'I'm More Excited About a new Wireless Keyboard' Thread

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hacksaw-C87, Mar 3, 2009.

1. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

I'm feeling a little left out.

I don't use dekstops at the moment and, with all the rumours flying about concerning the new iMac (which, in my most humble opinion looks like merely an incremental upgrade) my thoughts have turned to a new wireless keyboard. I love the current one, but wouldn't it be great for Apple to update it in line with all the other Macs??

I'm thinking sleek black keys, backlit (unlikely!) and slim(mer?)

Has anyone done a mockup? Anyone fancy doing one? ;)

2. unid macrumors regular

trackpad built in?

My guess is a redesign integrating multitouch.

3. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

I've wondered if they would change the desktop keyboards to the black keys now found on all the notebooks, however it got me thinking about the mouse...will they change that too?...Some how I don't believe so which then sends me straight back to the impression that they wouldn't change the keyboard in that case.

[Thinking out loud]
    White and silver keyboard next to a silver and black iMac doesn't look TOO bad. A black and silver keyboard next to a black and silver iMac next to a WHITE mouse may look awful (not sure, only going by the picture in my imagination here). Having a black mouse is a fairly stark move for Apple in my opinion, unless they make it aluminium silver colour, that may work, then the black keys on the keyboard may look spot on then.
    [/Thinking out loud]

I'd like a wireless keyboard that's cheaper to be honest. I don't mind the fact the current one isn't full size, I have the older wireless and my current wired one for that, but the price is out of my range.

4. hacksaw-C87 thread starter macrumors regular

That would be cool but a bit difficult to use- they'd certainly have to increase the size of both the wired and wireless models. Wouldn't it get in the way of typing too?

5. hacksaw-C87 thread starter macrumors regular

I've had similar thoughts. I got a student discount on the keyboard so it reduced the price a fair bit, but like all things apple it is overpriced.(Prime example... magsafe charger, £60!!!!!) Maybe there are some good deals on ebay.

I think a black mouse would look abysmal, but I'm just against them on all formats, not just Macs. An aluminum would be nice though. I think they've got to find some way of working in some multitouch funcitonality into iMacs, Mac pros etc. It's my favourite thing about my Macbook, seems a shame to limit such a great feature just to the notebook range.

6. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

Ha. Looks like they went the other direction with the keyboard. why? I was hoping for a new wireless chicklet keyboard with the number pad.

I use both the big white wireless and a wired chicklet. I can't give up my number pad.

edit: not only that the new numberpad-less keyboard is the standard keyboard with the imacs. you can upgrade at no cost, but how many people will notice? how would that work in the apple store?

7. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Well spotted, missed that at first. I'm not sure on their decision there, looks a little top heavy now with a tiny keyboard. Wonder what made them do that? I guess this topic is progressing over here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=7199942#post7199942

EDIT:

I've just visited the UK Apple Store Online keyboard section to see if it had updated and to see the UK prices when I suddenly realised theres a glitch or error.

There are around 14 entries for each of the Apple keyboards, ie: the 2 wired ones and the wireless one have been repeated around 13 times!!

Check the screenshot out, not sure how long it will remain at the URL.
    http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/mice_keyboards?mco=MjI4Mjg

Attached Files:

8. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Wireless mice and KB's to me are kind of silly, and I have banned their purchase. When someone asks for one or the other or both I usual ask why they'd need to sit more than two feet from their computer. In my installed base it would mean a constant supply of batteries, all the tech support time sucked up, stolen items... it's a rat hole that need not be. Why buy it? Because we can? Sorry, not good enough.

9. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Better desk space. Space is limited and being able to quikly move the keyboard without the need to unplug wires to create space is nice.

10. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Good catch. That's pretty sneaky. I didn't realize there was a wired, no numeric keypad one. And the numeric one is hidden below the spanish, french, etc. keyboards, where you won't see it.

11. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I love the wireless, sometimes i put my feet up on my desk and roll my chair back a little bit and i just pick up my keyboard and put it on my lap. as for batteries i go about 2 months or more without having to change them, i get a pack of the good energizer lithium's in BJ's and i still have plenty left. Plus it saves alot of space on my desk and no extra wires makes it look nice and tidy :cool:

12. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I can understand where you're coming from. We have one of the white bluetooh keyboards at a radio station I work at. When the batteries run out it confuses people. However for personal use I love it. currently I am using a wired chicklet keyboard and bluetooth mighty mouse on my desktop and quite like it. But if I could snip the wire on the keyboard I would.

I use a white bluetooth keyboard and mouse for my MBP on my desk at home. I put the MBP up on a stand (OK, I admit, 4 equal piles of CDs) next to the monitor and I'm ready to go with the wireless keyboard/mouse. I use rechargeable batteries on almost everything, so it's not that big a deal to swap them out.