I'm keeping my 1st Gen iPhone! Thank you very much!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphonewiz, Jul 1, 2008.

1. iphonewiz macrumors regular

WOW after looking at the cost of the new 3G iPhone plans, my 1st gen iPhone with the new 2.0 upgrade and my unlimited data and TXT plan is looking better by the minute!

Anybody else feel the same?

2. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

I believe I am too. At least, for another year.

3. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

Don't be surprised if they jack up your prices too

4. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

yeah, but every time i hear about the improved speakers and the GPS i want it more and more. i need to convince my parents (who pay for mine now) to allow me to pay for the extra ten a month and buy the phone. i would do that in a heart beat. it would cost me 439 for over the two years

5. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

how can they, its a contract

6. ophidean macrumors member

Yep I agree, and why would they charge existing iphone users $18 to upgrade?? This makes no sense unless I got the wrong information.

7. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Yes, but remember, we have a 2 year contract that is still good for another year, or more.

8. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Add me to your list. I'm sticking with my old iPhone.

9. agirton macrumors regular

I do understand people who stick with gen 1 iphone if they do not need the additional features. As for me it is worth the 10 buck a month for gps, 3g and 8 more gb of space.(I still have my original 8 gb from launch last year)

10. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

Yeah, I'm sticking to my first-gen too. I can't justify the exhorbitant cost of the plan.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm keeping mine as well. I only got it in January, and while 3G and GPS would be nice, they aren't compelling enough for me to upgrade so soon.

12. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

i am not upgrading, i am going to wait until the next one comes out, iphone 3rd gen:cool:

13. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

I have mixed thoughts about this.

My 1st gen iPhone fell into water and it has been acting dumb. So I sent it to Apple because I think they water sensor didn't change. I told them it just started acting weird, but if they say that it was my fault and they wanna charge me for repair then I will be getting the 3G iPhone.

I don't know what do to. The iPhone 3G is tempting. And then colors? I like both. :(

14. iphonewiz thread starter macrumors regular

You do know that TXT in no longer included in the new plan. So you have to add another $5 - $20 per month on top of the voice/data increase.

15. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I called AT&T and the useless salesgirl thought I could just keep my plan and up the data $10 but she didn't seem to really know and instill much confidence. It looks like my plan could go up $40 including the $10 data hike and not include any text messages. But it actually makes no sense, which is what they were probably going for. I was on the fence about upgrading as the new features aren't that inspiring. I will probably pass.

16. Naplander macrumors newbie

Another one here happy with my 1st gen. The hardware isn't really that different, but I am annoyed that the flush headphone jack wasn't there from the beginning.

Looking forward to the phone getting lighter, 3G one is listed as 3 grams lighter which isn't much at all.

I think Apple are, as usual, holding back certain features to ensure they have an appealing product roadmap.

My 2 cents

17. bavarian3 macrumors member

What's even better is they are allowing FAN discounts on the original plan. I bought mine June 12th.....and was on the fence about the 3G but; GPS does not mean much to me, 3g is nice and all but when there is no 3G service it goes to 2.5G; and 2.0 is just software.

18. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Actually, I'm going to upgrade my iPhone. I had not planned on getting the 3G (at least not anytime soon), but I really am excited about the GPS capability plus I want the additional memory (my iPhone is one of the olf 4GB model).

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm in no hurry. Those plans border on ridiculous for normal people who aren't made of money. $20/month for the data was stretching it. $30 without texts is kind of insulting. Had they included texts, maybe. But it just feels a little bit like all the companies taking 2.3 ounces of cereal out of the box while charging the same and not really making an effort to point it out.

Some people will rail on about how that's how much everybody else is charged for smartphones. Well, most of us weren't crazy enough to buy other smartphones as those rates, were we? I'm sticking with mine until AT&T learns what the word "competitive rate" is again. They should really look at what other companies are doing with the same exact phone.

20. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I have been torn I don't need the new one at all. But wanting the newer thing always gets the best of me. I have already listed my phone on ebay this morning only to take it down. However if the data was not going up and still included text I would be upgrading in a heart beat.

But I really am happy with my phone I got it from my neighbor only a few months ago for 150 bucks so it was a great deal. I am sure I will end up with the new phone at some point. Just going to hold off for now.

Plus I still get something new with 2.0 coming out!

21. slicecom macrumors 68020

Us Canadians would kill for a plan like AT&T is offering... :(

22. davidlw macrumors 6502a

I need the faster connection and Mobile Me for work. Plus the GPS for work will be nice. I am getting the G3 and will just eat Peanut Butter for a while.

23. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I will upgrade to a 3G iPhone, but not until they release a 32GB model. In the meantime, I'll just hang on to my current one and save the $15 each month on data and text message charges.

24. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

The biggest issue I can see with iPhone 3G is customers are gonna realize that 3G may not be available in every part of their city and where there is not 3G then there is Edge. It will be interested to see how 3G is on the battery life.