I'm NOT rich!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Omgitsdesmond, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Omgitsdesmond macrumors newbie

I'm sorry, but I need to rant. I just started college a few months ago. Apparently I'm the only one there with a MacBook air. I also have an iPhone 5 and an iPad 2. I use each device at different times, on different days, for different needs. I have been labeled, "the rich kid". I am NOT rich. I had to save for about a year to buy my first MacBook Air a few months ago, and I got my iPad 2 with my tax money at the beginning of the year. I upgraded to the iPhone 5 because I had an upgrade available, which I saved for by putting back about 50 bucks a month for a while. I work at a retail store part time.

Why do people see the Apple logo and just assume "kid kid"? Do people just not know how to save money, or what? Apple makes good products. That's why I buy their products - because I like them, and they fit into my lifestyle well. I don't spend money on cigarettes, and I save on gas by walking. Anyone else in school labeled as a rich kid? Am I the only "poor" apple user? What is going on around here? Lol. I see everyone with an iPhone, but when you have more than 1 apple product, apparently that is going too far.

Yeah, I just had to rant. I don't like being called something I'm not, when its turned into something negative, that is.

2. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Lol I did not know being called a rich kid was a negative thing? Your in college do not let the high-school drama get you upset. If you know how to budget for the things you want and other people do not, then maybe you are rich. Rich with knowledge that they do not have and people just like to be envious and jealous about everything they do not have. If some of these people are your friends that are calling you rich, then I would suggest finding new ones that are not going to label you because of material possessions.

Live life, who cares what others think. Your an adult now, do not get wrapped up in little dramas that do not mean anything.

3. Omgitsdesmond thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I just find it odd. That's all. Just wondering if its a common thing for people to say, I guess.

4. 184550 Guest

5. leenak macrumors 68020

I was recently taking some classes at a local community college for the hell of it and I was surprised how many people had iPhones. Granted, I was mostly in classes with older working adults since they were evening/weekend classes but still. It always just seemed like an unnecessary splurge to me even though the finances aren't an issue.

Cell phones weren't really something average people had when I went to college, but even if I was an 18-24 year old nowdays, I doubt I would've thought of having a smart phone. But who knows. My budget in college was pretty tight and money I made went to books, rent and tuition. There wasn't a lot left over for a lot else.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

This makes no sense to post on a forum full of Apple users.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

some people spend loads on clothes

some people like to eat out alot

some like to put inane amts into their cars

and so on

we all have out things we like to spend on

8. leenak macrumors 68020

why not? do you think every apple user has an iphone? or thinks one is necessary?

9. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I think your worrying way to much about it. Youre in college... Go meet some girls

10. Omgitsdesmond thread starter macrumors newbie

I should also clarify something else... My friends say it but they are just joking because they know when people that don't know me see my apple devices and mumble rich kid that it can sometimes irritate me a little. So it's not my friends that I have issue with. It's the people that are serious about it that I am fussing about. I know it's not a big problem, just something I think felt like discussing. (Or ranting about, I suppose).

11. RRutter macrumors 6502

Seriously though.. Why waste your time even creating a thread like this? Rule #1 of life: who cares what anybody else thinks of you.

Have fun in College; I'm sitting in my College library as we speak anticipating the upcoming weekend :)

12. leenak macrumors 68020

When I went to college, the real difference between the rich kids and the not rich kids was the rich kids had their college paid for. The not rich kids worked a lot of jobs, dug like hell for scholarships and what not. If you have the money, then do whatever but also don't assume others don't know how to save for things.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Seems like there is no reason to stress about this so much. I wouldn't worry about it.

14. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

No, most people do not know how to save money. So, when they see you with these devices, they assume that you spend money as they do, and still have enough left over to purchase Apple products (i.e., you or your family are "rich").

I can't imagine your devices would even raise an eyebrow at my school. However, they apparently do at yours. Personally, in your situation I would try to keep my iPad use discreet, since that device might be perceived to be less for "productivity" (despite the many available apps), but that's just me. I usually try not to attract undue attention.

You are, of course, free to do otherwise, but now that you know the "ground rules" of your environment, don't complain that others make (incorrect) assumptions based on what they see. Everyone does it.

15. Omgitsdesmond thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree that we shouldn't care about what anyone else thinks of us. But I don't see this thread as a waste of time. I thought I was free to discuss the apple community here in this community section of the forum. I thought maybe more people had heard similar things, but I guess not. It's just the people in my school. That was all I was really wondering in the first place.

16. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Take that guys advice: don't worry what other people think about your posts. Make a thread about whatever you want and if people want to join in, they will.

17. RRutter macrumors 6502

Of course you're free to make any thread you want. Rumors don't spread on this forum like they do in High School, though, so don't expect anyone to have heard anything.

Ahhh, High School. It was so much fun

18. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yep. This.

For example I read an article recently that the average American spends about $900/year on booze.

I don't drink much - don't like the taste of alcohol and it only makes me sleepy anyway. No point. So that's $900/year I can spend toward other things without feeling any worse off than most people.

Some people spend lots of money on sports equipment. Or camera lenses. Or tuner parts for their car. Or eating out at fancy restaurants. Or lululemon outfits. Or Apple products.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's a negative criticism of someone? Lucky you!

20. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

If this was an issue about perceived beauty instead of perceived wealth, would you still be ranting here and shouting "I am not attractive, dammit! Everyone stop stereotyping me!" :D :cool:

Dude, just chill out. You can play the "rich kid" thing to your advantage, or you can also find ways to play it down. The perception is not gonna destroy you. When you make lasting friendships (in college or wherever), your true friends are not gonna care if they think you come from a rich or not-so-rich family.

21. token787 macrumors regular

token787

Chill out, maybe they are just playing, just a word. It will be ok. :)

22. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Yes you are rich. We all are. The poor people don't have the option to go to collage or buy any apple products. They are too busy trying to get food and to survive. We are all rich on this forum. Be great full and don't worry what some stupid kids think.

23. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

24. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Do you go to UTEP? :p

25. chown33 macrumors 604

Treat it as training for the real world outside school. Trust me, being called "rich kid" based on your computer choices will seem childish.