I'm going to name here "Beatrice"

theydonotmove

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
New York, NY
I'm getting either a 13' or 15' Macbook Pro, and I'm planing to name her Beatrice.

I've been reading Dante's Divine Comedy, and i think a beautiful computer should get a beautiful name.

Beatrice is the great love of the Pilgrim in the epic poem.

Anyone else name their Macs? Or am i just weird?

Other names for random objects include my guitar named Othello (he's made of mahogany which is a dark wood) and i had a Dell named Icarus once... Cause it crashed so many times... Get it?

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I'm getting either a 13' or 15' Macbook Pro, and I'm planing to name her Beatrice.

I've been reading Dante's Divine Comedy, and i think a beautiful computer should get a beautiful name.

Other names for random objects include my guitar named Othello (he's made of mahogany which is a dark wood) and i had a Dell named Icarus once... Cause it crashed so many times... Get it?
The name for your Dell laptop is actually totally hilarious! :)

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Shambo is gunna be here the second he sees this, and fill this thread with fail, with his "Bad Boy Pro" BS. I can't wait for that. Anyway, I am not sure about naming the laptop, I personally dont understand the practice, but Beatrice doesn't sound right to me. It doesn't seem pretty enough in my view, if you are going with the whole beauty thing.

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
Though some of you may feel otherwise, a computer is an appliance for doing things... whether it be work or play.

Anthropomorphisizing these machines is not warranted. I love my MacBook Air because of what I can do with it, not because of what it is or how it makes me feel (ok, maybe a little, but I still don't think it's right to name it!).

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
It does indeed make a lot of sense to take great pride in your belongings (this helps you appreciate and look after them), and certainly the practicalities of naming your hardware is logical especially if it is distributed throughout a wireless home network. See attached.

Attachments

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Doesn't seem very future-proofed to me.

theydonotmove

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
New York, NY
Doesn't seem very future-proofed to me.
there really isn't any such thing as future-proofing. Things always get better. I think the only way to make a piece of technology last is taking good care of it.

Is this shambo a robot? i feel like there's a joke i'm just not getting.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
there really isn't any such thing as future-proofing. Things always get better. I think the only way to make a piece of technology last is taking good care of it.

Is this shambo a robot? i feel like there's a joke i'm just not getting.
There's definitely a joke..... consider yourself fortunate that you don't get it.

helenaliu

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2010
No offense but Beatrice is probably one of the ugliest names I've ever heard.
I think anything with literary roots gets a free pass.

I've never had the habit of naming my gadgets but I've had a lot of people ask me what I intend to name my future 13" MBP when they find out I'm "expecting".

Unfortunately, I'm not inspired, creative or even well-read as you.