I'm done with PCs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeff3221, Nov 14, 2007.

1. jeff3221 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I have been browsing the posts for weeks now and I felt I needed to get an account by now. So here is my story:
    I got an HP desktop 2 years ago in August that had good specs for its time and now: amd athlon 3500+, 250 gb hd , 1 gb memory, 2.2 GHz and good graphics. I bought it from best buy and got a 3 year service plan.
    So In December of 05 the hard drive broke. They gave me an option of either sending it out to geek squad (gs) or have them fix it in the store with a 200 GB HD. I decided to have them fix it so I wouldn't have to wait weeks.
    So In september this year the hard drive broke again. They sent it out to GS headquarters and I got it back in mid october. So it worked fine for a week and all of a sudden i heard loud noises. I brought it back to best buy and they said it was the hard drive. It turns out at GS headquarters they replaced the motherboard and hard drive. I got it back this past saturday. On saturday I spent all day geting my files back and programs and i noticed the front ports didnt work (memory card reader, 3 usb and firewire).
    The no lemon policy on my warranty says after the third repair, on the fourth repair, up to the managers discretion, you get a similar comp. or store credit. I was all excited to get store credit and get a Macbook(SR 2.0 White). I went to best buy and they only had two repairs in theire system. So it turns out for the first repair in store, they didnt put it in the system since it is not aloud to do repairs in store.So according to them I only had two repairs. I was furious and said i wanted to speak to a manager but he wasn't there. Meanwhile they are shipping the sytem to GS headquarters because they think the motherboard is bad.
    So what do you guys think I should say to the manager, should I start yelling? tell me what you think of my story.

This not only turned me away from HPs but I will never buy another PC either. I will also not get a warranty from best buy if I get it there.

2. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

I suggest you talk calmly to the manager and explain that you have definitely had the number of repairs required.

I do not recommend that you yell. Nor should you plead your case to the other customers until Best Buy has no choice but to eject you (don't shake your head, it's been done!).

3. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

If you have documentation proving the number of times it's been repaired then they HAVE to honor that. I would insist on that as well. Provide all the documentation and firmly (do not yell and scream it won't get you anywhere) demand they fix the computer error and honor the 3 strikes.

You don't wanna hear my opinion of HP's. In my pc experience I've only bought ONE brand of pc and that was in 1995. The rest of the time I built my own.

and I NEVER suggest anyone get warranty from Best Buy. Some people think extended warranties are rip offs. Best buy's warranty IS a rip off.

4. jeff3221 thread starter macrumors regular

they never gave me documentation

For the first repair in the store, I am guesiing they are not aloud to do. They are defineitly not aloud to do it now, but in 2005 I am not sure. Now they have to ship it to GS. They therefore didnt put it in their sytem or give me documentation.

I am actually glad I got the extended warranty. It was $150 and it got me 3 hard drives and what is going to be two motherboards. I dont knoiw how much that would have cost but I think it evensd out. I just wish i hadn't gotten a pc or hp for that matter.

5. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

You got really bad tech support because you bought the warranty. They only care about selling it, not honoring it. They make most of their profit on the warranties.

I dealt with HP tech support once and it was way better than what you had to go through. Apple's tech support is generally pretty good, too.

I just want to let you know that Apple computers aren't perfect - they mostly use similar parts (hard drive, ram, etc) and anything can go bad at anytime, just like with your HP. So I hope that's not your only reason to switch to Mac.

Definitely don't yell, that's not the way to get what you want. It won't solve anything.

Good luck!

6. jeff3221 thread starter macrumors regular

7. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Yelling won't get you anywhere. Also, you havn't talked to the manager yet so there might not even be a problem. S/he might simply honor the warranty. The person that you talked to wouldn't be able to make that decision.

Just explain what happened, be firm, then see what happens.

Cheers.
    :):apple:

8. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

9. emac82 macrumors 6502

I don't think it's a matter of Best Buy not wanting to help you, they have get to authorization from the Warranty Company to authorize a replacement. The first time you had your hard drive replaced, it was under the manufacturer's warranty, not the extended warranty so it likely doesn't fall under the No Lemon Guarantee, unless your warranty started from Date of Purchase.

If Best Buy can get authorization from the Warranty Administrator, then they will replace your computer. They get paid to replace it, so obviously the more warranty work they do the better it is for them. If they can't get authorization, then if they decide to give you a new computer, it comes out of Best Buy's pocket, not the warranty.

10. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

That sucks but it's not hp's fault because they don't make the components for the computers they simply design them (the case etc.). Have you checked on the internet if people have had similar problems on that model maybe it's just that model of hp.

Going to Mac is only good if you are sick of windows and are willing to relearn a whole new operating system. If you are then thats great and enjoy your mac. Good luck with getting that sorted out though.

11. DataThief macrumors member

When you go back to talk to the manager don't yell and rant, been on the managers side of that and all you do is flip my "This customer is as*&ole" bit and you are not going to get satisfaction out of me now.

I have had both Compaq and HP computers and built many of my own for myself and others, nothing is wrong with HP hardware that is not also wrong with Apple or Dell. Computers are not built from the silicon up by the manufacturer they only assemble the parts that are made by others, and guess what seagate or western digital make the same hdd's for Apple that they do for HP.

Now Tech support is something we can argue, but that involves people and I have come across some real idiots in both Apple and HP and Dell, I am a high level support engineer and you think that the support I reach when I call them when at a customers site should be good right ?, think not, I ask for and wait for only certain support personal that have their stuff together.

Good luck

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

OP, you will get better results from Best Buy if you keep speaking with managers, going progressively higher as you go. I think you should give Best Buy a fair shot to replace your laptop, and if they don't, then contact their regional office.

Out of curiosity, are you a student?

13. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

The managers are generally reasonable, if you explain it to them nicely they may honor the warranty without any argument.

14. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

That's weird!!!

I have had AMAZING luck with Best Buys warranty... I have bought it and used it on four different products in my house, one of which was dishwasher and they replaced it after the 3rd repair....

15. andburn1 macrumors newbie

I'd just like to point out that a Mac is still technically a Personal Computer. It's not Mac vs. PC, it's Mac vs. Windows. Apple would love to have you believe a Mac is something more than just a computer, but, for all its amazingness, it is still nothing more than a Personal Computer.

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yes, this is technically correct. However, vernacular usage perpetuates the view that a Wintel/Windows+AMD machines are "PCs" and that the alternative is a "Mac."

17. fadethis macrumors member

if you have proof of 3 repairs (there should be some record of it between paperwork you have and records in their database, after all you should have signed consent for each occurence) they MUST replace it upon the 4th need of repair. the manager can choose to do it in-store but technically it has to be sent out for an official "approval" from the service center.

and i agree, speak to managers and go as high up as necessary.. don't use anger, that's the quickest way to get yourself SOL.. i used to work there, it was one of our favorite past times to treat rude customers as a form of entertainment :p

18. jeff3221 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all of your help guys! I went to best buy and spoke to a manger calmly and he said he would send out some sort of verification or get one from headquarters so that he can give me another similar HP. I was pretty upset I can only get another hp. I know a computer is a computer, but I was really looking forward to getting money off of my macbook. I desktop doesn't really suit my needs any more (I am a student) and I really dont want to have to deal with vista and hundreds more viruses. So i guess I will give my dad the new computer and I will get my macbook in a few weeks. I will keep you posted on any progress.

19. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Best Buy = Worst Service

I avoid Best Buy like the plague.

20. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Another Laptop Story

Costco.... Those guys used to be amazing. I tried to buy some tires at Costco once. I bought the tires online and was told that my tires had arrived at the local store. I go to the store and the installer tells me that I have to leave my vehicle for 8 hours to get the tires installed! Not acceptable... for a variety of reasons.

So I walk into the customer service desk to return the tires and I see a guy returning a laptop that he had owned for 11 months. The reason he was returning: He did not want it any more! Ha Ha! That is a good one. Costco refunded his money no questions asked. I think they used to charge a restocking fee but still, 11 months use of a laptop for $50 is a pretty good deal!

Needless to say, Costco is not as lenient with their return policy for Consumer Electronics any more.

21. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

If I have to make it to 3 repairs on any device then the products that I am buying from the store are faulty. I usually keep things within the manufacturers warranty and if it fails somewhere in between that I don't want it back, I will get my money back and get a new one. If I have to repair it twice, then I am in the market for a new machine.

My MBP had a faulty audio port that was common on my model, so Apple fixed it for free. If something else breaks on it, it will be on Craigslist in a matter of minutes.

Best Buy sucks, and their employees are imbeciles... the ones in Maryland anyways.

22. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

I worked for a small business about 3years ago that at the time had ordered two new HP computers for myself and another new employee. Both computers had the highest specs available for the time, both had hard drive failures within a year.

Apple's not perfect on defects but they are consistently have one of the lowest %'s in defects as compared to other pc manufacturers (dell, hp, etc) -according to consumer reports if i remember accurately.

23. tmoney468 macrumors 6502a

Considering neither HP nor Apple makes their own hard drives, your point isn't really relevant. It could be that HP uses cheaper HDs in their computers, but it's probably the same case for Apple.

As for Best Buy, I would stay away from them all together, especially for their service. A local channel did an undercover story and found that both Best Buy and Circuit City diagnosed wrong problems for a problematic computer, whereas CompUSA got it right. Link here:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/investigative/14599349/detail.html

24. Creibold macrumors regular

Creibold

I feel for you.

I went through the same thing when my craptop broke. It was an old gateway running on the 1st gen Athlon 64 processor. Anyways, they will give you a replacement like many posters have said: with specs comparable to the original e.i., they gave me something that played games slower than the laptop that I bought a year and a 1/2 ago. It was awful. I waited for a total of a month and 1/2, only to get back the same laptop, but with a new problem! I cannot honestly recommend Gateway laptops to ANYONE, or, for that matter, the dim wits that work at BestBuy. Seriously, the customer service reps I talked to didn't know a God damn thing about computers.,all 4 of them were blonde haired valley girls (not that I have a bias against that ;))!

In the end, i decided to never buy another piece of electronics there again.

Maybe I just got a really, really, really bad store experience, and I hate to condone an entire company for my experience at one store, but dear God. Where I live, they're dim-witted, annoying idiots who no nothing what-so-ever about their own products.

[[ Anyway, the check for my new MBP should be in the mail any day now.... :cool: ]]

25. schreck macrumors regular

Perhaps the employees you dealt with weren't as knowledgeable about a certain product as you were, but really, who cares? If you know so much about everything there, why would you allow them to assist you in the first place?