I'm Not Giving Up: Sprint iPhone February 7th?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tnick777, Jan 28, 2011.

1. tnick777 macrumors regular

tnick777

Hi guys, I know it seems like every time I've posted here it's been me, a Sprint customer shackled down by ETF's and an Android phone, helplessly hoping someday the iPhone would grace the yellow carrier.

Well here's what I've been reading and I was wondering if people shared my somewhat optimistic outlook that Sprint will get the iPhone soon too.

Part I: Verizon's iPhone isn't all for Verizon
    Verizon does not have exclusivity rights on the CDMA iPhone
    That's right, they don't.

So why wouldn't they announce them both at the same time? I think it's so Verizon could get a month's head start on the iPhone pre-orders on their carrier before the other CDMA carriers gained rights to hold the iPhone. I think that the long negotiation with Verizon was centered around the contract rights and what that would entitle. There had been many rumors in the past like this regarding the Apple iPhone on sprint back in October:

I think that it was always a plan to release the iPhone on more than one CDMA carrier considering they produced 30 million CDMA iPhones source.

So I think how it went down was Verizon was able to announce it first while Sprint had to hold its tongue (and other companies too), etc. and then after Verizon had a month in the spotlight, Sprint (and maybe other carriers) would begin to carry it too.

Part II: Imaging in the media
    We've all seen the T-Mobile Commercials where they talk about the ATT network being slow, and we've also seen the Sprint commercials where their 4G makes their friends "sweet iPhone" faster.

Notice anything about these commercials? They bash the carrier but they make the iPhone look attractive.

This is not only marketing to the people for their carrier but it could also be corporation-to-corporation marketing showing how Apple would benefit having their carrier as the next home of the iPhone.

Part III: Why now? Why February 7th?

SOURCE PC MAG ARTICLE: http://www.pcworld.com/article/216568/is_a_sprint_iphone_on_the_way.html
    Other reading:
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/iphone-coming-to-sprint-ceo-dan-hesse-has-no-comment/
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._on_possibility_of_gaining_apples_iphone.html
    http://www.macgasm.net/2011/01/28/sprint-making-nice-apple/
    http://www.goingwimax.com/will-sprint-be-the-next-iphone-provider-12438/

I'm sure me, and the millions of other Sprint Customers are wondering.
    And hoping

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Please don't hold your breath... it could be dangerous to your health

3. tnick777 thread starter macrumors regular

tnick777

I've been holding my breath almost a year now :p

I'm desperate.

I can't stand my HTC Hero anymore, our family can't afford $800 in ETF's then to switch to Verizon/ATT.

4. macinnv macrumors regular

I don't know if it will be Feb 7 but it will come to sprint next most likely. Makes sense to go to the largest carrier to the smallest from a business perspective. I think with the next iPhone qualcom will have a chip that supports more bands that will cover T-Mobile also, might not be considered a true world phone though.

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

abandon all hope, ye who wish the iPhone to come to Sprint. :D

6. Stoutman11 macrumors member

not coming to sprint..... give it up.. they have the 2 US carriers they want.

7. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I think desperation is impairing your reasoning.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Maybe in the summer when the new iphone is out.
    I dont think it will come out now as soon as its released to Verizon.

9. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the invites to sprint's event next month are supposedly for hp tablets.

10. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Eventually Sprint and T-Mobile will get an iPhone, but could be 2012 or 2013 possibly.

Apple would be smart to do it sooner than later, would really put a big dent into Android. Right now both these carriers offer some very nice Android phones, the Nexus-S on T-Mo is a great phone, as is the EVO 4G on Sprint. But if they were selling the iPhone 4 now, I bet it would be the #1 phone for each carrier, and give Apple millions of new buyers.

My questions is, as a business why wouldn't Apple want a few million new iPhone owners ?

11. Jack105 macrumors member

I have no idea if it would come out on Sprint nor do I care, but the Sprint commercials for the HTC EVO where quotes were shown giving praise to the EVO followed by a quote saying it was better then the iphone now contains the same quote but minus the quote saying it is better then the iphone. May be reading into it too much but you never can tell.

12. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

If anything, Sprint and Tmobile would get the iPhone 5 when it's announced

13. StopLookingAtMe macrumors newbie

I am also looking forward to the iPhone being released on Sprint.
    This is a picture from Sprint's website about a week ago, since it has been removed, but if you look closely there's a tablet on the right, a netbook in the back and an iPhone on the left. Now of course this doesn't mean anything official but the question is why?

Attached Files:

14. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

Sprint is claiming something "New". No way they'd announce an IP4 right after Verizon did. I'm betting its going to be some sort of network enhancment. There are no products out that they can change the game with. If they do by chance have some sort of awesome hardware, no one's heard about it and its likey to have have been leaked by now.

15. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

After all the people who kept saying that the iphone would never come to Verizon ever! only to look stupid now.... I'm surprised people still make comments like these...

16. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

That's not an iPhone. That's an iPod Touch inside one of Sprint's Peel cradles that gives the iPod Touch 3G access. You can tell by the Music and Videos icons in the dock.

17. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Why?

If I was a CEO from Sprint and just found out that Verizon will have the iphone soon... I would do all I can to keep my customers...

This is of course my opinion.

18. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Thanks rwilliams I had to double check that picture myself to make sure. No way thats an iPhone... just an iPod touch ;)

19. macinnv macrumors regular

If the iPhone doesn't come to Sprint and/or T-Mobile then you can say goodbye to those companies in about 2 years!

20. ehoui macrumors regular

Sprint's future existence is questionable with or without the iPhone.

21. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Lol very true. iPhone 5 GSM model should include 1700MHz UMTS already. I think apple just doesn't want to be embarrassed by T-Mobiles limited 3G coverage.

22. gta50419 macrumors 6502

it's possible.
    remember when people said Verizon iphone wont happen? look at it now

23. Mstyle88 macrumors newbie

Im on T-Mobile and Im embarrassed by my AT&T friends coverage.

24. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

if it covered ATT & TMobile then itd be a world phone, cuz itd have all the GSM bands

TMobile is GSM

25. hcho3 macrumors 68030

T-mobile and Sprint can cry all they want, but they are not good enough to compete with AT&T or Verizon.

Sprint=49 million users
    T-mobile= 33 million users
    AT&T=95.5 million users
    Verizon wireless= over 94 million.

You tell me. The biggest 2 carriers got their iphones for their customers. Could care less about Sprint or t-mobile. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sprint Users + T-mobile Users < At&T or Verizon users.