I'm leaving for 2 years without my MacBook Pro. Sell it or store it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cheeseblock, May 24, 2010.

1. cheeseblock macrumors member

I am going to be out of the country for two years and can't bring my computer with me, and won't be back at all during that time. I will be going back to college after, where I need a laptop.

I'm trying to decide whether I'll keep it (in storage or with a relative) or to sell it through my local classifieds or ebay or something.

Will my computer be seriously outdated in two years? Should I keep it and maybe upgrade it when I'm back? Or should I sell it and buy the new model in two years?

It is a late 2009 13" MacBook Pro with 2.26ghz, 4gb ddr3 ram, 250gb hdd, latest software, perfect condition.

Please let me know your opinion, or if you have any thoughts, or even experience selling a used Mac. Thanks

2. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Would you be better off with the money you will make from the laptop for use while you are away? What is it your going away for?

3. Cool Runnings macrumors regular

You own a late 2009 MBP? It's sound like bad planning to me. A two year trip shouldn't be news?

4. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

You're not going to make even a cursory attempt at providing a useful response, no? Poor show. Given I've previously had to move for an extended period with 5 days notice, I'd suggest you not denounce his lack of planning.

OP - I'd sell. You make a decent amount back on your computer now, and can buy the latest model when you get home. Seems like a win, imo.

5. hajime macrumors 68030

6. BlackViper macrumors member

Sell

I would sell it. Cash will not lose value as fast as the computer. You could even invest what you get in a 2 year term deposit and use that to buy a newer model when you return.

7. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I would lean toward selling it. You'll only take a small hit in price depreciation. In two years, when you need a laptop you can put that money toward a new laptop. Your 2009 machine will not be obsolete in 2 years, but you'll be able to get better computer value for your money in 2012 than you can now. That has been the trend for many years and I don't see that changing.

8. PsychOfMSE macrumors member

9. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Cheeseblock, just curious, are you doing missionary work or peace corps?

10. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Sell it - and put the money in bonds or a high-yield CD. That will keep the money itself from devaluing.

11. Red Comet macrumors member

Yeah I'd sell.

The resell value is still high so you'd make up almost for what you originally paid for.

12. WiseMarley macrumors member

Leave it with the girl that you are hoping will wait for you. I have to guess this is a Mormon mission with your location being Utah.

Sell it or let someone in your family use it.

13. ihaveNFC Guest

I agree. Seeing how slow Apple has been, you might see a worthy MBP or MBA by that point.

14. slyreptile macrumors newbie

I'm guessing this is a mission you are going on. I've been in the same situation, but my comp wasn't as new as yours. As everyone else said, sell it. Get the money for it now while it still has value and then buy a new one when you get home. It's not the easiest thing to do as a broke returned missionary, but it can be done--especially, if you're able to save the money from selling it.

15. palane macrumors member

Sellarooni

Hmm, if it weren't such a late model computer, it'll be a clear sell. It'll lose at least a third of its value over two years, though still have a few years of life in it when you get back.

Here's a though. Sell and put the money into a 2 year CD. Untouchable and reserved for the purchase of a computer when you get back from Shangrila. At that time, you could buy a new computer or even purchase the depreciated equivalent of your current computer. You'll wind up with a better computer in two years or have saved a few hundred bucks.

BB

16. DontMacTheGyver macrumors regular

DontMacTheGyver

Wht the heck... where are you going to? Two years without your MacBook? Must be some kind of Himalaya meditation or something... :)

Sell it!

17. seb-opp macrumors 6502

sell it, but make sure you keep the money safe for when you get back. Put it in the bank. Worst thing that could happen is you spend the money from selling it and then not being able to afford a new one in two years.

18. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

Keep it. It'll still be wholly useful when you return. Unless you keep the proceeds from selling it ring fenced, there's the problem of putting funds together to get one when you get back.

19. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Sell it and I agree put it in a cd that ends in two years. Plus if you leave it with a relative what if there's an accident or something. Same thing with storage.

20. nserav01 macrumors newbie

Why wouldn't you sell it. Here is a wild guess, your a Mormon and your going on a mission and then your going back to college? I'm assuming this because I know that's what they do and because your from Utah. Put your money in a CD and get it when you get back.

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sell it. Craigslist.

Even military allows computers. You can also get solar powered charging unit if electricity is scarce where you are going (but I would look into iPad).

22. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Who said it was the military he was going away for?

Perhaps it's prison or a mission, either or. :p

I'd sell it, why bother keeping it so you can return to a 2-year old(er) laptop with less resale value?