Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I catch myself doing things like trying to use the trackpad for spaces, gestures in general, thinking boy wouldn't it be nice to have an extra desktop, trying to press spacebar while navigating folders for quick preview. Remembering I can't easily take a cropped snapshot of an area of the screen... sometimes I wonder how I ever managed without OS X.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I catch myself doing things like trying to use the trackpad for spaces, gestures in general, thinking boy wouldn't it be nice to have an extra desktop, trying to press spacebar while navigating folders for quick preview. Remembering I can't easily take a cropped snapshot of an area of the screen... sometimes I wonder how I ever managed without OS X.

Strange, I use my Macbook Pro on the daily and use a PC at work. I don't seem have any issues transitioning between two.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I haven't used a windows machine for any length of time for well over 3 years now. I have no idea how to do anything technical like I used to be able to. Its just horribly confusing and awfully laid out.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I didn't have any issues with windows, until windows 8 come out. now i have no idea what 'm doing with it

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Control Panel completely screws with my head :eek: Takes me so long to go where I need to go.

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Strange, I use my Macbook Pro on the daily and use a PC at work. I don't seem have any issues transitioning between two.

If you deal with Windows on a daily basis that may explain why you have no issues. I can still run a lot of commands and configure Windows properly, it's just there are a number of minor inconveniences that simply frustrate me. They're all glaring examples of Microsoft's lack of focus on user experience and attention to detail.

I haven't used a windows machine for any length of time for well over 3 years now. I have no idea how to do anything technical like I used to be able to. Its just horribly confusing and awfully laid out.

I know right. I still have a bit of information lurking around in the back of my head. I managed to do a clean install of Windows and streamline their PC to run like new, but I would be lying if I said it didn't feel clunky and inefficient.

I didn't have any issues with windows, until windows 8 come out. now i have no idea what 'm doing with it

I actually tried Windows 8 during Consumer Preview. I was not impressed, and even after having used a Windows Vista and Windows 7 laptop in close proximity to my experimentation with the OS, I was still completely lost. I have no idea why they would remove so many fundamental things, it just felt harder to do everything even though I know they're trying their hardest to improve user experience. I have a feeling Windows 8 will go the way of Windows 2000 and Windows Vista.

Control Panel completely screws with my head :eek: Takes me so long to go where I need to go.

Agreed, even when I used Windows on a daily basis I would have to dig around control panel in classic view to find things. Seemed like it was overly complex and things weren't really in logical places to find them. I eventually get frustrated and find the run command for what I'm looking for via Google and just do that instead.

Anyways like I said, the entire Windows platform just doesn't feel nearly as "convenient" as OS X. There's a lot of hurdles to jump through to do even simple things. At least they released MSE, which helped simplify the problem with virus and malware. MSE has been a lifesaver for my grandparents, who are simply ignorant in a lot of respects and tend to download malicious software (hence the initial reinstall).

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
Up until this August whenever I used windows 7 it was almost always for games so just involved powering up and starting the game so I didn't find much of a problem. I did try to get mission control up a fair few times though!

Since starting my new job I endured 2 months of XP before migrating to my personal MBP. It was horrible, slow and laggy (that was the machine not windows) But the biggest issue I found was that I have no idea where apps, system files, app data etc. etc. is found on windows machines! I started taking the lovely OS X file system for granted!

----------

Another note - I won't go anywhere near Windows 8 :p tried it on a friend's laptop and it's simply awful!

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
If you deal with Windows on a daily basis that may explain why you have no issues. I can still run a lot of commands and configure Windows properly, it's just there are a number of minor inconveniences that simply frustrate me. They're all glaring examples of Microsoft's lack of focus on user experience and attention to detail.

Both OSs frustrate me. Each new updates to OSX makes me curl inside.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England

Probably because you use them both every day... you don't get chance to get too used to one over the other.

I use a Windows PC 2 hours a week (statistics class), and it's awful going back to it after using OS X the rest of the time... I find myself trying to use hot-corners for mission control and show desktop...

The biggest thing for me is the "help" menu in the menu bar, and spotlight. They're both such lifesavers!

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Probably because you use them both every day... you don't get chance to get too used to one over the other.

I use a Windows PC 2 hours a week (statistics class), and it's awful going back to it after using OS X the rest of the time... I find myself trying to use hot-corners for mission control and show desktop...

The biggest thing for me is the "help" menu in the menu bar, and spotlight. They're both such lifesavers!

As I previously said, both give me a lot of frustrations. Not having the snap feature on OSX is a pain and I also find multitasking harder. The longer I use OSX and the more it updates, the more I start hating it and wanting to go back to Windows full time.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
At least Windows 7 toolbar is superior to the OSX offering, hate having to go to mission control just to navigate through several open programs :rolleyes:

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012

I do that all the time when using a Windows laptop and it's moments like that when I am reminded how cool my MacBook Pro is.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
At least Windows 7 toolbar is superior to the OSX offering, hate having to go to mission control just to navigate through several open programs :rolleyes:

and do not forget things like 5 button mice work natively with windows. On macs it requires 3rd party software.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
I make sure that I use mouse when using Windows. Whenever someone puts a trackpad in front of me, I just go into 'Apple gesture' mode.

Renzatic

Suspended
Bah. Wimps! All of you! WIIIMMPPPSS!

I use OSX and Windows all the time, and I fly through each one of them effortlessly and with an almost shoclicifying amount of a grace. I'm like a geek zephyr on the light airy ethers over here.

Hell, I've even mastered Windows 8. I am that awesome.
arms.gif

It's also a small wonder I ever get laid.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

I use windows daily, including the server flavors - This statement is FTW. I'm having difficulty with win8 to the point I've opted not to upgrade. I'm happy with win7 and I see no benefit (for me) with win8 when I use my mac 99% of the time.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Remembering I can't easily take a cropped snapshot of an area of the screen... sometimes I wonder how I ever managed without OS X.

Your point isn't lost here, but when it comes to screenshots on a windows box I use Jing. Of course it helps that I have admin rights to exercise that option.

Renzatic

Suspended
I use windows daily, including the server flavors - This statement is FTW. I'm having difficulty with win8 to the point I've opted not to upgrade. I'm happy with win7 and I see no benefit (for me) with win8 when I use my mac 99% of the time.

Win8 is goofy in the sense that they changed a bunch, and none of the new ways to do stuff pops out at you immediately, but once you do learn it, you might find it faster and easier to use. Like you have access to every single thing you need to tweak and run Windows right from the bottom left corner of the screen. It makes everything so much faster and easier to access, but you won't know it's there unless you stumble across it by accident or someone tells you.

It's hardly MS' next Vista, but it is minimalist to the point of being ridiculous at times.

----------

Your point isn't lost here, but when it comes to screenshots on a windows box I use Jing. Of course it helps that I have admin rights to exercise that option.

Why don't you all just use the snipping tool?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Win8 is goofy in the sense that they changed a bunch, and none of the new ways to do stuff pops out at you immediately,
The problem for me, is I use the start->run to execute so many tasks, whether I'm starting up a RDP session to a server or going into the command shell.

Since they killed the start menu (I know there's utilities to bring it back) it appears to be a huge step backwards in terms of my effeciency and ease of use. Basically, why should I spend $$ on the OS that will make me work harder.

One major measurement for me on the value of an operating system is how well does it allow me to work the way I want to work. I don't really want to change my habits to fit into the operating system's, but vice versa - the OS should allow me to work without getting in the way. Win7 does this very well, OSX is good also, even if its not as flexible as windows

Renzatic

Suspended
The problem for me, is I use the start->run to execute so many tasks, whether I'm starting up a RDP session to a server or going into the command shell.

Since they killed the start menu (I know there's utilities to bring it back) it appears to be a huge step backwards in terms of my effeciency and ease of use. Basically, why should I spend $$ on the OS that will make me work harder.

Actually, the run menu is in about the same place it's always been, it's just now tucked away. All you have to do is go to the bottom left corner of the screen, right click...

...and there it is.

I find it easier to hit because the corner of the screen is a very large target in UI terms, and a quick flick of the mouse up.

Or you can pin run to the new start screen.

Everything you're used to is still there, waiting for you. Just moved around and hidden a bit.

One major measurement for me on the value of an operating system is how well does it allow me to work the way I want to work. I don't really want to change my habits to fit into the operating system's, but vice versa - the OS should allow me to work without getting in the way. Win7 does this very well, OSX is good also, even if its not as flexible as windows

I could argue that the new changes might be better in the long run, but yeah, you are right to a point. One of OSX's biggest strengths is that it hasn't changed all that much over the past 10 years. You've got a few new things added here and there, but you're still using Mountain Lion about the same way you'd use Tiger.

On the flip side, MS' biggest weakness is that they can't ever seem to leave well enough alone. Every couple of releases they'll start mixing and matching everything, and confuse the hell out of people. Even if it is ultimately better, when you're used to doing things a certain way, you tend to get a little pissed off when things don't work the way you expect. Take the ribbon interface in Office for a good example. It's easy to navigate, makes what used to be hidden under stacks and stacks of nested menus obvious and up front, and all other kinds of good stuff. People new to Office love it. Makes learning it easier for them. People who have been used to Office for years though? They hate it. And for good reason. They have to spend hours relearning the UI before they're as quick and efficient as they used to be. It's understandable why they'd develop a grudge against it.

I'm pretty open to change since I like goofing around with stuff. Everything is like a new toy to me. I'd like to think there's a happy medium between Apple's conservative approach to UI updates, and MS' go hog wild and change everything spiel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.