I'm on the fence, and need some advice...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Mad Hatter, Feb 11, 2012.

  1. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

    The Mad Hatter

    Oct 12, 2004
    ...both the wife and I are ready to upgrade our iPhone 3GSs, but I'm not sure if we should get 4Ss or wait for the 5/6/or what it's going to be called.

    I like the specs of the 4S, and the fact that it's JB'able (I don't know if I could live without Lockinfo #)

    However, with all the enhancement rumors of the next iPhone, I'm wondering if we should wait (but 4+ months is a long time to wait for the phone, then who knows how long for the JB.)

    So if anyone could give me some insight (as my wife is fine either way) it would be appreciated.
  2. DroidRules, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

    DroidRules macrumors 65816

    Aug 10, 2010
    It's most likely going to be a heck of a lot longer than 4 months as they have moved the iPhone release to the end of the year.

    I say upgrade then sell your 4s and get the next one with a bit of out of pocket $$. You could put $50 away a month and by the time the next i is out you should have enough to cover the cost for both of you. (with the sale of your 4s's)
    I would buy some band protection like lucky labs has to keep your phone in the best possible condition for resale purposes..... and front and back protection as well. Good luck

    Hey cynics, does this post fit your bill of a "good" post? Wouldn't want to disappoint you again!
  3. PNutts macrumors 601


    Jul 24, 2008
    Pacific Northwest, US
    Go for it! My wife and I upgraded last month. From a 3GS it will be spectacular.
  4. aleni macrumors 68020

    Jun 2, 2006
    the upgrade from 3GS to iphone 4 is spectacular. let alone the iphone 4S. id say go for the 4S, u wouldnt want living yourlife waiting for something great. just enjoy life now.
  5. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

    Spectrum Abuser

    Aug 27, 2011
    This is a no brainer.. WAIT for the new phone. If you were still using the iPhone 3G(turtle on 4.X) then this story would be different. But the 3G(s) is still running the latest software and has enough hardware to do it much more smoothly then the iPhone 3G on 4.X.
  6. YsoSerious macrumors 6502


    Oct 8, 2008
    Wait. Crappy battery life on the 4s will drive you insane. Only upgrade cause my iPhone 4 died.
  7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601


    Oct 14, 2007

    Get the iPhone 4 and jb !
  8. Agent-P macrumors 68030


    Dec 5, 2009
    The Tri-State Area
    If I were in this situation, I would go with this route too. You still have time to put some money away each month to cover the difference in price after both of you sell your 4S's. Just take good care of them and sell them before the next iPhone is announced. Then go back to the 3GS for a couple of weeks. After that, it's a new iPhone for both of you!

    Although, since you're concerned with being able to jailbreak; then I'd say just upgrade to the 4S and stick with it. If Apple does go to the A6 processor as rumoured, then we have no idea how long the next iPhone will take to jailbreak (the A5 processor devices took quite a while). Jumping from a 3GS to a 4S will still be a good upgrade and you won't have a bad phone either (even after the next iPhone is released, the 4S will still be a good phone).
  9. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

    ET iPhone Home

    Oct 5, 2011
    Orange County, California USA
  10. motoleo macrumors 6502a


    Jan 27, 2012
    You've had the 3GS long enough. Go ahead and upgrade to the 4S.

    The people that speculate don't have any inside information, they just make wishlist. Don't be diverted from having the newest Apple product by them. These rumors are having a negative effect on customers. They spend all their time waiting for the next best thing and don't enjoy the devices that are on the showroom floor.
  11. Jordan921 macrumors 601


    Jul 7, 2010
    Bay Area
    Lol all these people saying wait don't know when the next phone is coming. I would upgrade if I was using a 3GS.
  12. Calidude macrumors 68000


    Jun 22, 2010
    Don't listen to people here. There's people here who literally buy every iPhone as soon as it comes out. THEY WILL ALWAYS TELL YOU TO BUY NOW BECAUSE THEY ARE ADDICTS THEMSELVES.

    Here's what's going to happen in either situation:

    YOU BUY NOW: You get stuck with a 4S while the fanboys here telling you to buy the 4S get the 5/6 anyway, leaving you in the dust, regretting asking these people anything.

    YOU WAIT: You get the next iPhone and the same fanboys who told you to buy the 4S sell their 4S's and get the 5/6. At least with this option, you win out as well.

    Ergo, you should NEVER LISTEN TO PEOPLE HERE. They are mostly a bunch of rabid Apple fanatics who will always buy the next iPhone and sing its praises. Don't ask them anything about buying your next phone. If you like the 3GS and its giving you no trouble, keep it. If you need something on the 4S, buy it. Simple as that.

    Here's my answer though. I'd wait for the goddamn phone. I have a 3GS and there's nothing wrong with it. I have the software up to date and I'm going to buy the next one the day it comes out.
  13. motoleo macrumors 6502a


    Jan 27, 2012
    The answer is simple really.

    If you want a new phone, Apple would like you to buy the 4S. If you do not want one, do not purchase.

    When you fall behind though, you end up in predicaments such as this. If he'd had a 4, he wouldn't feel like he was waiting for a new phone. You can only purchase phones that are being sold. Don't get caught up in rumors.

    It has nothing to do with fandom.
  14. DroidRules, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012

    DroidRules macrumors 65816

    Aug 10, 2010
    A bit hypocritical of you don't you think?

    I buy a new iPhone each time one comes out because I can...... I bought the 4s when it came out and never used it until it could be jailbroken, I bet that really chaps your hide. I still have a 3gs, bet that one gets under your skin too!!
    Some of us aren't poor and can afford a new iPhone every time it's released. I might buy 2 next time just to stick it to you! Either way it's not really your concern what I/we do with our money.
  15. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

    Jun 3, 2011
    Depending on your financial situation, I'd recommend buying two iPhone 4's (not 4S) on like craiglist or ebay for cheap and saving your upgrades for the next iPhone if your heart is set on getting the next phone. If you'll be content with the 4S when the new phone comes out, just get the 4S now.

    I wouldn't recommend getting a subsidized 4S now and then getting the next iPhone in October.

    2 iPhone 4 ($600-700) + 2 next gen subsidized iPhones ($400+tax)


    2 subsidized iPhone 4S' ($400+tax) + 2 unsubsidized next gen iPhones ($1300+tax)
  16. The Mad Hatter thread starter macrumors 6502a

    The Mad Hatter

    Oct 12, 2004
    I thank you all for your advice (even though at times, it got a little heated :rolleyes:). I'll most likely get the 4S because... <insert cliche reason here> (bird in the hand, seize to day, etc.). If and when 5/6 comes out, I'll either sell/upgrade or enjoy what I have and wait until the "S" version comes out (I'm getting used to it :D). I just hope to get them before Apple releases 5.0.2.

    Thanks again guys, your opinions were helpful.
  17. SR45 macrumors 65832


    Aug 17, 2011

    :D Great Reply... 100% agree
  18. chambone macrumors 6502a


    Dec 24, 2011
    Keep the 3GS's and spend the money on your kids or something. The novelty of any new piece of electronics will wear off in a couple of weeks anyway.
  19. scaredpoet macrumors 604


    Apr 6, 2007
    If the OP was interested in novelty, he wouldn't be using a 3GS right now.

    The 4S is a known quantity: it's solid, fast, and good. Get it.

    The new iPhone 5 is still vaporware. There's no point in holding out at this point for a phone that we haven't even seen supplier part leaks for yet. Especially when the 4S will still hold value if you want to sell it an upgrade to the next one (where the 3GS will probably be nearly worthless by then).
  20. iceterminal macrumors 68000


    May 25, 2008
    Dallas Tx.
    Since you have this dilemna, try this solution.
    Just buy one iPhone 4S. Keep the other 3GS. Try out the 4S for a month or so. See if you like it, how it feels. If you love it, then get another. If not, wait for the 5/6 to come out.
    This way, you're not cornered or locked in 100%.
  21. scaredpoet macrumors 604


    Apr 6, 2007
    Meanwhile, you're stuck in this this cycle where you might as well not buy anything because OMG APPLE IS GOING TO COME OUT WITH THE IPHONE 6. If you're going to wait months and months for the next big thing, only for the NEXT next big thing to come out later in a matter of months, you might as well never buy anything.

    I buy an iPhone model because it works for me TODAY. If the next iPhone has something I find useful, then I'll buy it and sell my previous model knowing it'll cover close to 3/4 the upgrade costs.

    The OP's 3GSs are getting long in the tooth. A 4S will last him at least a couple more years. We have no idea what the iPhone 5 is, when it will come out, or if it's truly revolutionary, another evolution or a complete dud. There's no point in chasing something that doesn't exist yet.

    I find that kinda mentality tends to be reserved for the specs whores and the guys using android phones. I don't point and laugh at someone with last year's iPhone. Usually, I don't really care what someone else uses as long as they're happy with it.
  22. Fudd macrumors member

    Nov 23, 2011
    Use one upgrade to get a 4s and the other to get the next version?
  23. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604


    Jul 4, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Forget waiting, there is always something better, newer, faster, etc. if you wait long enough. If the wait time is semi-confirmed (i.e. Apple booked a venue after WWDC) and the current hardware doesn't meet/surpass your wants/needs, then wait. Otherwise, why wait for something that it just extra? The potential resale value argument that someone has/will bring up is rather stupid because this phone is first and foremost for your/your wife's needs, not how much you can sell it later on.
  24. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

    Aug 31, 2011
    Miami, FL
    There's always mixed reviews on this type of question. It is up to you though on what you decide to do. I for one would just tell you to upgrade. Honestly, who knows when the next iPhone comes out. If it doesn't come out in June. Are you going to wait til the end of the year to upgrade? No one knows what will happen to you or anyone else tomorrow. And if you upgrade and want the new iPhone; Just sell it. Hell, most retail stores would let you trade it in.

    Good luck.
  25. harpyeagle macrumors regular

    Mar 18, 2011
    ^ This. My wife and I were doing this until now when I needed an unlocked phone for an international trip due in the next couple of months. Just bought a 32GB black 4s(sold my 1.5yr iPhone 4 for $300). Not a big deal if you are upgrading from IPhone 4, but it'll be if you are coming from a 3GS. Personally, I still find it great especially the camera.

    Also, something to think about is that If you are on the "s" cycle upgrade that there will always be rumors of a totally redesigned device "just around the corner". Just realize you'll have the best phone that apple has put out at that time. Moreover, IMO, you won't lose lot of money if you are just 1 model below the current when you try to sell it from my experience. The 3GS might not be sellable( for some price that is) if you choose to wait for the next iPhone is another thing to think about. This won't be the case with the 4s however should you choose to sell it before the next version comes out. This of course is assuming you bought an off contract piece.

Share This Page