iPad Pro I'm questioning keeping the iPad Pro, again ...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheLondonFella, Apr 4, 2016.

1. TheLondonFella Suspended

TheLondonFella

The animation stutter is unacceptable.

End of story.

When I get home, I'll first try resetting all settings.

I'll also try resetting the Home Screen (folders have caused animation stutter on my iPad 4, in the past. Turning on Reduce Transparency sorted it).

However, to experience iOS stutter on the brand new iPad "Pro" is just not acceptable.

PLEASE, PLEASE no bitching from the Apple Fanboys (or Fangirls). I want to love the device, I really do. The screen, speakers & WiFi speeds are superb.

However, if it stutters on a similar level to my iPad 4 then there's really not much point in me keeping it.

The main reason for me upgrading was to experience a buttery smooth device, again.

This stutter is the only thing that gives me cause for concern. It's also ruining my experience with my latest device ...

2. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

any chance of making a small vid to show this, im pretty unfamiliar with the problem. sounds like you're really suffering mate. how about take it to an apple shop see what they say?

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

There is no doubt I would return it. Take it to the Apple store and show them what it is doing and ask them to replace it.

4. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

It's weird that its stuttering, or at least not something I would expect on a brand new system. I never even experienced anything out of the ordinary on my Air 2.

Not that it should matter but are you using the 9.7 or 12.9" iPad. Have you tried running some benchmarks on it, if its benchmarking low it would indicate a hardware failure of some kind.

5. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

And the suggestions.

I'll not get into the exchange game with this new iPad. I am extremely unlucky with iOS devices, so if I send this iPad back then I'll just stick with my iPad 4.

Ecerything is perfect with the iPad, apart from the animation stutter.

However, I do think it's an iOS issue and not a hardware one.

My iPhone 6 used to be completely smooth on the previous version of iOS, bit I started to experience a bit of stutter as soon as I upgraded to iOS 9.

Oh well ...
    --- Post Merged, Apr 4, 2016 ---
    Nice tip, thanks.

I'll download Geekbench when I get home & give it a try.

6. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

Is it worth turning all animtion off? I know animation is part of the experience, but is it something you can live without?

7. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

I'll deffo make a video, mate.

Can I upload it directly to MR from my device, or does it have to be stored elsewhere?

I'll not bother going to an Apple Store. If I exchange it I know I'll only end up with a device that has dead pixels or such.

But I DO really believe it's iOS. Someone said in another thread how they'd tested every iPad Mini on display in an Apple Store & they all exhibited animation stutter.

I just can't believe it happens on a brand new iPad "Pro" ...

8. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

If you're not happy return it, you can't force yourself to love it.
    Ask for a replacement or for them to fix it to a level you find reasonable.

Can you show the difference to the store models?

9. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

Might as well just stay with the iPad 4 in that case, mate.

It stuttered badly on that, until I turned on Reduce Transparency.

Thanks for the thought, though ;).

10. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

Would love to see a video of this as mine is buttery smooth and I really can't even imagine what you are talking about.

11. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

How many apps do you have installed?

Also, how many folders?

Do you have all settings turned on for every app? I mean Spotlight Search & Background App refresh?

Tah.

12. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i have to agree here. it's such a shame, and should not happen on a new device, especially the Pro.

mine has 2 home pages, with 4 folders on the first page and 8 on the second. each folder contains about 12-16 apps. some more, with pages too. all my settings in ipad and apps are stock standard. and i leave most of my apps open in the background these days without closing them.

13. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

I'll be sure to do it later, mate.

So can I upload video directly to MacRumors?

14. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

Three home screens, eleven folders, over 150 apps. I don't purposely turn extra settings on for each app (because it is highly unnecessary) so for 95% of them, the settings are whatever they downloaded as. I don't know what's going on with your situation but in my humble opinion I think you may be pushing the device beyond reasonable expectations and then being shocked when it doesn't work smoothly. And quite frankly, this "issue" is hardly an issue. It's like the guy with 25 constant tabs open. That's fine if you want to use it that way but don't be surprised when the performance is 99% rather than 100%. By all means return the device if you feel you can't live with this tiny visual annoyance (and dont want to turn off animations) but I don't think we need any more new threads on the topic since no one else is up in arms... Good luck deciding.

15. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

So experiencing stutter when simply switch between TWO apps, or 5 finger pinching to Home Screen, or swiping up to access the ONE OTHER open app is "pushing the device beyond reasonable expectations"?!?!

ARE YOU HAVING A LAUGH?!

You're making assumptions, and that's the fool's method of working.

Go away, fan boy!

16. RedOrchestra Suspended

Dude, you're spending way too much time on this forum sweating out your purchase - take the damned thing back to the store and return to normal programming ... to suffer that much angst over a tech toy is ridiculous.

17. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I don't think you can, but you can upload it to YouTube and then put the video directly into this thread.

18. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

19. laturius macrumors newbie

I have animation stutter on my iPad Pro 9,7 128 GB Cellular as well. I made a short video (sorry for the bad quality, I'm not much of a film maker :D), where I was able to reproduce the lag / animation stutter on the homescreen (switching between Pagen on homescreens). And that is just one of so many examples where my new iPad Pro is struggling with the animations of iOS 9.

That's not, what I was expecting from a product that costs more than 1200 $ (converted from €, I'm from Germany, so sorry for my bad English :)). I'll return mine and hope for a better one without those stuttering in a replacement unit.

20. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Nice to see it in action. Well, obviously not nice for you but you know what I mean.
    I've not noticed anything like this but that's not to say it's not happening, I'll have to have a play when I go back in.

21. Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

If that's what you and TheLondonFella are experiencing then I understand how annoying that'd be and of course there is something wrong somewhere. I certainly don't have that on my Pro 9.7". Let's hope either for a software update or a replacement for those affected.

22. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

Does it go away if you turn Reduced Motion on?

23. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Mine does not have this animation issue you are experiencing and mine is buttery smooth. Loving it. I dont have movies or music on it and just a few apps for now.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

When you got your new iPad, did you set it up as new, or restore from a backup of your previous iPad?

25. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I have an iPad Pro 9.7, with folders, and lots of apps open. Not getting any animation stutter, so I'm not sure what's going on with OP.

That said, if you're really spending that much time staring at app-switching and swipe animations (as opposed to actually doing something with your iPad) and whatever you're experiencing bothers you that much, then absolutely, you should return it. Not exchange, return.

Lastly, if you have to insist that anyone who disagrees with you is automatically a fanboy, you are most definitely in the wrong forum, and probably the wrong ecosystem.