I'm impressed with the MBP's built-in mic

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mantic, Apr 9, 2007.

1. mantic macrumors 6502a

I'm use to the tin can effect of everything else i've owned. I took my computer to my friends bar (I can mootch off the near by coffee shops wifi here) the other night. A friend stopped bartended to play guitar for a few mins. Figured i'd test out the built in mic. I expected it to sound crappy but it came out quite nice.

Here's what I recorded.

http://media.putfile.com/Live-at-the-Met

2. phil83 macrumors regular

Impressive sound

It sounds almost studio quality. The bartender sounds pretty good. What program did you use to record?

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Next time you are doing an audio chat and they've got a lot of noise going on (blenders for example) - try "Use ambient noise reduction". It's very impressive. (wouldn't be good for music, however)

4. mantic thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually used iMovie, ripped the audio from the video, then converted it to .mp3 in iTunes :)

But I just downloaded an app that will save me the trouble of all that again lol..

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you use something like Audacity or Sound Studio, there are probably also appropriate noise filters that do work with music, compressors, etc, that can quickly get you to a nice output.

6. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

That sounded pretty damn good. Good Guitar player too!

I listened to the whole thing.

I didn't that a laptop could record good sound like that.

7. mantic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I didn't either. Not with the internal mic anyway.. That's why I was so supprised.

I def want to get a good app for recording. I play guitar myself and it would be fun to mess around with.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Garageband really isn't all that bad at all. You can also try Audacity (a very basic but functional multi-track that's a little more spartan than Garageband) and Ardour (a free hardcore digital audio workstation).

9. mantic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahh.. Yeah.. well.. I don't know anything about garage band and this was spur of the moment... Maybe i'll just learn it since it's already on my computer.