I'm Ready! Sold my 16gb 3G!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cgrier, Jun 2, 2010.

1. cgrier macrumors member

Today on Craigslist for $250 cash, and it's running 3.1.3. The guy only wanted my headphones too. I think i made out well, i did have some scratching on the back but i had a screen protector on the front the whole time.

I stopped by AT&T and picked up a $30 nokia and dropped my sim in... that will get me by for hopefully only a few weeks at most. So that leaves me with $220 for the new iphone since my contract is expired and i am eligible for the upgrade w/ a new 2 yr contract.

Here's to hoping they dont change the pricing and i can get at least 16GB for $200!!!

Good luck to everyone else.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Please, don't do away with your data plan or you will loose it.

3. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Haha I jumped into the bay with my phone, and now have that exact $30 Nokia phone! The t9 is impressive on it...

I bought mine from radioshack, and they will let you return it up to 30 days after you bought it. At&t may do the same, so you should check before you throw out the packaging - then you can get $30 back when you get the new iPhone :)

4. cgrier thread starter macrumors member

I didnt! I read those articles this morning and that's really what made me go for the sale... with those new data contracts going into effect on the 7th you have to believe the new iPhone will drop VERY soon after it's announced.

GOOD LOOKIN OUT!! Will do.. as long as the new iphone drops soon!

5. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

What do you mean the new iPhone will drop? I've heard it will stay the same price, and the 3gs will go down to $99.

It was something with Walmart dropping to $99 and saying new phones would be sold at the old prices the 3gs was sold at.

6. cgrier thread starter macrumors member

When i say "drop" i mean be released.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

jav6454 was saying loosing your data plan. The new plans take effect on the 7th, that being said, with the new iphone coming out after the 7th, you will lose the ability to get unlimited data. You will be stuck paying 25 for 2GB.

8. cgrier thread starter macrumors member

I didnt cancel my data plan. Didn't change anything... just bought the phone and dropped my sim in. I'm good to go.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yup, the smart thing to do.

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Okay, got it, then yes, you are good to go.

11. Bombercoach macrumors newbie

I sold my 3g right after getting my 3gs on ebay for $350 and never had to do without my phone. Thought about selling earlier this time and getting another phone for a bit but found out today from someone at AT&T that it wont go on sale it the end of June he said the 25th. I'm sure it will be close to that the last three have been released on fridays and the 25th is as well. I know what i'm planning on doing that friday morning.

12. cgrier thread starter macrumors member

We'll see... doesnt make sense to me that they blocked off the whole month of june for AT&T employees just to release the next iphone in the last 5 days. I'm hoping for the 18th or even next friday.

13. vilasgn macrumors regular

I have sold my iPhone 3GS almost a month back and temporarily removed my data plan. I am very sure ATT will restore my $30 data plan if I decide to take a new iPhone.

When I removed my data plan I told them I have some issues with my iPhone and it's not working and I am using some dumbphone so please remove my data plan.

14. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Ya...I highly doubt you will get your unlimited plan back after the 7th if you dont have it already.

On a different note, selling my 8gb 3g on 3.1.2 later today! Not sure yet what im going to do with myself with a dumb phone for the next couple weeks :p

15. fishmoose macrumors 68000

You still need to get AT&T to give you a microsim with your number or take out the scissors.

16. mjz147 macrumors regular

Now don't bash me, but I am on Sprint, and just did the same thing with my hero and am waiting to get the EVO.
    However I am a big iPhone fan and can't wait to see what the next gen brings, So I know what your saying, also having a cheap old phone for a couple of weeks, makes the EVO or iPhone even better when we get it.

And this may sound stupid, but even those basic flip phones usually cost $100-$150.
    I hope you didn't waste your upgrade for that cheap nokia one.

17. cgrier thread starter macrumors member

Nah i went in and said give me the cheapest phone you have that i can put my sim card into. Paid cash... this is what i got...

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...ia+2320+-+GoPhone®+-+Prepaid&q_sku=sku4190225

It says prepaid but i just got an extra credit to my account when i put in my sim card. I ALMOST will feel alittle guilty when i return it to AT&T when the new iphone comes out. lol

18. AppleFreak89 macrumors regular

please don't return it...that hurts commission ...

if anything keep it as a backup

19. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

True, you never know when you'll need a backup. Plus, it's only $30
    My idiot sister-in-law broke her phone and was strapped for a cell. It would have been nice had I kept mine, but I returned it the day before :(

20. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I can't help commenting on this. The poor people that sold their phones already are screwed if they wanted to continue unlimited data. For sure AT&T will not let them grandfather the unlimited if they canceled it when they sold their phone. I had a feeling there was going to be some sort of catch with the iPhone this time around. I'm afraid of the pricing, if they raise the prices on the lowest GB or if AT&T bundles some sort of iChat plan thing that i will not want to pay for since i wouldn't want to use iChat.

21. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Wrong. But partially right.

Just because you sell your iPhone to someone else (say off of craigslist), this doesnt mean you have to call up AT&T and cancel your data plan!

I sold my phone yesterday and have been making calls with a back-up dumb phone all day...yes I look online and the AT&T website recognizes that Im using a different phone than my iPhone. However my iPhone data plan is still active, I called AT&T to verify this.

So yes, if they call and cancel their plan and have it taken off of their account, no way are they getting the unlimited back after the 7th. However if you just sell it, swap SIM's to a different phone and wait until the new phone is released you are fine.

Just because I swap phones, for example: If I was leaving the country internationally and I didnt want the iPhone always checking my email (using data) so I swap to dumb phone for a week to avoid this, there is no reason that AT&T would take off your iPhone data plan. In fact this is the exact senario Im in, and exactly what I explained to the AT&T rep, and they said that they would not take off my iPhone data plan unless I requested it.

22. cgrier thread starter macrumors member

I'm STOKED!! I convinced my wife to let me sell her 8GB 3G last night. Her's was in really good shape and i got $270 for it. I'm really shocked. So total i got $520 for both. Minus $60 for 2 cheap phones... so we're good to use both of our upgrades on the new iphone and even come out ahead!

And NO, neither of us canceled our data plans. Come on now... i frequent this place and im a geek, i was sure to tell the AT&T people NOT to touch our data plans or account at all. Just bought the 2 go phones :). UNLIMITED BABY!

And sorry, i will return both go phones and put it toward insurance on our iphones.