I'm officially a MAC snob :)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mossimo, Aug 22, 2008.

1. mossimo macrumors member

mossimo

Hi everyone! My name is Mossimo. I have read so MUCh great info on here on making the switch to a MAC ( thanks Sam ) Just wanted to thank all of you who took the time to write all that great info. It made my life so much easier! OS X is such a great OS, i swear it made using a computer fun again. I don't miss PC's even a little bit. What 's there to miss, a barrage of warning pop ups, blue screen of death, crashes, all those needless clicks! Is it me or do you HATE havingto use a PC even for 5 minutes. Thanks god, i am not forced to use even boot camp, i would even hate to to see a PC screen on my gorgeous mac screen. The question is do you guys have friends or family that talk crap about macs due to an uneducated opinion etc. For example, macs aren't compatible with this or don't have drivers for that. You know the type.;)

2. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

3. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Am gonna be pedantic here; surely if they dont know then how can they fear?

Is it not better to state ' People fear what they do not understand?'

(yeh yeh Shes in a funny mood tonight)

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Congrats on the switch :)

I'm both a Mac snob and an iPhone snob... to a degree. It's definitely refreshing after switching to a Mac. I feel like that every time I come home from working on a PC all day.

It really doesn't matter what computer you use, as long as it works for you.

I think the latest Apple ad sums it up.

Now, the next step is to convert people... just try not to be too preachy ;)

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Mac users are not snobs. Being more knowledgeable does not equal to being a snob. =)

It's like calling Einstein a snob because he knows more about physics than the average person.

Mac users, since they typically have to deal with Mac AND windows, know the shortcomings of windows.

Those who never used anything else (most windows users) thinks the only thing important with their computer is the specs, because they don't know how an intuitive OS with no virus no spyware no slowdowns will save them time (time is money).

6. mossimo thread starter macrumors member

mossimo

Yeah i have a Iphone as well. Just got a ACD which i found at a pawn shop for three hundred SCORE! as well. Costa are you from Costa Rica by chance? Thanks for the replies.

7. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

8. mossimo thread starter macrumors member

mossimo

Consultant, thats a great point. Never looked at that way.

9. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Im not a snob, im just better than everyone else :rolleyes:

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I agree with Consultant, simply because people believe macs are expensive. Not true, I configured a Dell XPS and a MacBook to almost the same specs, some specs I can't control, thickness, OS, etc. The Dell was 1.8K and counting (no software or anti-virus) and the MacBook just sat there with no configurations at all, excepting choosing the middle configuration. Oh yea, forgot the warranty...

Macs arent more expensive, the starting price is just higher, but the hardware matches the price. Pc laptops, well, they have a lower starting point with junk hardware, my friends brand new toshiba ($400) had a faulty ethernet, no wireless card, OS was laggy, ram wasnt recognized, and the speakers blew out when he turned it on. took it to the store, they said there wasnt warranty for some reason. oh yea, forgot to mention his priceless data (he put his itunes library on it, photos, etc). Pcs are really better... NOT.

11. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Na she either lives in spain portugal or gibraltar, i use Mac's and I'm definitely not a snob

12. mossimo thread starter macrumors member

mossimo

Wow, Thats horrible! I guess you get what you pay for. But you really have to wonder why windows allows so many random makers to use their OS, oh yeah its called cash. Tends to make you the richest man in the world. I am not a hater in the least, but i think steve jobs and the mac team know exactly what their doing when it comes to taking Microsoft market share, just look at both of their stock sales. Not to mention computer sales.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

microsoft split their stock a few times already. apple hasnt, but overall, microsoft stock doesn't move, it doesn't go up or down significantly, apple store does. like the iphone 3g, the stocks soared. and then it fell back again. last year around the new releases of leopard and etc also soared the stock around 200 per share, nots its around 170-180 per share.

14. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

If you were a real Mac snob you would know that Mac and MAC are two different things.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The volatility of AAPL has been a source of ridiculously wonderful profits for many years! I'm not complaining at all! :D
    ....and, contrary to the beliefs of neophytes, the 17" MacBook Pro is NOT known as the "Big Mac"! :D

16. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I don't know exactly the time frame you're looking at is but Apple has split their stock 3 times, the last time being in feb 2005

Info Here

17. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i used to think that Macs had no compatible software. but then i found different solutions for OS X and realised that they were actually better but some are actually free and open source! Mac OS X as made me appreciate using and developing software so much more.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree with Consultant. Mac users typically have to know both systems, which allows them to make an objective judgement as to the benefits of the respective systems. Security matters, also in coming to conclusions. As does design.

However, I'd argue that the snobbery tag inevitably comes to almost anyone who appreciates good design, that elegant fusion of form and function which is best expressed by great design. In the world of computing, that is best expressed by Apple, although even in the PC world, there are attractive products (Sony have long excelled at design). So, yes, I'm a snob, if snob is one who loves products which are well designed, aesthetically attractive, work well and do what they are supposed to do extremely well. Cheers

19. cristo macrumors regular

A snob is not one that thinks the products they are using is better than anyone elses, but is someone who looks down on other people because of this. I do, actually, see people whose response to a windows user is something along the lines of "scoff.. you must be an idiot if you're using windows. I've got a mac, and am sooo much better than you.." This is snobbery. Regardless of whether your computer is better than theirs, it does not make you better than them.

On a slightly tangential topic, I once heard someone say that macs were ideal for the extreme beginner, or the computer expert, but not for the everyday joe. I wonder how much truth there is to this?

20. mossimo thread starter macrumors member

mossimo

However, I'd argue that the snobbery tag inevitably comes to almost anyone who appreciates good design, that elegant fusion of form and function which is best expressed by great design. In the world of computing, that is best expressed by Apple, although even in the PC world, there are attractive products (Sony have long excelled at design). So, yes, I'm a snob, if snob is one who loves products which are well designed, aesthetically attractive, work well and do what they are supposed to do extremely well. Cheers

That would be me.

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Actually, they are the 17" iPod, phone, internet communicator
    (at least I use them that way some of the time)

No truth. OSX is easy to learn for anyone open minded no matter what their computing competency. Advanced users can do command and short cuts, while beginners can click their way around.

22. Deschain macrumors member

I have to say your opinion is just as irritating and uninformed as those who bash macs.

Pop-ups, BSOD, crashes, etc only occur if you're using Windows WRONG. An educated user won't experiance those problems.

I'm currently using a macbook as my main machine (until i can decide what i want to replace my ageing desktop with) but my previous laptop was a dell running XP. I used it solid for 4 years. Never got a BSOD, not a single virus, i don't recall any hard crashes but if there were any i'd easily count them on one hand.

OS X, XP/Vista, Mac, PC. It really makes no difference, 99% of the time anything one can do you can do with the other (sometimes in a different way or with different software.

The fanboys on either side all come off as ignorant and uninformed. It is possible (and logical) to be thrilled with OS X without sounding like a moron and crying about Windows.

23. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

I've been using MS-DOS and Windows since the mid 80's. The nearest I have ever been to a Mac has been in shops. First time was a department store in 1984 and later in dedicated computer stores. Just having a play with the mouse made me dislike them intently. I can see now that was only because they seemed so alien and I felt completely lost.

I have been a Mac user/owner now for only about 36 hours, but I get it now. Even in this short time I can see why people are passionate about them.

I'm using a Powerbook G4 with OS X 10.4.11 that I bought cheap off ebay just to get a job done. The job is now done, but I'm not going to stop using the Mac. I love it. I can't see me changing over my main PC to a Mac in the near future.

The Powerbook G4 is such a capable machine for it's age. It easily compares to my 12 month old Sony Vaio.

24. belunos macrumors member

This isn't snobbery, this is all bigotry. You're assumption that Mac people are somehow more knowledgeable.. well, frankly, it's laughable and brings the whole Mac community down about 3 notches.

25. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd guess that if you took a poll among Mac and Windows users, you would find that a larger percentage of Mac users have experience with both Mac OS and Windows (many of them either "converting" from Windows or still having to use Windows at work), whereas a smaller percentage of Windows users have experience on both. From that standpoint, it's likely that a higher percentage of Mac users are more knowledgeable and equipped to make informed comparisons of Mac OS vs Windows than would be true among Windows users.