Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Lost 48% on standby over night and I cannot see what is draining it because the usage wont list whatever is doing that.

It is that ****ing last update and I cannot go back because Apple don't let you and who knows when it'll get fixed.

At least with Android you can roll back.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Lost 48% on standby over night and I cannot see what is draining it because the usage wont list whatever is doing that.

It is that ****ing last update and I cannot go back because Apple don't let you and who knows when it'll get fixed.

Have you tried restarting your iPhone? I had an unexplained massive drain one night, and after recharging, I did a restart and the drain disappeared.

benx1111

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2013
In fact, iPhone 6 is the best phone right now really, your problems sounds like 14 years old guy.. "Why I don't have more customization.. why don't have widgets" This is best selling phone ever.. brake many records. The battery consummation is perfect, I had many android devices like S2, S4, nexus5 and this is the best battery from all. So if you don't like this perfect phone just given to some who want.
In my case this is my first iPhone, and I'm very glad and happy with this phone. My girlfriend have xperia z1 and this is best laggy phone ever. I tell you the truth. Even no basis for comparison between these two phones.

Last edited:

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
I've had Android phones for years and they've been great, had a Galaxy S2

I had a Galaxy S2, my ex has an S2, his mum had an S2, 2 of the people i line manage had the S2, my sister had the S2, and the common thing we all said after a year was the phone was absolute *****. We all had the same issues, the OS would freeze, crash, the phone would get red hot and drain the battery in minutes, would sometimes not charge, would start going charging/not charging when not even plugged in, and apps would crash all the time or go VERY slow.

Now some work colleagues are starting to see this with there S3's. The rest of us have switched to iPhones and don't have these issues and are not going back to Samsung.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I'm never buying an iPhone again.

You sound like a sports fan that says they are never watching another game of XYZ team again. We already know you will crack and come back ;)

For myself I own both an iPhone 5s and Moto X. The iPhone 5s is my daily driver but occasionally I will stick my SIM card into the Moto X so I can scratch my Android itch, get fed up with Android, and remember just how much better the iPhone is for me.

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
I don't want to add fuel to the flames, but as far as updates go, android devices are generally terrible with receiving more than one. The exact reason I opted for a Nexus 4. I've gotten every update since Jelly Bean.

Outside of some flagships, such as the Nexus devices, HTC One, GS3-GS5 and Galaxy Notes, most devices only got one update because after that, the manufacturer didn't want to invest money to update all their older devices. I think updates were generally expected for roughly 6 months after a device came out, and then it was pretty darn rare after that point. That's a very large reason that Android is so divided. After a quick look on developer.android.com, the breakdown is all over the place.

v2.2 ~.5%
v2.3 ~8%
v4.0 ~7%
v4.1 ~19%
v4.2 ~20%
v4.3 ~6.5%
v4.4 ~39%

These are numbers collected by Google through their Play Store. The fact that nearly 15% of active devices are running an OS that is 2.5+ years old, and another 40% are running an OS over 2 years old is pretty crazy. At least another 40% are only 1 version behind.

There is a reason Apple likes to make fun of Android with regards to the OS version users are on. Apple is able to boast that they generally have 60% of users on the latest version. I think Apple is trying to do too much with iOS 8 at once, hence the multiple updates we've received since it's release. They try to push a major feature, which contains bugs, so one update comes out just afterwards to fix said bugs. And then they fix even more, leading to another update 2 weeks later, and the cycle continues. I Would personally prefer to have updates a little less frequently than Apple is currently doing, but more frequently than Google is at the moment.

The fact that I need to restart my phone to make or receive phone calls defeats the purpose of having a phone... (/rant)

Neither OS is perfect, and at least both are attempting to fix the problems that are currently being experienced. I try to stay involved in both iOS and Android, so as to keep an unbiased opinion when discussing with others. Beyond giving my cousin a hard time about thinking her iPhone is the best thing ever of course.

PS
I understand the ranting post due to such a bad experience, but as a few others have noted, there is seriously something wrong with your iPhone if it's draining battery that quickly. Anymore than a few percentage points of battery for an hour or two of podcasts is abnormal (I'd think up to 7% for 2 hours is okay). And 50% drain while idling overnight is way too much. Some settings would need to be corrected, such as background updates, and maybe email frequency.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
OP, something is obviously wrong with your phone and you shouldn't write off the best selling phone in the world because you got a lemon.

Try restoring as new.

If this doesn't work, take it in to Apple for a replacement. Mine drains 1% overnight with everything on.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Another android troll. Ok.

Or the unluckiest iphone owner in world.

Why hasn't it been replaced/returned.

And, everyone OP knows has deteriorating charging cables. Is this a known issue?

Also, what am I missing on the icons statement. Still new to iphone, but I can move my app icons around and within my folders. I deleted apps I will never use and put rarely used ones into a folder. I have one HomeScreen for everything.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The question is do I care that the OP has had a bad experience with the iPhone and has gone back to Android? No I don't to be brutally honest. Do they want us to argue why they are wrong? My battery life is good for one day's solid use and for me that is all I need. If others are not happy with it, then it's shrug shoulders time.

Enjoy your next choice OP that's all I can say.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
In fact, iPhone 6 is the best phone right now really, your problems sounds like 14 years old guy.. "Why I don't have more customization.. why don't have widgets" This is best selling phone ever.. brake many records. The battery consummation is perfect, I had many android devices like S2, S4, nexus5 and this is the best battery from all. So if you don't like this perfect phone just given to some who want.
In my case this is my first iPhone, and I'm very glad and happy with this phone. My girlfriend have xperia z1 and this is best laggy phone ever. I tell you the truth. Even no basis for comparison between these two phones.

I did not know that the main problem of teenagers is "customization" and "widgets". I thought it is something else. :D

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
I had a Galaxy S2, my ex has an S2, his mum had an S2, 2 of the people i line manage had the S2, my sister had the S2, and the common thing we all said after a year was the phone was absolute *****. We all had the same issues, the OS would freeze, crash, the phone would get red hot and drain the battery in minutes, would sometimes not charge, would start going charging/not charging when not even plugged in, and apps would crash all the time or go VERY slow.

Now some work colleagues are starting to see this with there S3's. The rest of us have switched to iPhones and don't have these issues and are not going back to Samsung.

I've had many, many phones over the years but the Galaxy S2 was the best phone I ever had. It was so ahead of its time when it came out and was super zippy. Updates and old age eventually brought it to its knees.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

I will say this isn't typical. Have you taken it in to get looked at?

----------

Oh good, one less person waiting in line on launch day.

346 scalpers have come of age in the amount of time it took me to write this message.

TyWahn

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2003
Yes it does

Do you even know how to use your phone? It tells you EXACTLY what is draining your battery. Broken down by the last 24 hrs and the last week,
And the whole lock code and registering fingers complaint makes no sense at all. If you hand a friend your phone, you'd have to put in your 4-digit code 2 times to register a finger Here's an idea, don't tell them the code.
You obviously got a defective unit. Exchange it or sell it for a profit.
A lot of your complaints sound like you have a very minimal - at best - knowledge of the iPhone or iOS 8.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
Very few of those customers were able to demo the phone for a week before they bought it. 34,000 people liking the look, promise, and status of a product sufficiently enough to purchase it is not conclusive proof that they were all happy with their goods after the event and that they would do it all again.

You are right. They couldn't demo the phone for a week.

They had TWO weeks after they bought the phone to try it out before getting a full refund!

barondebxl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
I've had Android phones for years and they've been great, had a Galaxy S2, HTC One and Xperia Z1c with no issues. In fact the Xperia Z1c battery life was so good I only had to charge it once every 5 days, usually I only got 2 days out of my phones before that.

I'm not a power user, I view the net for like 5 mins a day, I text, have a few phone calls and listen to music on it for a couple hours a day. I'm not viewing video content or playing games or generally things which drain a lot of battery life.

So why the hell does the podcast app on the iPhone drain 70% of my battery? Even if I turn off all signal it drains the same amount. Listening to a podcast on my Xperia used about 3% of the battery, listening to one on my iPhone drains 30%.

I thought Apple was known for battery life? People with iPhones always go on to me about how Android is **** and uses lots of resources, yet my iPhone has to be charged before the end of the day or it is dead... the worst battery life I've ever had with a phone.

Why is every update buggy? They always seem to introduce battery problems or wifi/bluetooth issues and I have to wait for another update to fix it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, stop giving me needless updates when they just make the device worse! With Android I'd have like one update per phone, it was always good, worked, no issues. I don't need lots of little updates constantly breaking my phone. Now the latest thing introduced with the last update is the home/lock screen is now using a chunk of battery even though that is when it should be using nothing!

Why can't I turn off data without it throwing up a warning every time I enter an app? It just makes me leave it on because I'm so sick of having to see it, I KNOW I'VE TURNED IT OFF FOR **** SAKE!

Why can't I put icons where I want? Why can't I hide Icons I don't want to see? Lots of little basic things that Android lets you do, IOS is like "NOPE, NO CUSTOMIZATION FOR YOU"... I want to be able to place icons where I want, not have them auto go to the top left.

Why is it that Touch id can pay for stuff on the store, yet it doesn't require my account password to register a new finger? It only requires the 4 digit thing you use to unlock the screen and so if I hand it to someone and don't want them asking me the 4 digit code, they can then go wild buying things once they register their finger.

I just find myself so frustrated with the iPhone and to top it all off, today my charging cable stopped working for no reason. The cable is mint condition, hasn't been abused and yet it has stopped working. I should have seen the signs that it was a pos when everyone else's I see has holes in the rubber as it has started to fall apart around the end.

Oh look I can see my iPhone has lost 5% while sitting in idle while I typed this.. why is it losing so much battery sitting doing nothing?

Worst phone ever
iPhone known for battery life? Is this a joke? iPhone always have had crappy battery life especially when compared to the competition. Only when the 6 and 6 plus were released that we started to see good and awesome battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.