Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I've had Android phones for years and they've been great, had a Galaxy S2, HTC One and Xperia Z1c with no issues. In fact the Xperia Z1c battery life was so good I only had to charge it once every 5 days, usually I only got 2 days out of my phones before that.

I'm not a power user, I view the net for like 5 mins a day, I text, have a few phone calls and listen to music on it for a couple hours a day. I'm not viewing video content or playing games or generally things which drain a lot of battery life.

So why the hell does the podcast app on the iPhone drain 70% of my battery? Even if I turn off all signal it drains the same amount. Listening to a podcast on my Xperia used about 3% of the battery, listening to one on my iPhone drains 30%.

I thought Apple was known for battery life? People with iPhones always go on to me about how Android is **** and uses lots of resources, yet my iPhone has to be charged before the end of the day or it is dead... the worst battery life I've ever had with a phone.

Why is every update buggy? They always seem to introduce battery problems or wifi/bluetooth issues and I have to wait for another update to fix it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, stop giving me needless updates when they just make the device worse! With Android I'd have like one update per phone, it was always good, worked, no issues. I don't need lots of little updates constantly breaking my phone. Now the latest thing introduced with the last update is the home/lock screen is now using a chunk of battery even though that is when it should be using nothing!

Why can't I turn off data without it throwing up a warning every time I enter an app? It just makes me leave it on because I'm so sick of having to see it, I KNOW I'VE TURNED IT OFF FOR **** SAKE!

Why can't I put icons where I want? Why can't I hide Icons I don't want to see? Lots of little basic things that Android lets you do, IOS is like "NOPE, NO CUSTOMIZATION FOR YOU"... I want to be able to place icons where I want, not have them auto go to the top left.

Why is it that Touch id can pay for stuff on the store, yet it doesn't require my account password to register a new finger? It only requires the 4 digit thing you use to unlock the screen and so if I hand it to someone and don't want them asking me the 4 digit code, they can then go wild buying things once they register their finger.

I just find myself so frustrated with the iPhone and to top it all off, today my charging cable stopped working for no reason. The cable is mint condition, hasn't been abused and yet it has stopped working. I should have seen the signs that it was a pos when everyone else's I see has holes in the rubber as it has started to fall apart around the end.

Oh look I can see my iPhone has lost 5% while sitting in idle while I typed this.. why is it losing so much battery sitting doing nothing?

Worst phone ever

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
You could jailbreak the phone which would allow you to arrange the icons as you want and get rid of those annoying pop-ups, or go back to Android.

Last edited by a moderator:

a.guillermo

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2015
If it's as new as you claim, you can probably sell it for a pretty steep price, and go buy an android phone. I happen to agree with you on this matter, my android phones have always worked better for my personal tastes than iphones do. I enjoy my imac very much, but I've never been a huge iphone nut, for a lot of the reasons you listed above.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Many of your complaints are part of the iPhone operating system and has been for years.

Why use an iPhone knowing you're going to be disappointed?

For example, I know the BigMac has a secret sauce made with mayo and Thousand Island dressing. It's a bit disingenuous to then complain about the BigMac 'cause I don't like the sauce.

Of course you can jailbreak your iPhone (i.e.: order the BigMac with catchup instead of their secret sauce) and many of your grievances will fade away.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sounds like the iPhone isn't for you, and its best to return it (if you can), or sell it, and get one that's more suited to your needs.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
OP. Thanks for letting me know!

I am now not just selling all my Apple stock, but also using the proceeds to go short big time. Hello $60/share and huge profits for me.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
OP. Thanks for letting me know!

I am now not just selling all my Apple stock, but also using the proceeds to go short big time. Hello $60/share and huge profits for me.

So the performance of the products doesn't matter, just the stock price? Ordinarily these two things would go hand in hand but things aren't alway so cut and dried. Apple is flavour of the month for sure, but for how long? iOS8 is crap, and the lack of RAM pathetic. Many more mess-ups like these and the flavour of the month might turn sour.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Apple is flavour of the month for sure, but for how long? iOS8 is crap, and the lack of RAM pathetic. Many more mess-ups like these and the flavour of the month might turn sour.

The 34,000 phones they sold EVERY hour last quarter suggest that it will be a long time before the flavor of the month turns sour.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
OP should be probably stay away from jailbreaking. If the stock iPhone is crap and answers are difficult for the OP to find, jailbreaking is only going to add an additional level of complexity that will be difficult to surmount.

Last edited:

dyt1983

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2014
USA USA USA
Why can't I turn off data without it throwing up a warning every time I enter an app? It just makes me leave it on because I'm so sick of having to see it, I KNOW I'VE TURNED IT OFF FOR **** SAKE!

I know, that one really ticks me off.

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The 34,000 phones they sold EVERY hour last quarter suggest that it will be a long time before the flavor of the month turns sour.

Very few of those customers were able to demo the phone for a week before they bought it. 34,000 people liking the look, promise, and status of a product sufficiently enough to purchase it is not conclusive proof that they were all happy with their goods after the event and that they would do it all again.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
So just to be clear, when faced with what is a clear problem, your solution is not to try and find a solution, but rather to abandon the platform entirely?

How the hell did you last on Android for so long?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I know, that one really ticks me off.

I guess my iPhones are known for battery life. My 6+ I can charge every third day and my 5S is every other day. Signal strength where you are has a big effect.

Well, if you need customization, maybe the iPhone isn't for you. It's not something to get angry about, it just is the way it is. And if it's not for you, there's other choices. No big deal.

Personally I wouldn't even bother writing a rant, I would just switch. What did you get out of it? ;)

----------

Again, not sure why you hang around here if it is so detrimental to you.

Not sure why you need the most expensive phones when you evidently hardly use them....

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Why is it that Touch id can pay for stuff on the store, yet it doesn't require my account password to register a new finger? It only requires the 4 digit thing you use to unlock the screen and so if I hand it to someone and don't want them asking me the 4 digit code, they can then go wild buying things once they register their finger.

You actually do need to enter a password to be able to add a finger or even access the "touchid/passcode" settings. You can easily change it from a 4 digit passcode to a complex one.

Several of the problems you mentioned are known things about iphones. You really bought an iphone thinking customization was an option?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
So hiding few folders and/or placing icons where you want them makes this the worst phone ever?

All the other garbage about being a battery hog would mean you have a defective phone and could return it for a replacement. IMO

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
So just to be clear, when faced with what is a clear problem, your solution is not to try and find a solution, but rather to abandon the platform entirely?

How the hell did you last on Android for so long?

My thoughts as well. Coming from Android and generally being a fan of both platforms, I'll still say that I feel like I have much more control over what eats my data and battery than my old android phones used to. Overall I've experienced much better battery on the iPhone 6 than any other phone I've ever had. My only complaint is that it doesn't have fast charging.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Good choice. Android is a great O/S with some pretty nice phones available now. You should enjoy it.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
OP: The battery issues you mentioned sound like bugs. No iPhone I've ever had behaved remotely like that, battery-wise. Seek repair/replacement.

The other issues are apparently a big deal to you, so maybe another platform would suit you better. IMO, they are either very minor annoyances or total non-issues, nothing I would let bother me.

In any case, not sure what venting about it gets you (unless this post is just trolling) - just get a phone that works better for you and be happy.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

You do know you can change the passcode to be as complex as you want, right? Use these instructions to enable complex passcodes. Which is what you should be doing, anyway.

But seeing as you pretty much have made up your mind, the point is moot anyway. Stop torturing yourself and go get an Android phone.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
So the performance of the products doesn't matter, just the stock price? Ordinarily these two things would go hand in hand but things aren't alway so cut and dried. Apple is flavour of the month for sure, but for how long? iOS8 is crap, and the lack of RAM pathetic. Many more mess-ups like these and the flavour of the month might turn sour.

Opinion.

I find iOS 8 to be quite feature-rich. A few hiccups here or there, but I experience that with just about every piece of technology I own. Certainly more so on some than my iPhone.

And if by "flavor of the month" you mean "best selling smartphone/smartphone line for the last 5 ish years" then, yes I agree.

----------

So hiding few folders and/or placing icons where you want them makes this the worst phone ever?

All the other garbage about being a battery hog would mean you have a defective phone and could return it for a replacement. IMO

Yup - my thought as well. I had an iPhone 5 that had a faulty processor that would eat my battery very quickly. Apple replaced it without any issue.

Podcasts (and other audio) do not drain the battery that quickly. That's a faulty device, not a problem with the iPhone in general.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.