Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Majority of TV sets use IPS LCD panels. Just walk in to any TV store and look at the screens - twice the size of the iMac's - and no tinge!
The LCD technology is mature and stable. I want the same quality LCD panel on my (future) iMac.

Tom B.

Before people start repeating what you said, I'd like to point out that your statement about "majority of TV sets use IPS LCD panels" is 200000% false. In fact, there are VERY few IPS TVs out there (I can't name any off the top of my head). There are lots of PVA/MVA panels out there.

JMartin23

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
a lot of people are saying that it wont be replaced. but back in december i had the case number established which means that the 14 day period doesn't apply to my situation anymore.

because i have the i7, it'd be silly for me to go nearly a month without a computer and still possibly get a flickering machine.

i can bet that future batches will have this issue resolved and thus i'll have a proper machine then.

luckily the issue isn't affected my experience. if the issue was a yellow screen then i would have replaced it earlier.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
a lot of people are saying that it wont be replaced. but back in december i had the case number established which means that the 14 day period doesn't apply to my situation anymore.

because i have the i7, it'd be silly for me to go nearly a month without a computer and still possibly get a flickering machine.

i can bet that future batches will have this issue resolved and thus i'll have a proper machine then.

luckily the issue isn't affected my experience. if the issue was a yellow screen then i would have replaced it earlier.

Week 53 i5 perfect screen, zero yellow, no flicker. I purchased from an Apple store and took back two machines to them, got a refund, went down the road to a reseller, they opened up the box, checked it out, no issues and I've been using it for a week now and love it.

Plenty of non tinted/non flickering screens, Apple just has to sort thru the them. I have no doubt you will eventually get a great machine with no issues. Fixed or replaced, Apple will take care of it.

JMartin23

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Week 53 i5 perfect screen, zero yellow, no flicker. I purchased from an Apple store and took back two machines to them, got a refund, went down the road to a reseller, they opened up the box, checked it out, no issues and I've been using it for a week now and love it.

Plenty of non tinted/non flickering screens, Apple just has to sort thru the them. I have no doubt you will eventually get a great machine with no issues. Fixed or replaced, Apple will take care of it.

cool... but my flickering didn't happen until after a week, so i hope that yours is perfect. but its nice that you got the i5 because its easily replaceable. the i7, not so much.

chockymonster

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008

My 9 day old i5 was perfect until yesterday, no flicker, no tinge.
Small flickers started yesterday only on the internal monitor, external display is fine.

Weirdest issue was this:
icjg.jpg

Logged a call with applecare and given the 3 week schpiel.

JMartin23

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
i'm calling in tomorrow to request the replacement be shipped and will test both before sending the old one back.

JMartin23

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
replacement has been ordered. i'll have 30 days to return the old one after the new one is shipped. wish me luck that this one is bettuh.

ankurgupta

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2010
New Delhi, India
replacement has been ordered. i'll have 30 days to return the old one after the new one is shipped. wish me luck that this one is bettuh.

Did Apple charge you anything for it? Like take your CC details as a safeguard?

Or they willingly allowed for advance replacement without any questions or conditions other than giving you 30 days to send back old one?

JMartin23

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Did Apple charge you anything for it? Like take your CC details as a safeguard?

Or they willingly allowed for advance replacement without any questions or conditions other than giving you 30 days to send back old one?

they didn't charge me for a new one (as they had previously wanted to do) they ARE holding CC info as a safeguard though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.