Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
That is why they limit the "accidental" part of the coverage. But does not explain why they would kill the extended warranty on manufacturing defect (aka AppleCare Classic) part when you reached the 2 incident limit.

Could you provide a link to the T&C or whatever is suggesting this, as I'm not sure what you mean by killing extended warranty on manufacturing defects.

It's normal for companies to allow for two repairs before a replacement device is issued, and that's what I'm thinking whatever this is, is referring to. As under UK warranty law at least a provider is given opportunity to correct and defects, and if the issue still presents itself a third time you are within your rights to request a replacement device of similar or equal value.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Could you provide a link to the T&C or whatever is suggesting this, as I'm not sure what you mean by killing extended warranty on manufacturing defects.

It's normal for companies to allow for two repairs before a replacement device is issued, and that's what I'm thinking whatever this is, is referring to. As under UK warranty law at least a provider is given opportunity to correct and defects, and if the issue still presents itself a third time you are within your rights to request a replacement device of similar or equal value.

If you go up the thread you will find tvith's comment on a conversation with an Apple rep that stated the entire AppleCare+ was dead after 2 incidents. I am assuming this was a US rep since as far as I know AppleCare+ for a Mac is currently US only.

Last edited:

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
If you go up the thread you will find tvith's comment on a conversation with an Apple rep that stated the entire AppleCare+ was dead after 2 incidents. I am assuming this was a US rep since as far as I know AppleCare+ for a Mac is currently US only.

These ones?

Also, the sales rep said the accidental coverage only covers 2 incidents, for the whole 3yrs after which point AppleCare+ is void. I asked him if it's 2 incidents per yr and he said no for the whole term of the Applecare+ and that's when he mentioned the void part.

I asked the sales rep this as well and he repeated the whole warranty will be void. I'm hoping he's wrong. If someone here can provide some clarity on this, it'll be great.

So the first one is mentioning AC+ being void after 2 incidents. Which we know is true of most accidental insurance coverage.

I think the second one is what you're referring to about the whole warranty being void? They're not mentioning defects however, so I think there's just been some confusion in communication. It's likely that after 2 incidents AC+ is cancelled and it goes to standard AC, or that AC+ replaces AC and when it is voided it cancels the entire thing.

I would suggest this is wrong however. I am not familiar with US consumer rights so can only speak from a UK/EU perspective and hope you can clarify any differences.

In the UK, a standard warranty ensures that anything sold should be fit for purpose for a period of 5 years (7 years EU I believe) under normal conditions. This covers essentially catastrophic manufacturing defects, for instance if you brought a car and 3 years later, without any external force, the engine suddenly dropped out. It is on the onus of the owner to prove it is due to a manufacturing defect after 6 months however, before this period it is accepted as a manufacturing defect (This is why you get large class actions effectively forcing a company to admit fault, as it's extremely difficult as an individual without paying for independent analysis). The warranty accepts that anything sold will work as sold for a period of 1 year, in the same condition as sold. So basically this means if your keys on your laptop fade after 11 months it'll be replaced under law, if however it has been 4 years unless you can prove this is due to a defect, as it does not critically interfere with the device it is not covered. This is to ensure quality of goods sold and protect consumers, as well as protect business from paying out millions for small repairs.

So, there is a difference between the standard 1 year warranty and your statutory rights 5 year one. AppleCare effectively extends your standard warranty to extend and cover things such as consumables for longer (Which normally have a 6 month warranty), which aren't covered by 5 year warranty.

Therefore crucially, here at least, suggesting that a warranty is void for manufacturing defects is wrong. And so I would say this representative was confused or misunderstood. I don't know if the US hold manufacturers accountable for defects in the same way though, and if you only get a single year of warranty.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
These ones?

So the first one is mentioning AC+ being void after 2 incidents. Which we know is true of most accidental insurance coverage.

I think the second one is what you're referring to about the whole warranty being void? They're not mentioning defects however, so I think there's just been some confusion in communication. It's likely that after 2 incidents AC+ is cancelled and it goes to standard AC, or that AC+ replaces AC and when it is voided it cancels the entire thing.

I would suggest this is wrong however. I am not familiar with US consumer rights so can only speak from a UK/EU perspective and hope you can clarify any differences.

In the UK, a standard warranty ensures that anything sold should be fit for purpose for a period of 5 years (7 years EU I believe) under normal conditions. This covers essentially catastrophic manufacturing defects, for instance if you brought a car and 3 years later, without any external force, the engine suddenly dropped out. It is on the onus of the owner to prove it is due to a manufacturing defect after 6 months however, before this period it is accepted as a manufacturing defect (This is why you get large class actions effectively forcing a company to admit fault, as it's extremely difficult as an individual without paying for independent analysis). The warranty accepts that anything sold will work as sold for a period of 1 year, in the same condition as sold. So basically this means if your keys on your laptop fade after 11 months it'll be replaced under law, if however it has been 4 years unless you can prove this is due to a defect, as it does not critically interfere with the device it is not covered. This is to ensure quality of goods sold and protect consumers, as well as protect business from paying out millions for small repairs.

So, there is a difference between the standard 1 year warranty and your statutory rights 5 year one. AppleCare effectively extends your standard warranty to extend and cover things such as consumables for longer (Which normally have a 6 month warranty), which aren't covered by 5 year warranty.

Therefore crucially, here at least, suggesting that a warranty is void for manufacturing defects is wrong. And so I would say this representative was confused or misunderstood. I don't know if the US hold manufacturers accountable for defects in the same way though, and if you only get a single year of warranty.

That is the correct portion of the thread.

US law is dramatically different. Warranties are for the time the manufacturer states. Usually 1 year or less, even on major purchases (ex. refrigerators). You have to buy extended warranties or service contracts for anything beyond that.

Last edited:

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
US law is dramatically different. Warranties are for the time the manufacturer states. Usually 1 year or less, even on major purchases (ex. refrigerators). You have to buy extended warranties or service contracts for anything beyond that.

So do you think it's plausible to remove a warranty covering defects based on your understanding? Again you're better to answer, but I would wonder what would happen in the case of a class action being brought against Apple forcing them to repair defects. Would they be covered from repairing certain devices they have deemed out of warranty? As that seems shocking to me but I'm not used to your system.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
So do you think it's plausible to remove a warranty covering defects based on your understanding? Again you're better to answer, but I would wonder what would happen in the case of a class action being brought against Apple forcing them to repair defects. Would they be covered from repairing certain devices they have deemed out of warranty? As that seems shocking to me but I'm not used to your system.

Removal of the extended warranty covering the defects is at the heart of the question. To me that seems illegal since we can assume that any accidental damage was fixed by Apple to Apple standards. So to me, as far as the extended warranty is concerned, there should be no difference of coverage of a system that was never needed an accidental damage repair.

Hopefully this is all because an Apple rep was confused, and the 3 year extended warranty continues after you use the accidental breakage. Hopefully.

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
AppleCare+ is also available in Japan. I purchased it with my currently in transit 2017 27" BTO iMac.

As far as the AC+ is concerned, I was under the assumption that the 2 accidents were the limit and you wouldn't be able to get a third, but your standard warranty (the 3 years) would still be in effect as long as it was a normal failure (like the standard AC) and not accidental damage. Isn't that how it works with iOS AC+? I've only ever had one incident on my iOS device AC+. (iPad/iPhone)

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Removal of the extended warranty covering the defects is at the heart of the question. To me that seems illegal since we can assume that any accidental damage was fixed by Apple to Apple standards. So to me, as far as the extended warranty is concerned, there should be no difference of coverage of a system that was never needed an accidental damage repair.

Hopefully this is all because an Apple rep was confused, and the 3 year extended warranty continues after you use the accidental breakage. Hopefully.

That's what I was thinking but I'm not familiar with US law in that regard. It's far more likely to be a misunderstanding.

tvith

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012

This was exactly my thinking. I mean, it makes sense for Apple, any company for that matter, to limit the number of user damage repairs before saying no. But that shouldn't affect defect's..unless Apple is assuming if there's more than 2+ incident then you can't really tell whether the new issue is caused by the user's damage or an actual defect?

I'm also hoping the rep was confused and meant to say the accidental coverage terms, but the defect warranty (I guess what's covered under the old AppleCare) portion of it still remains for the 3yrs.

Reactions: jerryk

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
Guys, no need to freak out, its pretty cut and dry in the terms.

Accidental Coverage will be exhausted when you use it twice. The rest of the agreement is still in full effect.
https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplusmacus.html
Apple Lawyers said:
3.2 Accidental Damage from Handling

If during the Plan Term you submit a valid claim notifying Apple that the Covered Device has failed due to accidental damage from handling (“ADH”), Apple will, at its discretion and subject to the service fee described below, either

(i) repair the defect using new or refurbished parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or

(ii) exchange the Covered Device with a replacement product that is new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability (both individually known as a “Service Event”).

ADH coverage only applies to an operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling that is the result of an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g. drops and damage caused by liquid contact from spills) that arises from your normal daily usage of the Covered Device as intended for such Covered Device.

ADH coverage does not include

(a) protection against normal wear and tear, excessive or catastrophic damage, theft, misplacement, or damage caused by reckless, abusive, willful or intentional conduct associated with handling and use of the Covered Device,

(b) protection against any other act or result not covered by the Plan, as described in Section 4.2 below, or

(c) any damage to the Covered Device that arises from one or more conditions described in Section 3.2 (a) or (b).

Apple may ask you to provide an explanation of where and when the accident occurred with a detailed description of the actual event. Apple will deny your claim if you fail to pay the service fee or fail to provide information relating to the accident when asked.

• Under AppleCare+ for Mac, you will pay a $99 (U.S.) dollar service fee plus applicable tax for a screen-only ADH claim or an external enclosure-only ADH claim (“Tier 1 ADH Claim”) or a $299 (U.S.) dollar service fee plus applicable tax for all other ADH claims (“Tier 2 ADH Claim”).
To qualify for the Tier 1 ADH Claim fee, the Covered Device must have no additional damage beyond the screen-only damage (if applicable) or the external enclosure-only damage that would prevent Apple from repairing the display or external enclosure. Covered Device with additional damage will be charged the price of the Tier 2 ADH Claim fee.

ADH coverage will expire and all of Apple’s obligations to you under this section 3.2 will be fulfilled in their entirety before the end of the Plan Term when Apple, as a result of ADH claims, has provided to you two (2) Service Events.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.