I'm going 5th Generation!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iLike2Touch, Sep 29, 2010.

1. iLike2Touch macrumors member

I know it's too early for 5th Generation iPod touch discussion, but I would just like to say that the latest hardware update isn't enough to get me to buy it.

Retina display, it is gorgeous - but non IPS. Dual cameras, cool for Facetime, but whats with the 0.7 MP stills? Still 256 MB RAM? No vibration.

And the prices are outrageous (especially in Canada, 249 for 8GB).

Who agrees with me?

2. Abscissa macrumors regular

If it makes waffles and wipes my ass I'll buy it.

3. AppleCode macrumors regular

AppleCode

Yah, i do find the specs you mentioned "original" but lets not forget retina displays are new for apple. Its easier to put a good video camera in a thin device than a still camera as we saw on the ipod nano. do you find that 256 mbs are not sufficient? but i do agree with you on price it is pretty steep in Canada

4. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

two things got me to buy it (begrudgingly): the high resolution, and multitasking. the camera is a "MEH" for me--it SUCKS. my cell has a far superior camera. I'm not regretting I bought it, but I do see your point, as it's a small evolutionary step up from 3G.

5. Abscissa macrumors regular

Multitasking is available on the other iPod Touches. Excluding the 1G I think...

6. Bitcrusher macrumors member

Yeah, and no phone? wtf apple?

Why not just get it, use it 2 years, sell it and buy the 5th gen?

7. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

some people find selling such things to be more trouble than it's worth.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't blame you, OP. I rarely buy the next upgrade for iPhones. I plan on keeping my current one for 2 years.

9. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

WRONG. you can't m/task on the 2G.

10. Abscissa macrumors regular

I see. I just jailbreak as I don't really count apple multitasking as multitasking.

11. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

WRONG. You CAN multitask.... the Apple apps. The 2nd gen iPod Touches cannot take advantage of the expanded multitasking capabilities of iOS 4.x.

12. iLike2Touch thread starter macrumors member

Well, I jailbroke my iPod touch and its running faster and better. I enabled Multitasking but turned off wallpapers.

The multitasking works like a charm, I don't know why Apple omitted it? The battery life is also the same.

13. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

If you keep waiting for next gen you will never buy anything since you will just be waiting year after year.....

14. unb3k4nn7 macrumors newbie

Yeah have fun waiting for 5th generation one year and being disappointed again cause you get your hopes up seeing what the iphone will get. People need to get over the things the Ipod Touch doesn't have.

Compare it to similar devices on the market right now, sure, there are some with better audio quality, but there is none with the entertainment factor the touch has.

Also the "buy - use one year - sell" strategy works very well. Would not work with devices from other brands.

Your rambling about the price is pretty funny for us european people. :rolleyes:

15. chrisworld macrumors member

I'm honestly surprised that they beefed the CPU but didn't give it more ram. The iPhone 4 has 512, why not the touch? We could use a bit more. I'll be waiting until they give the thing a better camera and more ram. The 720p video looks good but that 0.7 mp still taking bothers me. I'm also waiting for 128 or 160 GB flash.

16. iLike2Touch thread starter macrumors member

^ Yea - the iPod touch normally follows the iPhone in RAM and processor. :confused:

17. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

No guarantee the 5th generation will be anything more than a faster processor or more RAM. That's why I skipped the 3rd, as it was basically just a speed bump over the 2nd.

I recommend waiting for the 17th gen. SJ will be retired by then, and Apple will finally come out with something truly original again. JMHO

18. SlamJam12 macrumors regular

Anticipation

I don't what to look forward to, the iPhone going to a different carrier this winter or the next iPods (the iPod touch and the fate of iPod classic)?

19. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

talk about a cop out! LOL! As a 2 years long owner of a 2G touch I'm fully aware of it's capabilities, going back to OS 2.x, so i don't need any smart aleck comments from you about how it "multitasks". you KNOW what we are discussing here-- iOS 4 multitasking. Not the severely limited abilities that go back to 2.x.

20. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I disagree...
    This is an mp3 player, not a phone. Do you honestly believe apple will update ipod touch to IPS display, higher camera and 512 ram by next year?

The prices are not outrageous because apple always charges more for their products. It costs money to be apple's customer. It's just as simple as that. I have not yet to see a mp3 player that has such a high resolution screen with 2 cameras. So, I don't see what your point really is. If you think apple will fix all of that for you with price drop by next year, then... haha.

21. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

QFT.

22. iLike2Touch thread starter macrumors member

^^ Based on Apple's recent moves, the next generation iPod touch will be a lesser upgrade... probably something similar to the second generation to third generation transition.

250 dollars is a giant rip off considering that last year's base model was only 199 (Canadian). Yes, I know that the base model last year was a 2nd generation, not third but I know SO many people who bought one because it was affordable.

My point is, to create a discussion about people who are (somewhat) satisfied with the recent update but not satisfied enough to buy it.

To be honest, if the current iPod touch had 512 RAM, I would but it. That's the only feature holding me back. The camera's purpose is for quick FB snapshots anyway. :)

23. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

OP,

The iPhone already has every single item you specified. And more. I gather from the fact that you're holding out for an iPod Touch that you don't already have an iPhone.

If you're on a phone contract already you can cancel it for a fee and make the switch or simply upgrade to the iPhone. If you're not on a phone plan you're already ahead. Go get one.

On the other hand maybe you don't want an iPhone. Suddenly the iPod Touch is a sweet deal, which invalidates your cost argument, too.

24. mchad macrumors member

Last years base model was a 2nd gen...not a 3rd gen that is why it was cheaper...now you can get a third gen for cheaper so i don't see what your point is

25. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Well I'm gonna get the current Touch. That said, if I had to make a list of everything that would be cool to have, I'm not sure when such a Touch would be available... maybe in 2-3 years.

Here's what would be nice:

1)500GB

2)GPS chip

3)slightly better camera (at least 2MP)

4)vibration

5)1GB RAM

And that's it. It would be perfect. Really, I'm not asking for that much, am I? At least points 2 and 4 seem easy. Maybe slightly harder with the camera, but the capacity 500GB and 1GB RAM is only a matter of time.

Right now, my biggest beef is lack of a GPS chip. Also, how do you know you got a FT call, if there is no vibration?

Regardless, I'm pretty happy with this generation. I'm buying it next month.