on web forms that required user input just to see what happens when I switched around and all that. Nothing. No reloads or lost data and I know that the refreshes do ruin it for people that are filling out a form online. Heck, right now I have this forum, a precious metals forum, and one other tab working and none are refreshing when I switch back and forth to them. Maybe mine has 1.5 GB of RAM? :D

It doesn't seem like everyone suffers from this either. Just crazy.

20. Rodster macrumors 68040

The Galaxy Pro 8.4 and 10.1 have 2GB and the 12.2 has 3GB.

21. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Can't really go by store standards unless you check out the unit first. I can hand my phone, or iPad to my son, and in five minutes, he can start up 10 apps easy. No amount of ram is going to let the browser hold up to that kind of use.

Most folks complaining have used their iPad, killed off the other apps, and have their safari tabs refreshing all the time. A restart is needed to go back to somewhat acceptable usage, for a little while - then boom, constant reloading again.

22. Rodster, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014

Rodster macrumors 68040

Yeah, it's really tough to say what's causing these reloads and crashes. I'm sure Apple knows why. It's 50/50 whether going from 1 to 2GB will fix the problem. Each OS is different and uses a different memory manager.

I don't see the problem because I only use one tab and it's something I do both on Android and iOS. It could totally be a Safari issue and not the lack of ram.

On my 1st gen Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 the built in web browser which is pretty good will crash a lot but if I use Chrome I never have a problem.

EDIT: I opened 5 tabs in Safari on my iPad 2 and none of them reloaded. They were in the same spot when I went back to them.

23. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

From logs seems that they are using RAM compression, maybe something like they did on Mavericks. So it could be bug with RAM management. Like there was calibration issue with iPhone 5S.
    However, it passed too much time for this major issue because productivity decreased so much.... Was doing project with Keynote and Safari (MBA was taken by sister at that moment) and those crashes killed me totally.

[​IMG]

24. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

I don't think people are futzing around with anything. They're using it the same way they've been using previous iPads and the browsing experience is noticeably worse than before. That is why you're seeing these comments. It doesn't just work this time.

25. biffarino macrumors member

What is this nonsense?