I'm getting tire of Mighty Mouse....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pbbaker123, Feb 22, 2008.

1. pbbaker123 macrumors regular

I feel like I think about the mouse way too much... but... it is a device that I use constantly. I have used tons of different mice and I always come back to the MM because the scrolling effort of my finger exactly matches what is displayed on the screen. Meaning, when scrolling through long documents with Logitech mice, for a second or two after I stop scrolling, the page is still adjusting and this drives me nuts... The MM is the best mouse out there in terms of accuracy and ease of use. but...

I hate the slick shell. After a few minutes I find it is too slick to hold onto and it is annoying as hell. I want the mouse in its current form, but only not so slippery.

Am I the only one?

Mouseless in Seattle

It just needs some texture...

(Never mind this edit)

2. atarin macrumors regular

I haven't noticed the MM being slick at all. Do you have a lot of oil or sweat on your hands? The MM seems perfect to me.

3. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Yeah, I also don't know what you mean about it being slick. Try others in the Apple store, maybe yours is different? If not, go to the hardware store and buy the finest grain sandpaper that they carry, and gently buff your MM. It will get dirty a lot easier after that, but it should give it the texture I think you want.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

as for Logitech mice "adjusting" the page after you stop scrolling, are you sure you had settings tweaked set to your liking? some Logitech mice (most, I think) come with options to adjust the smoothness of the scroll wheel. adjusting this feature to the least smooth setting would seem to resolve that issue.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I've had a MM in the past and would never, ever go back. It's by far the least accurate, least user-friendly mouse I've used. And I say that as an unabashed apple "fanboy." I now use a logitech MX518 (wired) and my gf uses a logitech vx revolution (wireless, rf). Both are just worlds better than the MM in terms of accuracy and ease of use, IMO.

6. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Using the Logitech VX Nano and love it. I used to have a MM, but replaced it with the VX Nano, and I am much happier.

7. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I tried hard to like the MM, but just couldn't do it. The scroll button started sticking and it seemed like I was cleaning it every day. And the right mouse click, while doable, was the most unintuitive thing I've ever seen from Apple.

Now have two MS mice, wired for the iMac, wireless for the MacBook. Function flawlessly. ( If MS would take the person in charge of their Mouse division and put them in charge of their OS's, they might have something).

8. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

In my personal opinion, the MM (wired) is the second worst mouse after the hockey puck abomination. Other people might have different opinion about it.

9. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

If all you don't like about it is the texture, then that's easily changed. Right off the top of my head I can envision using some strips of nicely textured and colored tape, or putting some stickers on it, or heck even something like bath/shower floor stickies could work. There are lots of possibilities, just use your imagination!

10. pbbaker123 thread starter macrumors regular

Actually its the opposite, some of the materials I work with leave my hands really dried out, thus probably making it slick to my touch....

11. c073186 macrumors 6502a

My Mighty Mouse never even made it out of the plastic wrap. From using the MM in the Apple Store for five minutes I can say I would never want to use it. The MX1000 is infinitely better. In fact, I have three MM in my closet from new computers and am hoping that one day I will find a use for them.

12. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Shocking. :eek:

I love my wireless MM. Not because it is from Apple, but in spite of that fact.

Used constantly daily with NO problems.

To each his . . . . or her own, I suppose.

13. pbbaker123 thread starter macrumors regular

I will take them if you don't want them...

14. julianbc macrumors newbie

That is an awful suggestion.

15. martychang macrumors regular

I know what he means. I like the mighty mouse in functionality, but I feel wrong holding it, not because of it's shape, but because I don't want to touch it, it feels weird.

I can't really compare to most people but I think my fingertips might be oilier than most, because the mighty mouse fels sticky to me after only brief use. If I actually touch my palm to it my palm sweats all over it very fast. This doesn't happen with any other mouse I've ever used...

16. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I love my MX Revolution, the MM never really did it for me.

17. pbbaker123 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I have an old one but I am mobile 99% of the time and it is a little big for me. I also have the VX, which is nice, but I don't like having a USB port tied up...

18. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Why don't you get the Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 It works great comfortable for long use and it's very smooth connects instantly.

19. pbbaker123 thread starter macrumors regular

Besides being developed by Satin, does it have a 360 scroll wheel?

A mouse I tried that is very cool, and I enjoyed very much was this one:

http://us.kensington.com/html/13880.html

It was cool, but the scrolling was not accurate enough for me so I got my 100 bucks back..

20. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

I went looking to buy a new mouse yesterday and it drove me insane.

All the mice in the store (about twenty to thirty diff. kinds), were being sold as "optical" mice, or "laser" mice. WTF is that supposed to mean? :confused:

There are no "ball" mice for sale anymore at all, so all mice must use some kind of laser (i.e. "optical"), technology right? But these were all advertised as if it was some cool new feature. The guy in the store kept trying to tell me that I should make sure and get a "laser" mouse as the non laser ones weren't worth it, but he couldn't point to a "non laser" mouse or describe what that was. :rolleyes:

To make it worse I was looking for a bluetooth mouse to work with my MacPro but only one of the ten or so "wireless" or "wire-free" mice actually said it was bluetooth. I mean I can't figure out what the hell else they would use if they weren't using bluetooth wireless, but none of them said that, so how are you to know if they will even work with your computer? On the other hand, if they do use bluetooth, why not put the logo somewhere on the box so you know if it works with it?

Additionally, most of the "wireless" mice, had a dongle that came with it that fitted into a receptacle on the mouse housing when not in use. So does that mean that you *need* to use that dongle to make it work? Or will it work with standard bluetooth? Who knows?

It's like the mouse makers were trying to stop me from buying a mouse. At first I thought it was just London Drugs, but then I went to Future Shop and saw the exact same thing. 20 or 30 diff. kinds of mice and not one had enough information on the box to make a decision as to whether to buy it. At the same time, a lot of the Microsoft ones had detailed specs on the side as to what particular wireless frequency range they used, but unless you are a line-worker for the local telephone company how are you supposed to get anything out of that kind of info?

Crazy.

21. pbbaker123 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, a nice point to this pointless thread.

Kensington makes the most Mac friendly mice IMO. I just need some grip tape on my MM and I will be happy.

22. Galapp macrumors regular

well, I don't really like the MM... it is really annoying...

23. martychang macrumors regular

Optical mice are the older technology, they use LED lights and generally generate visible light. They are less sensitive than Laser mice.

Laser mice are the new hotness, they are ultrasensitive, and I haven't seen one with a visible beam personally. Laser mice are nicer but will take some getting used to if you've never used one before, you hardly move your hand and it flies across the screen.

24. kolax macrumors G3

I have a wireless Might Mouse and hate the fact it uses a laser rather than conventional optics. The wired Might Mouse uses optics, which is better since when you lift it just off the surface, you can move it without the cursor moving.

Where as the wireless one, because of its laser, if you lift it just off the surface to reposition the mouse, the cursor moves! Drives the hell out of me.

I'm not a fan of mouses as I love the trackpad, but when it comes to Photoshop and a mouse beats the trackpad, I really can't stand the Mighty Mouse either. Just isn't a professional mouse for comfort or for ease of use.

25. kolax macrumors G3

Because not all wireless mice and keyboards are bluetooth. Some require a USB dongle as they operate on their own RF.