I'm Preparing to be Disappointed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AHDuke99, Jun 8, 2008.

1. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I am preparing myself for disappointment tomorrow. I am 99% sure we will see the 3G iPhone tomorrow and it will be exciting. However, I think we'll see at least a 2 week lapse between announcement and release, possibly into July. June 27th seems like the earliest date that it could come out. Also, I also think firmware 2.0 will not be released, along with the app store, until the end of June as well. Apple rarely releases things like this right after the keynote. From what I have read, these betas that the developers have been testing have not been dubbed a gold master yet, so I don't see how Apple will release the final version tomorrow afternoon.

I also have this strange fear that the iPhone 2 will not have GPS, as Apple seems hard at work to prefect Google Maps using Skywhatever WiFi tracking system. It don't know, it just seems like we are always underwhelmed after these keynotes sans MWSF 2007 when the iPhone was announced. I just have a bad feeling this one will either not be subsidized, lack GPS, IM, or something we all thought it would have. And we'll have to wait at least 2 weeks so Jobs can rev up the hype machine for a few weeks.

However, on a lighter note .. even though boxes have not been delivered to the stores yet, there is a possibility that it could launch tomorrow. I heard on FOXNEWS today that their "inside sources" at ATT said that Monday would be launch day, and in June of last year, the phones were delivered that morning as I sat in line. I remember armed police officers guarded the FedEx man when he was delivering them :p

They could be in a warehouse right now waiting to be delivered tomorrow afternoon. Has Apple ever done anything like that? Sure, they could change, but it would be a mad rush after Steve said they would be available today for everyone to get to their respective ATT or Apple Stores to get in line. Wow, I can only imagine the fans like us jumping in our cars the minute we see an online update saying "And they'll be available today."

Who knows. I remember being so underwhelmed back in September when the price was cut by $200 and then in April when 2.0 SDK/firmware was announced and due 3 months later. Steve likes to tease us, and I have a bad feeling tomorrow will be more of the same.

2. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Me too.

Apple has a great history of impressing and inspiring people with its new product announcements as much as it has a history of disappointing and alienating the very same people with new product announcements.

3. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Yeah remember the SDK? It was all hyped up for February and all Feb was was an announcement for a June release

4. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I'm preparing to be disappointed too, even though I'm hoping for good things. I have a feeling there won't be video recording or voice recording or iChat, maybe the phone won't even be released until the end of the month/early july =/. There are many possibilities.

If you think about it, from the time the iPhone was released, there haven't been many good updates. The only memorable changes are the iTunes Store App, edit the home screen, custom ringtones, update to google maps, several useful bug fixes, other somewhat unimportant things. So yeah, even though they are coming out with software 2.0, the updates prior aren't too good.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

This case is slightly different than others.

Apple will indeed release the iPhone to the public by the end of this month. We know this for a fact with the AT&T Memo, and countless other things, like with Apple and AT&T's current iPhone stock run dry. If they wait another month, they are losing so much money each day.

There is confirmation of a-GPS as well in the recent findings in the firmware/sdk.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

Go ask the Political, Social and religious Issues section of macrumors if your findings on foxnews are true. You'll be flamed out within five seconds for even mentioning fox.

7. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I read that a-GPS doesn't really confirm that GPS will be present on the iPhone. And that AT&T memo hasn't even been confirmed. So basically, disappointment is possible.

8. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

Microsoft exchange is a great update and very needed. Will it be available tom who knows but it will be coming so encouraging..

As for the new Iphone I think people will be dissappointed if no GPS or some Cheese GPS function....What about Flash?? Even lower cell phones have this..Or how about copy/paste function?? Shouldnt the basics be done??

9. levitynyc macrumors 65816

I was very disappointed with macworld 08..."Oh look, a smaller macbook" I wasnt impressed.

My iphone just went kaput today so I am hoping the new one will come out sooner rather than later.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

im gonna be dissapointed just like when jobs announced updates to be free for iphone but not for the touch. talk about bittersweet

11. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I believe Steve said Flash was not good, but Adobe will develop it anyway for the appstore, IIRC.

The firmware 2.0 actually doesn't offer very much if you don't use Enterprise features. As a student, I'll make use of the updated Google Maps and I'm diggin the Appstore, but if copy/paste and iChat are not present, as they haven't been in the betas, then it's basically a minor update as far as I'm concerned. PUSH email is nice if it actually worked with GMAIL, which I dont believe it does.

If Apple has placed all kinds of restrictions on apps in the AppStore, like not allowing AIM to run in the background, that will also be a major blow.

I'm very excited about what COULD happen tomorrow, but it always seems to be a letdown after it's all over. Right now, I'd put my money that after the keynote tomorrow, we'll be looking at at least a 2 week wait before we can get the 2.0 firmware and new iPhone, possibly mid July at the latest. AUGUST would be the worst case scenario (see G5 PowerMac in 2003). "We want to get these in your hands by the end of the summer, so they'll be shipping in August, after FCC approval" would be horrible to hear, but I haven't ruled it out.

I hope, hope, hope that Apple surprises us and 24 hours from now, a lot of us will be playing with the new iPhones with the AppStore, but I highly doubt it. It will be a lot of disappointed people looking toward the end of the month to get to try any of these goodies.

12. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

I honestly don't see why they would deny 2 months of sales. Trying to reach their goal in 10 months? Sounds a little tricky to me. Thats one sign that points to it being released soon, if not tomorrow. They wouldn't give up 2 months of sales...

13. Chrisrokc macrumors regular

That doesn't mean FoxNews isn't right. It just means you don't agree.

14. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

15. mmoosa macrumors 6502

mmoosa

they love that gap so they can get everyone talking about it and make everyone excited, those idiots:rolleyes:

16. aethelbert macrumors 601

No, I actually watch fox. But there are a lot of people on this board who despise it. And the PSRI forum is so biased that if you post anything there that doesn't agree with "obama 08," you might as well delete your macrumors account.

17. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I like FOXNEWS and watch it all the time. Some people on the left call it fake, but they are a respectable news firm. They COULD be right about them launching tomorrow, and the phones could be delivered tomorrow afternoon. It would be unprecedented for Steve to tell the crowd that they were being delivered as we speak, and mayhem would certainly ensue nationwide as the rush began to the ATT or Apple Stores. I'd love to be part of it, but I just don't see it happening. I hope I am wrong. If I wake up tomorrow morning and start seeing more leaks online about it actually going on sale tomorrow, then I'll start to believe.

18. Bart Lee macrumors newbie

No, actually the SDK was released on the day of the announcement in February. You must mean the App Store. Gotta have an SDK before you have apps. They aren't written overnight, you know.

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

There's a few clues in this post as to why your arguments don't do well in PRSI.

20. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

It's a bad sign that the Apple Stores aren't closing tomorrow.

21. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

Being able to atleast open a multimedia message would be nice though...They need something...
    I have seen the Microsoft Exchange in action (posted on the internet) and it looks nice...We use this at work with Cal and email so real time push is a must. My yahoo and mac address work very quickly.

As for the updates coming tom who knows...Org they said it would be around the 19th of June. We have waited this long so whats couple weeks.

As for the Apple store being a new function trying to see what all the hype is about that...Will you be able to download widgets??? If not who cars...Tired of internet apps and never use them....
    We waited each month for new updates and dissapointed every time...Sure the Itunes was cool but who pays for music??? I downloaded 1 song just to see how it worked and never open since..

22. aethelbert macrumors 601

Hence the reason that I've only posted in there twice, in cases where political views have nothing to do with the discussion ;)

23. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

Why would they need to close???

Everyone and their mother has an Iphone already but I dont know that many interested in updating...Many just cant afford it. I know atleast 20 people with Iphones and only 2 including myself are thinking about upgrading....

My buddy has 3g on his phone and we compared load speeds of pages...My iphone was slightly behind his, but Im loading a full looking webpage...Is 3G really that much better for the masses to spend the money

Its because were gadget heads though

24. aethelbert macrumors 601

It's not like the stores close when any other products get updated...

25. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

Man I don't know where you live but I live in NYC and if they drop this iPhone refresh, there is bound to be at least 1000 people going there trying to get it out of the 8.6 million people in New York.