I'm looking for the best config for a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FoamCup, May 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. FoamCup macrumors member

Hello, again! I need help deciding the best config for the MacBook Pro. I'm not much of a laptop person because I'm afraid I might wear out the battery because of constant use. This is the reason why I prefer a desktop because it's connected to a power outlet. No need to worry about batteries.

Anyway, I wanted to get the 2013 Mac Pro, but my dad said that I'm better off getting a laptop because I already have 3 desktops. One desktop is a refurbished/used 2009 Mac Pro that I bought online about three months ago. I'm going to replace it with a new 2013 Mac Pro, possibly.

As for my uses for a MacBook, I'm going to be encoding video with either HandBrake and Apple Compressor. As well as editing video with FCPX. While doing everyday tasks such as browsing the internet, listening to music, and watching videos, tv shows, and movies.

I also wonder if the MacBook gets hot or noisy if I were to encode video at the same amount of fan noise like the old 2009 Mac Pro.

2. Simche macrumors member

Simche

I personally haven't edited video, but I was coding a lot and using multiple software with a Virtual Machine (windows) at the side, so I hope this anwsers a little bit of your question.

In your case, maybe a 13-inch Macbook Pro with 256Gb SSD would be sufficient, regardless of processor power. SSD makes wonders on Macbook, so 8GB RAM is enough in my opinion.

3. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Do you really need the smaller screen of a laptop at all? As you say, batteries are always of limited life, and no Macbook will have the horsepower of the 2013 Mac Pro you're contemplating.

4. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

The everyday tasks you outlined can be handled by any current MacBook. Video encoding will literally be twice as fast on a 15.4" compared to any other MacBook. So if your question is what MacBook is best suited for you, it really depends on just how much time you spend encoding videos and if the performance of the quad core outweigh the additional cost. Of course there are other things to consider like weight, size, battery life etc but you didn't mention any of that. If your question is what model has the best performance for everything you outlined, than the 15.4" DG model upgraded to 2.8 GHz I7-4980HQ has the best performance of course.

5. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

Do you encode and edit video enough to justify three desktops and a notebook? Because if it's just hobbyist stuff that's a lot of money to blow for what you're doing.

6. FoamCup thread starter macrumors member

I thought about the 13-inch because of its smaller size overall compared to the 15-inch, which is bigger and probably bulky, too. Apple claims that the battery life is one hour more than the 15-inch model, but I'm not sure how that will hold up to video encoding, though.
    --- Post Merged, May 16, 2016 ---
    No, not really. I have a Windows PC that is my first desktop. Then, there is the Mac Mini and then there's the 2009 Mac Pro. I'm considering throwing away the 2009 Mac Pro because of its bulky and heavy case compared to the 2013 cylinder Mac Pro, which is small and "light" like the Mac Mini.
    Thanks. I think the 13-inch would be almost the perfect balance of size and performance, although I might to look at both the 13-inch and 15-inch in person.
    I probably need portability while away from home. I can always connect the MacBook to a larger display if I need a bigger screen.

7. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

With that additional info, I'd say look at the 15" models. Even the base will outperform the top spec 13" by over double. Shop around for sales on them - $300-$500 off on the 15" models aren't uncommon.

8. Coldmode macrumors regular

I wouldn't consider the 13" for encoding and video editing. If your software is capable of using all 4 cores in a 15" MBP, it will vastly outperform the dual core 13" MBP.

Edit: Though if you're not doing this professionally, you probably don't need the extra speed.

9. FoamCup thread starter macrumors member

I'll keep that in mind. But, I probably won't need all of that power since the Mac Pro desktop will be taking care of the more heavy computing tasks.
    I probably won't need all of that extra speed because the Mac Pro will be there for that needed performance boost.

10. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

So why not just buy the Mac Pro? It sounds like you're buying the MBP to appease your dad when you don't really want or need it.

So rather than throw money away, why not just get what you want and call it good?

11. ThirdParty macrumors newbie

First of all, why don't you just buy the Mac Pro you wanted?
    Second, since a few weeks I'm the owner of the 13" Mac Book Pro retina 16GB RAM version. I've had many laptops before this one (Samsung, Acer, ...) But literally no laptops battery could beat this one, it easily stays powered for like 16 hours just using Safari and listening some music. I try to photoshop sometimes and even while doing that, listening to music, downloading a film or something, it keeps up for at least 10 hours straight, without a problem. The battery is the last thing I'd complain about.

You asked for the sound it made? Well, this Macbook is surprisingly silent, possibly also because of the PCLE-Flashdrive as harddisk. The only moment the MBP is heating up is while it's heavily used and being charged at the same time.

I hope I've helped. Good luck finding your best option!

12. FoamCup thread starter macrumors member

I would like to get the Mac Pro if it weren't so expensive. I don't earn very much and it'll take me a long time to have enough money to buy it.

No, you guys have been very helpful! I'll have to decide which one I want because there are differences between the two and there are pros and cons of each. I'll have to see and decide for myself. Thank you all for the advice!

I'll also have to see what is at this year's WWDC first before I make a final decsion and purchase. I'll let you all know which one I went with. I wish that I was rich to afford both.

13. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

???

How much do you think the "best config" MacBooks you're looking at are?

14. FoamCup thread starter macrumors member

Oops. I should have been more clear that I was referring to the Mac Pro desktop.

15. Barry01 macrumors newbie

I have a laptop 2.8 ghz 15" retina SSD (best one you can get) and when I use after effects and Premiere pro on my desktop (2013), I feel as if I stepped back 10 years waiting and dealing with poor scrubbing

16. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

Yes, I'm aware. I'm also aware that for the cost of a high end MacBook you're into the same price range as a base Mac Pro, especially if you go with a refurb.

You're saying you want a high end MacBook, but can't afford the Mac Pro, which doesn't really make much sense given the pricing.

17. FoamCup, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016

FoamCup thread starter macrumors member

I can afford either the base and middle models of the 13-inch MBP, but by the high end 13-inch MBP model, I'm looking at the base model of the Mac Pro due to the cost and not to mention the costs for a custom config of the high end model.

No, I never said that I wanted a high end MacBook Pro because I think that the 13-inch MBP would suffice because of its smaller size and components compared to the 15-inch model.