I'm on my 5th iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greenlightracer, Oct 3, 2008.

1. greenlightracer macrumors member

2. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

3. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

that's too bad, but at least you get to promote you blog. Amirite?

4. greenlightracer thread starter macrumors member

i guess so? not the point though really. i wrote it, and I was curious if anyone else is experiencing the same... so i asked?

5. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Sounds like you have a little rain cloud that follows you around:D

6. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

i got a replacement not too long ago, however with this one the screen isnt flush all the way around with the silver edge, at one point the screen is below the silver frame creating a rough edge, does anyone feel this is grounds to get it replaced? After working as an inspector in a machine shop i would call this poor build quality

7. greenlightracer thread starter macrumors member

I wouldnt call that normal. All of my (5) iPhones did have alignment problems on the back with the aluminum (well, the ones I had for sometime anyway) but I think its due to the fact the aluminum expands and contracts with heat.

8. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

ya know as great as these phones are, they are really built like ****, never in my life did i have to replace any of my phones let alone 2 or 3 times. But then again as a wise man said "what can you expect out of 12 year old Asians"

9. iblastoff macrumors 6502

gold medals in the olympics

10. greenlightracer thread starter macrumors member

;) priceless

11. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

hahaha not according to the paid off officials for the olympics who recently cleared them. Tell me that team photo doesnt look like a kindergarten class photo

12. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

I had to replace two old Nokia's and two Motorola's over the last 18 years. Then at work I need new phones every 6-12 months, work provides the cheapest phones, I carry my personal phones at the same time, and they all last, Motorolas, and iPhones.

13. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Wow... sorry about the bad luck! That really sucks!

Hope your 5th iPhone will last you a loooooooong time! :)

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm on my first, and it was a refurb. If you're on your fifth, make sure you aren't using some third-party product that may be killing it, like a charger. That sounds like a bunch to go through.

15. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

that's so very nice. now, why do we need to know? its ok don't be shy.

16. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Its interesting how some people have the worst luck with their phones, while the 3 iPhones I've purchased have been perfect from day one. Bought the original iPhone 8GB on launch day. Perfect in every way and still going strong. Several months later I bought one for my wife. Also still going. In August I bought a white 3G (week 29) for myself to replace my original one and it also is 100% so far. No cracks... nothin'. My oldest daughter was the happy recipient of my original iPhone.

17. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I've never truly had a problem with an iPhone
    I've replaced twice (once on my original iPhone, once on my 3g)

On my original iPhone, I got a dead strip (to this day I still don't know wether I caused it or it was a defect) walked into the store that day, walked out with a brand new phone. This played in my favor in the long run, because I had one in immaculate condition to sell on ebay come 3g purchase time

On my 3g, I had it in my pocket while playing a game of casual beach volleyball with my friends. I dove for the ball, and fell on my pocket. I'm not sure wether I crushed it or if a grain of sand got stuck somewhere, but the home button became very stiff and for the most part unresponsive

Since this occurred late at night, I day to wait until the next day to replace it.
    Since this was soon after the launch of the iPhone, they had none in stock, replacement or new. So they sent me to a nearby Apple store where they had reserved one for me, and I received a brand new one that day

In my experience, one at least of my 2 issues was my fault, but Apple replaced them for free anyway.
    What do you expect with a new product? Every manufacturing process has failure rates. When you consider the massive number of iPhones sold, compared to the number of reported cases, the failure rate is very low. It just seems unfortunate that the people who get the issues get multiple issues, and others get none whatsoever

18. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

My first 3g was perfect, no misalignments, no rattles, no light leaks, no chips or cracks, but the silent switch just broke after a month. The replacement i currently have has no cracks or light leaks but one corner of the screen is slightly below flush with the silver and my lock button is loose, where it rattles if you shake the phone, i have held off a replacement since i live a good hour n change from an apple store, also because i dont know if they would replace it, but another thing is do i want to chance getting a replacement with even worse problems??

19. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm 90% happy with my current iPhone 3G.. here are some things wrong with it that I'm not worried enough to risk getting a worse one:

1. Volume buttons are un-even... one side is lower and harder to feel when pressing it, but it works

2. Hold switch and Ringer switch are loose to the touch and you can hear them vibrate if you shake the phone (again, nothing to lose sleep over)

3. I have a tiny crack forming near the volume rocker (hard to see, doesn't affect the phone at all)

4. The screen has that shimmery/scan lines effect on it, but every single iPhone I saw at the Apple store had the same exact issue so I don't think trying to return it would yield any results. My original 1st Gen iPhone had a 7-series screen and although had the negative black issue, it didn't have the shimmering lines... go figure. However, my iPhone 3G's blacks are much better and I can see detail in dark images.

5. I have some light leaking on the left side, but so did my 1st 3G... it's worse near the volume rocker, but it goes down most of the left side... not sure if that's bad enough to try and take back and risk getting one with a screen problem that nobody can seem to see, but me.

They wouldn't exchange my 1st Gen iPhone with the negative black issue and I had to return and rebuy the last 3G iPhone I had because they failed to see the shimmering screen I was talking about... it's really sad.

20. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Sometimes I wonder what other people's definitions are of the word "Perfect". Is it...

A: Perfect to them (meaning they don't notice any flaws and since they don't look hard enough for them, they are happy?)

or

B: It truly IS perfect and they've looked all over and examined it very well and didn't find a single thing wrong with it.

I'm a believer that NO iPhone is actually "Perfect" it ONLY depends on how high your standards are of a certain product. My standards are really high so I doubt that I'll EVER get MY PERFECT iPhone, but that's just me. There will always be something wrong.

I believe my 1st Gen iPhone would have actually been perfect if the glass was straight and the negative black issue didn't exist.....

21. nick9191 macrumors 68040

If your standards are extremely high then the last company you want to buy products from is Apple.

22. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

see I always thought the opposite

23. greenlightracer thread starter macrumors member

lol me too. but thats why I got the AppleCare. Just a word to the wise... it only costs $70.

24. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Don't get me wrong, they're still better than most, but thats not saying much.

I myself couldn't care less. I bought a computer to work, if it cracks or turns yellow, or the palmrests turn shiny, I don't care, as long as it does not prevent me from using my computer. It just shows my Mac is well loved.

25. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

If it makes you feel any better, I'm on my 4th iPhone 3G. The quality is horrible, something I wouldn't expect from Apple.
    I've bought a great deal of products from Apple and typically they're all in pristine condition. The way they should be!

I bought the first generation iPhone on iDay (First day release of iPhone) and the phone was made the way it should be. The build quality was fantastic!
    I bought the iPhone with 2 other friends and there build was just as amazing as well!

However, my first iPhone 3G build was bad with dead pixel + dust particles.
    Second iPhone 3G - Many dust particles in the center and bad build, uneven casing from bezel and casing.
    Third - Horrible casing +jammed unlock/lock button
    I'm on my forth iPhone 3G right now and it's great build with one particle of dust and the vibrate function is ridiculously loud! It's okay because I don't really use vibrate. I'm just going to stick with this iPhone because i'm sick of driving to the store.
    That's my story, so don't feel bad! I'm sure they're others with the same problem but, they don't mind as much.