Im mad! No backlit keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iFanaddic, Oct 16, 2008.

1. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Am I the only one who hadn't realize the backlit keyboard was only for one of the 2 macbooks (well 3 actually)? I am very mad mad at apple, they didnt make it obvious and this is a feature I was looking forward to! Does any body else feel this way?

(I couldnt watch the keynote from apple.com, so I ordered it.. Then this morning I realized the keynote was on iTunes and thats when I realized my mistake..)

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

If you were on the forums two days ago, you would've seen that every other thread was about the backlit keyboard ;)

3. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Did you just get it in the mail? Contact Apple.

4. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

No I should receive it by next week.. what is that gonna change?

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If you wish to return it, you should contact Apple now.

6. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

Cancel your order and order the other that has a backlight.

7. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Make a fuss and they'll probably cut you a deal.

8. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

as many have stated

backlit is the new black in MacBooks now

9. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

If your emailed receipt says it includes a backlit keyboard (there was a discrepancy on the online store), then I think you can certainly raise a stink and get something out of the deal.

(especially considering you were honestly misinformed by that error)

10. marvel2 macrumors 6502

If you haven't received it yet, cancel the order. Problem solved.

11. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

The I dont get anything out of it.. I was misinformed.. Apple should pay the price.. not me..

EDIT: on the phone with apple..

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Why should Apple pay if you were misinformed? Did they tell you you were getting a backlit keyboard, or did you just assume you were? Here's what Apple's web page says:

It's pretty clear from this that it's just for the 2.4.

13. wcalderini macrumors member

So...you want to be paid because you were misinformed?
    What's the going rate on that these days?
    I think the government owes me some money.

WRC

14. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Seriously? It seems to me that Steve mentioned it in the Keynote and if you didn't watch or hear about that, its also there when you select which keyboard you want, either US English or Western Spanish. The upper model specifies right there that its a backlit keyboard and the lower model makes no mention.

15. aristobrat macrumors G5

Apple will pay the price. They'll pay for the return shipping. You'll pay nothing. It was their error, and that's how they'll make it right without having you pay a price.

16. diabolic macrumors 68000

You shouldn't get anything out of it. Not researching before your purchase is very different than being misinformed.

17. cshale210 macrumors member

Yeah I'm getting sick of the people bitching about this backlit keyboard thing. the 2.0 doesn't have it. They announced that is it didn't, clearly it was a mistake if it said it had the backlit in the shopping cart, but it didn't before you added it to your cart.

Honestly, its poisoning the threads. You wouldn't have paid the extra money just for the backlit keyboard anyway I'm guessing.

I'm sorry I don't mean to sound annoying but this is getting rediculous.

18. vestigo74 macrumors member

For those of you who may be unaware, the Apple store (when it came back up after the Keynote) listed BOTH MacBooks as having a backlit keyboard during the ordering process.

So, yes, if someone had only heard about the new MacBooks... didn't watch or read about the Keynote... simply went to the online store and compared the two models... they were both listed there as having backlit keyboards, so it's pretty easy to see how some people would be upset after ordering the 2.0GHz model, expecting to get a backlit keyboard.

Not every person who buys a laptop has time to watch Keynote speeches or read internet forums. Some people (omg!) just simply go to a manufacturer's website and order a product online, trusting that the online ordering site is accurate.

Strange concept, I know, but true nonetheless.

Edit: I should add that I don't think these people should get a whole lot out of the deal, but I do understand them being upset.

19. aristobrat macrumors G5

Well, for quite a few hours after the keynote, the online store did state that the 2.0GHz model came with the backlighted keyboard.

It was an error and has since been corrected.

However, since the OP isn't "paying a price" for this error, I'm not sure what he's expecting to get out of it.

Glad to see that kind of entitlement attitude is not just a United States thing. :rolleyes:

20. diabolic macrumors 68000

Then he should be able to return it with no problem and get a model with the backlit keyboard. That's the most I'd expect.

21. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I love people like this. Maybe you should file a class action lawsuit against them?

22. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Thanks for understanding vestigo74. This represents exactly what happened to me, I think these people are just mad they bought it the next day and didn't get this opportunity... I called apple, and they were very aware of their mistake, the lady I talked to was very nice and offered me a credit of 150$ I asked her how much an extra battery would be. She said 160$ but still gave me full credit for it. (she didnt make me pay the extra 10 bucks) So for the customer care apple 2 thumbs up!

23. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Wow, fantastic! Yes, Apple's service is great! The same thing happened to me and I got the $150.00 credit towards either model so I went for the 2.0 Ghz and saved big!

24. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Ah, okay, that makes sense. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal! I never use my backlit keyboard anyway, but an extra battery is always appreciated.

25. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

It sounds to me like Apple is handling this very well. Obviously there was a mistake on their website after the keynote, but it was mentioned in the keynote itself and on the actual product page on Apple.com that ONLY the 2.4Ghz model would have the backlit keyboard. I really think there are a lot of people here that knew this, and ordered the lower model anyway hoping they could complain their way into the better model for free (not accusing the OP).