I'm going to keep calling until they tell me its fixed.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JMartin23, Jan 18, 2010.

1. JMartin23 macrumors member

oh, hello.

I've posted before about the flickering my i7 has given me. I still have it, and the flickering is very minimal. I am going to get it replaced; however, I'm going to wait until apple ensures me that the issue is fixed.

They do acknowledge the issue and I've called twice since december to check up on the status. Still nothing.

I'll update this thread each time I call. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Anyone else holding on to their machine even though it has some problems until all of them are resolved?

2. Bitwise macrumors member

If you bought it in December then I doubt they will replace it. Since you're out of the 14-day return/ exchange period they'll probably just fix it.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I wouldn't just call them because it's not going to fix your problem. There can never be defect free consumer level products, so waiting doesn't prove you a perfect iMac. And if you bought yours in December, it's out of the 14-day return time so they'll just repair it.

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Might as well get it repaired now, there are plenty of people who aren't having issues. They're never going to turn around and say 'Yes, that's definitely fixed now', and if they do, they'll be lying.

5. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

I have spoken with two very senior customer service managers who have individually confirmed that Apple engineers are actively investigating the yellow issue. I have also read at least a couple of people have had screens, and screen cable replaced and still have experienced the yellow issue. It would seem seeking a replacement, or repair, at this stage is a bit of a lottery.

6. pcypert macrumors 6502

I did this with my cable internet recently. The only way they finally got it solved. I would just do my other work and put the phone on speaker and talk to people as they became available... was a pain in my butt, but I made sure it was one in theirs too till it got fixed. Some how managed to get someone in on a Sunday and resolve my problem as well :D

If you can be annoying in a productive way they'll know they need to fix it or else you'll be tying them up a lot LOL Maybe not, but you get a passive rush from it.

7. masteroflondon macrumors regular

I really can't understand how they could be 'investigating' anything. This is a science, not some dark magic that allows us to make computers that work on a wing and a prayer while the wind blows in the right direction.

I cannot imagine how an engineer, never mind a team of engineers who can design these things, would not be able to look for just one afternoon at just one machine with a consistent problem and not fully understand the cause and solution to the problem. People are suggesting that hundreds of macs have failed over a period of several weeks, exhibit the problem constantly, and yet the very experienced designers at (and with the resources of) Apple cannot figure out what's wrong?:eek:

8. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Well I guess they may have worked out why, now it's a case of a possible minor internal redesign (processes may need re-tooling), testing this solution and then and deploying this onto the production line. Also they'll have to design a backward engineering solution for fixing existing iMacs and then roll out this solution Worldwide to all repair centres. Also guess they'll have to do a cost analysis for all this. The issue may seem simple to us but in a large corporation like Apple these things can take time. Also it's all dependent when they started the whole process (the data on the reason for returns probably took a while to filter through - anecdotal evidence on a forum would not be enough to start the whole process) and then what priority they then gave it - I guess the flicker would have taken precedent on the "To Be Fixed" List.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's not easy to detect what's wrong. Apple doesn't manufacture their products and e.g. screens are manufactured by LG, so investigating requires LG to investigate the problem as well.

10. TennisandMusic

I totally disagree. It is extremely easy to figure out what is wrong if you design something and there is a major and obvious problem.

I am sure Apple knows fully well what is causing the yellowing. 100% sure. The issue is the difficulty level of the fix, and if Apple cares enough to do it.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If it's so easy as you say, why is there a problem then? Shouldn't the designers know how to make yellow-free screens? And I doubt Apple designs their displays as they are made by LG. Maybe Apple wanted too cheap displays so the quality is what it is now. Technology is amazing but these are its dark sides...

12. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Can we just say that Apple got a huge shipment of a couple of bad batches and leave it at that? :p

Just get your Mac Fixed now, they will NOT replace it, so getting it done now or later doesn't make a difference.

13. Rezox macrumors newbie

They're replacing mine and told me Apple is capturing these because many people have complained about the issue. This is before it becomes a major recall.

I hope it turns into a recall personally because i find it appalling that so many people have the problem and Apple does not want to talk.

14. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

Exact science is not an exact science.

Think about it.

15. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Science needs as much "investigation" as dark magic, criminal scene, or mystery deems it necessary. Just because someone created something doesn't warrant them the utterly complete understanding of that of which they created. Unexpected results can occur, and there are accidents all the time in science. Surely, without "experiments", there would be no science at all.

I agree. Having their screens designed externally also adds variables to the issue.

16. WilliamG macrumors 604

You guys seriously crack me up. There WILL BE NO FIX for the issue! Before I get flamed, I'm not denying there IS an "issue" with iMac screens, but it's NOT anything new. If this were a new, OMG problem, believe you me it'd get addressed. But it's not, so it won't!

I'm sure for a lot of you this is your first IPS panel/large display. For a display this size, it's very common for there to be a cast of some sort. I don't even notice it anymore.

Mark my words, in a year from now, people will still be complaining about the yellow screens. And you can bet your rear end that the complainants are in the minority, and most people just don't care/notice it.

Again, that's not say you don't have a valid complaint, but if it bothers you that much, return the system outright and get something completely different. It won't get fixed.

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

When you pay $2k for a computer you want it to be perfect. 24" used IPS panels and they had no yellowing. I got your point and I agree that e.g. if you have dead/stuck pixel(s) you shouldn't complain so much as you forget them in less than a week.

18. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Hmmmm, so everyone should accept that whites will actually be displayed as yellow:confused::confused::confused:

19. WilliamG macrumors 604

That's exactly what I'm NOT saying. I'm saying return the iMac and get your money back. If I weren't happy with mine, that's what I would do. If you don't want to do that, then yes you'll need to accept that toward the bottom of the screen the whites take on a slight yellow tinge. (how slight depends on the panel variance)

By the way, people who say the yellow is getting worse I simply don't believe. This panel variance happens in the factory, and doesn't at all get worse over time.

20. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Just look at the 3gS screens they were yellow too, people were taking them back, but I don't think they fixed the issue. They might not fix the issue with the iMac because they update the so often it might not be worth their time, if an update comes out around the corner. The only way I think they will really address the issue, is if a major newspaper or network does a write up about apples new iMacs, especially right around apples new event.

Most apple products are premium, we pay premium prices, they need to keep the quality premium too.

21. WilliamG macrumors 604

That's a great analogy. I still see very warm (yellow) 3GS phones around. Mine has a yellow tinge toward the bottom of the screen (home button), and my wife's whole phone is much more yellow than mine.

22. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

If they have already looked into the yellowing issue of the 3gS, then they already should know what's wrong with the iMac without having to investigate. Especially after knowing yellowing was an issue with their screens beforE the iMac.

23. WilliamG macrumors 604

No argument from me there.

24. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's not sure that the cause of the yellowing is the same in iPhone and iMac. I'm not sure is the manufacturer even the same. iPhone's screen is nowhere near iMac's screen. It's not Apple's job to investigate the problem, they just tell the manufacturer to investigate it.

25. Btom macrumors 6502a

Majority of TV sets use IPS LCD panels. Just walk in to any TV store and look at the screens - twice the size of the iMac's - and no tinge!
    The LCD technology is mature and stable. I want the same quality LCD panel on my (future) iMac.

Tom B.