iPad Pro I'm questioning keeping the iPad Pro, again ...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheLondonFella, Apr 4, 2016.

1. StuMcBill macrumors 6502a

I got a 9.7 iPad Pro with 128Gb, restored my iPad Air 2 backup and I am seeing zero lag / stutter between any pages or apps. This thing totally flies!!

2. Wando64 macrumors 6502a

Wando64

I have Reduce Motion on on my Pro (as I did on the Air) and I am happy as Larry.

If the most powerful iPad cannot do the Animation thing properly (I have to take your word for this as I have no interest in even trying) then the problem is with the software, not the hardware.
    Changing iPad is not going to make any difference.

"Reduce Motion" on.
    Software problem gone. Bye bye.

Additional benefit, I don't have to put up with ridiculous animations that do absolutely nothing to improve the user experience (stutter or no stutter).
    --- Post Merged, Apr 4, 2016 ---
    I had to try this and what I found is that if you wait 1 second before scrolling after returning to the home screen (literally one second), there will not be any stuttering at all.
    You can blame the iPad for software design issues as much as you want, but it is and remains a software problem.
    Exchanging iPad is not going to make any difference whatsoever.

3. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

Brand new, buddy.

I'm going to try the steps I've already mentioned, then maybe restore from my Mac.

4. rui no onna macrumors 604

rui no onna

I've also had Reduce Motion enabled on all my iOS devices starting with the iPhone 5s. That has eliminated or at least greatly reduced stutter to the point where I don't notice it. I find the UI animations in iOS gimmicky and pointless, anyway.

Animation stutter may still be present but do consider that the device is noticeably faster than the iPad 4 in other respects. Personally, I find the iPad 4 and Air to be near the limit of acceptable performance when web browsing particularly for graphics and JavaScript heavy pages and have been itching to upgrade since last year.

5. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I see what you mean and yes...not really acceptable.

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

I am not having any stutter issues on mine. I did watch the video someone posted of the problem. That would definitely annoy me, but I don't think it would be to the extent that I would return it. Seems kind of trivial.

7. BitSlap macrumors member

The ipad pro 9.7 is basically the Air 2 with small differences. After playing with it for about a half hour in the Apple store this weekend, I could find no difference in performance over my Air 2. The one thing that sets it apart is the ability to use the pencil with it but the thing is 9.7 is too small for drawing, it only works well with small note taking. They really missed the mark with this iPad but customers speak with their wallets and Apple has likely already figured it out over the abysmal sales for this iPad.

8. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

Welcome to MacRumors!

9. RedOrchestra Suspended

You've seen the actual sales numbers?

10. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

It may seem trivial to you, but you're not experiencing it ...

11. MaulRx Suspended

Abysmal in less then a week....

12. RedOrchestra Suspended

Take the damned thing back to the store and close the book already ... geez, Louise.

13. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

Thanks for the video.

Do you also experience a bit of stutter when closing an app (4 finger swipe up or pressing the Home Button)?

I mean when the apps/folders "fly" into view?

Stutter of any kind with regards to iOS animations is COMPLETELY WRONG and UNACCEPTABLE on THE LATEST/BRAND NEW iPad "Pro".

Makes a mockery of the "Pro" branding, even further.

Do you think you will return it?

14. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

Couldn't disagree more. Just because it's not the ideal upgrade for an Air 2 owner doesn't mean they missed the mark. And you can't possibly have any clue how sales have been.

15. BitSlap macrumors member

Apple has already reported another quarterly decline this week in sales. I don't need numbers to understand it flopped.

16. BitSlap macrumors member

Apple also sold 16.12 iPads. Wall Street was looking for 17.3 million units, and that shows the continuing downward trend of iPad sales. It flopped.

17. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

Apple reports weekly sales now? News to me!

18. MaulRx Suspended

Sounds like some sort of rationalizing because you can't afford one....

19. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

OP, it seems like you have THREE options.

1) Turn Reduce Motion ON to eliminate your problem and be happy with an otherwise awesome device
    2) Exchange your Pro and HOPE that the REPLACEMENT one doesn't have the same "issue"
    3) Return your Pro and SETTLE for whichever PREVIOUS model you already own with its REDUCED capabilities

Continuing to complain here does NOTHING to move you forward. Personally I'd rather have an amazing iPad with Reduced Motion than a lesser iPad or to play and fail at the exchange game.

20. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Question, when you encounter the stutter, how many apps are on screen? Include those in folders.

I notice that with the video it stutters on a screen with 79 apps, not including the ones on the dock. It also only stutters on the first swipe to the page. This suggests it is loading something which is then cached, and then either refreshes or gets rid of the cache when you hit the home button again.

Are you seeing similar? If so, I would actually chalk this up to how Springboard is handling delay loading icons. I don't see it, but I run with around half the number of apps per page at max. And having a lot of apps requires a bit of work to load it all from disk. And it isn't throughput, it is latency, and the number of round trips made to disk, which is at least 2 per app.

21. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

So it's iOS?
    I've given that a thumbs up because I'm in a good mood ...

22. apolloa macrumors G4

Ooohhhh, interesting, have to say I haven't had that with my Mum's Pro. Hmm not good. Could it be an app you guy's have installed?

23. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

I'm happy for you ...
    I was thinking that, myself ...

24. BitSlap macrumors member

ummm... ok.

25. apolloa macrumors G4

Kinda like Android, an app can go 'rogue' and hammer resources or something. I think iOS apps can do the same? I guess setting it up as a blank new device will soon show you if it is an app or not.