I'm leaving the PPC Owners Club... maybe you can benefit? and can I still post here?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by grockk, Dec 6, 2014.

1. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

After 8 years with my 12" PowerBook G4, I love this thing. But it just doesn't get used like it used to. So I'm selling it. You can see my listing in the marketplace here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1826427 or on eBay here http://www.ebay.com/itm/121509065433. If you want to ask any questions or whatever and maybe "keep it in the family" by selling to one of you here. If you want to buy it try to post in the Marketplace listing or message me on eBay. I'm starting this one to talk emotions of leaving PPC.

I loved the PowerPC era and that even the 12" model was so easy to work on compared to the modern Macs or iPads. This was my first mac and I won't forget all the good times. She's never faltered except for a strange 1 pixel line on the screen appearing about 3 years ago. But through all the tear downs and reassemblies she's been there. For example putting in the SSD in where it was never meant to be done. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1633108. Or software hacking the old apps to use LeopardWebkit http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1640068. and the feelings of dread as parts become less available http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1754887

Definitely mixed emotions listing it for sale. Any others on here gone through the transition? Can I still lurk in this sub forum if I don't have PPC anymore?

2. RedCroissant, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014

RedCroissant Suspended

First off, don’t be crazy.

…You can never really leave the PPC family…..

It’s true though because I was really deep into the PPC world with 4 iBooks (3 G3 and a G4), 2 iMac G5s, a PowerMac G4 (that I gave to another member) a PowerMac G5 quad, and a Pismo. And I still look on Craigslist for deals on PPC Macs even though I don’t have the money for them.

I moved to Southern California from Arizona and I got rid of all of my PPC stuff. The 20” iMac G5 went to a friend, the 17” iMac G5 went free to someone on CL, an iBook G4 went to another friend on here, HDDs were distributed, top cases for future clear iBook projects were given away…etc. Yes, all of it. I thought that I would be done with it now that I got my Intel iMac for my design work.

Well…I’m back in the PPC world again and I never really stopped posting in the forums either.

Now I have every version of OS X, I have an iBook G3 (thanks to my brother-in-law)and an iBook G4 (thanks to eyoungren) again, a clone of my iMac G5 system waiting to be cloned to the new HDD on a PMG5 system again (fingers crossed) and I am NEVER getting rid of my PPC software collection. Never. Even if the machines are no longer the best choice for internet browsing or things like that, they will always be good machines for local basic work. My iBook G3 (since it doesn’t connect to my wireless network) will become a hobby while my G4 will most likely be used for Airplay and the like since it is a much better machine.

Anyway, there’s no reason for you to stay away just because you no longer actively own a PPC Mac. It’s also unreasonable to think that you never will again since they are still great machines!

3. redhatcode29 macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

That true...it's like an everyday task for me....to look for Old Macs...though are scarce in my part of the world....but hey...the thrill of finding one and upon finding one...it's feels like yabadabadooooo!!!

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I always lurk these days. I love my PowerPCs, but my iPad Mini gets more useful everyday. Even though it's the first gen, it now can run the mobile version of Pixelmator, iDraw, among other things that I would have used the iMac and Power Mac G5 for.

It's all still nice hardware, I am not up to the task of having to keeping them in order though. I feel like that's the biggest issue at this point. I already have a dead DVD player along with the need for new RAM sticks. That's money that could easily be spent elsewhere.

Thinking about putting OS 9 on the iMac though. The problem is that I was using my iPad AS the keyboard and mouse for it this summer, and that wouldn't work at all since it needs the remote management stuff.

5. RedCroissant Suspended

which RAM sticks do you need? I have a bunch now thanks to eyoungren.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Ones for a 2.0 USB iMac G4. Don't worry about it. I can't deal with it right now.

7. grockk thread starter macrumors 6502

grockk

OK so I'm not crazy. Or at least I'm joined by other crazies here... Thanks guys. I'll probably still browse craigslist and check in here every few days. I follow the TenFourFox blog. I've always wanted an OS 9 machine for old games for the kids so good to know you can always come back!

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I responded to your Marketplace thread...I've been looking for a 12" PB, and there's a decent chance that yours might be just what I'm looking for.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I will be purchasing my first Intel MBP next year with part of our tax refund. It will be the last 17" Aluminum model that Apple made before they switched to that "other" style of casing. I am making a concession to owning an Intel Mac, but I don't have to own one that LOOKS like an Intel Mac!

I'm getting it because I need it for one single purpose that all my other PowerPC Macs are failing at – internet browsing.

But it doesn't mean I am getting rid of my other Macs as they still have a purpose they continue to do.

The iMac G5 (which RedCroissant gave me) does duty as my kids homework, research Mac. My Quicksilver (which I bought from RedCroissant) is my design Mac (Adobe CS4, Suitcase Fusion 2, QuarkXPress 8.5.1, Acrobat 9.4.5 Pro with Enfocus Pitstop Pro 7.5) and multimedia Mac (six displays when I get done with the thing).

And my 1.0Ghz 17" PowerBook G4 will do what it's always done, serve as my traveling everything Mac and my central repository of all my crap.

Speaking of that, the replacement parts machine is now in Phoenix. I'm really hoping USPS processed it this morning and it's in the mailbox today (FedEx dropped it off there this morning). But if not, I'll have it hopefully Monday.

My point is that rather than multiple purposes for one Mac, I have multiple Macs custom fit for their purpose. This will ALWAYS keep me tied to PowerPC, even if none of them are my daily driver. My 17" PowerBook G4 I will ALWAY strive to keep alive. This will be it's third life now.

At least until there are no more parts to be had.

10. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

The way I see it, even if you go Intel or sort of drop usage of a PowerPC Mac, it's still nice to keep them around because they are such special machines.

I went Intel for the first time in 2012, with a 2009 base model MacBook Pro. I used the thing for some time, but I kept the machine I ditched it for and used it as a secondary computer (my iMac G5 iSight). Now, at the time, I just liked using it next to my primary computer; I wasn't knowingly in the PowerPC 'family', nor did I really have too much knowledge on the architecture, even though I had been using PPC Macs since 2004.

However, due to my Mac collection, I would receive old Macs quite a bit, especially post 1998 PowerPC Macs. I began to dislike using a laptop as a main computer (I just don't like the feel), and moved my iMac G5 to my main desk. Since it wasn't THAT old, I still didn't feel nostalgia for it, but now I do. Although I really need to upgrade the RAM (1GB), it has served me well and hasn't had an issue.

Along with collecting, my iMac G5, and the fact that I don't like using a laptop mainly, I started diving deeper into my collecting and having fun using the computers. And although I had already been using random PowerPC Macs as main PCs, for the fun of it, I just recently discovered a this forum community of others like myself. I knew that people collected them and loved them, but was not aware of such a dedicated community on MacRumors.

PowerPC Macs are powerful enough to draw-in even NEW users today who hadn't experienced them when they were still current. I find that even if we are especially starting to see a dip in the lifespan of these machines, they still have their uses and are great machines at that. I myself have wanted to get back to using my MacBook Pro more, but something makes me feel sad about doing anything that would cause me to ditch my PowerPC Macs. And since I like desktops better, I currently use a PowerMac G5 DP 2.0Ghz as my main desktop computer. My mom has a 17" 2007 MacBook Pro, which she may hand down to me... I am not sure what will happen then, as I may then go back to using Intel as my main platform... which makes me feel empty. However, even then, I plan to still use my PowerPC Macs for certain things. I would never travel with a 17" laptop, let alone my nice 13" MBP, so I instead take an iBook or PowerBook with me.

I feel that even if one has gone to Intel, their PowerPC Mac is worth keeping. I mean, I could understand if one needs to make some money and sells their old Mac, but I find that they are STILL not useless and are nice to have around. If you do end up selling it, it's a good thing you are still considering checking out an OS9 machine.

Unless someone does not care about PowerPC AT ALL, these Macs usually cannot escape a person! I went from one PowerPC Mac in 2004, to two in 2010 (and a couple broken iBooks), and now I own 34 PowerPC Macs. And again, I still plan to use these for certain things, even if I go Intel. I'd like to use PowerPC until they are flat-out "obsolete", rather than end the fight by using an Intel machine mainly.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sometimes they're even necessary to keep around.

I have a Mac Pro at work that does not do Appletalk. We have two 11x17" printers that use Appletalk. One is capable of IP printing but I always get gaps in the prints.

If our G4/450 running Leopard was not serving as my print server there'd be no way I could print reliably at all.

----------

LOL! ;)
    Try two! :D

Yeah, I've carried around two at once. Since I have two. :D

12. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

I also recently sold my only PPC Mac, but if I see a good deal of one I will return :rolleyes:
    I just got so good offer for my old one that I couldn't resist selling it. The machine was also mostly left unused and when I got the email offer I didn't even remember I had and ad about it :)

13. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Hahah, that sounds like fun. xD I guess for myself, traveling with one wouldn't be THAT bad, but I DO take my laptop to school sometimes, and I wouldn't want to cram it into my backpack. Many random things can happen at school, so I just would not want to have to carry a 17" laptop around. Traveling with a desktop is even worse. I once saw these professional-looking people who set up two Apple desktops at a table in Starbucks, and a lot of other equipment. My brother also had to take his 24" 2006 Intel iMac to school once. Not your average occurrence...

14. RedCroissant Suspended

Not crazy at all. Or at least not crazier than the rest of us.

You know what I would like to have???? A 1.5GHz Mac Mini G4. You know why???? for games!!!!

I have NES, SNES, ATARI, and DOS emulators on my iMac. AT least with the mini, it would look more like a retro gaming console and I could have a couple of USB universal controllers and it would be awesome to hook that up to my TV and play Galaga, 1942, Robocop, or Super Mario Bros!!! Not to mention Missile Command and Asteroids. Yes.........!

Another reason to ALWAYS have a working PPC Mac around is the ability of Firewire. I LOVE firewire and might even have the firewire symbol tattooed on me somewhere. Yes, really. I have fixed both older and newer Macs with my iBook G4 and even cloned and repaired the QS that eyoungren has now with it. The ability to have an older machine that is essentially universal is amazing and why I will try to always have one.

Eventually I'll have another PowerMac G5 (quad or not) to use as my local server at home and it will be great!

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is quite nice having a premade image which is deployable to any PowerPC Mac via a FireWire or USB drive. What type of iBook G4 do you have now from eyoungren?

16. RedCroissant Suspended

it's a 1.2Ghz G4 12" 1.25GB RAM, 20GB HDD now running Leopard. It's so awesome.

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am guessing the 20 GB hard drive was added afterwards. I think that is the machine that I was able to negotiate with someone on here to let eyoungren to get at a great price!

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes. And now it has a purpose. ;)

19. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I guess your son did not want to give up the TiBook. I am glad you both got some use out of it because I could buy it at the time!

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well…he has a PowerBook.

With a 15.1" screen…

21. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is a bit odd seeing you post without the familiar profile picture... I do like the TiBooks, but the problems everyone speaks of with the hinges and overall look that they were beaten up drives me away from each one I see. iBooks and their GPU failure does not for some reason. I really want a 14" iBook G4 and it is one of those machines I want before I give up PPC completely type of thing...

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm a coffee fanatic (blame my wife) so I've been trying logos.

My son's TiBook is a little beat up, but the hinges will never die. The old Mac that LCD was attached to broke around the hinges. I have NEVER had any issue with them.

23. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Everytime I see one I want to buy, they are usually broken with major parts failing (logic board usually), hinges on their way if not shot already, or major paint missing. Of course the one time I find one in the free section in the Marketplace it is in the United Kingdom. I cannot win...

24. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I had a beaten-up but fully-functional TiBook. (667Mhz G4 & 1GB RAM). I loved the feel of that Mac. Someone I know sent it to me in the mail, which was very thoughtful. Sadly, I had it in my laptop bag at one point, and it woke up and stayed on... and fried itself to death. :( It does not boot and heats up rapidly. Everything else is fine, and I even use its HD for something. The 1GB of RAM it has is nice, and hopefully still works. It would be nice to sell it to someone who could use it, although it could come in handy if I ever get another TiBook. (seems like the chances are slim though).

25. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

My TiBook was a Craigslist purchase made on a whim...I think I paid $40 for it, and the guy didn't seem to know a huge amount about it. He told me that the hard drive was bad, and had just given up on it as he didn't see it as being worth fixing.

It turned out to be a bad hard drive cable, and has been running fine since replacing that.

Mines an 867mhz, which means that it can officially run Leopard.

Mine is a little bit worse for wear, but the hinges are fine and overall it doesn't look too bad.

It also makes me smile when I'm watching an early 2000s movie and see a TiBook sitting on someone's desk or in their lap. It was definitely the computer to have in those days!