I'm reevaluating my Needs for expensive phones

Scarpad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I currently have a 7plus that i bought and are paying monthly with the intension of going to an Iphone X when released , but after paying close to a grand for the plus and the X is even more expensive i'm really considering going back to the SE, I had the SE briefly when originally released and now that they've gone to 128gb on the device i'm really thinking about going back to it, am i crazy

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I currently have a 7plus that i bought and are paying monthly with the intension of going to an Iphone X when released , but after paying close to a grand for the plus and the X is even more expensive i'm really considering going back to the SE, I had the SE briefly when originally released and now that they've gone to 128gb on the device i'm really thinking about going back to it, am i crazy
You're not crazy at all. You just need to find what's most comfortable for you and your price point and overall daily usage. I owned iPhone SE and it was a great phone for what it was worth, which I know they can be found for as little as $150 in some retailers. But you're correct, smart phones are very expensive today and you should be skeptical about a $1000 iPhone X, being it is your money.

Jimbo Limbo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2015
Toronto
I think that going to an iPhone SE is a brilliant response to $1000 iPhone X.

The little one does all you need it to do. If I had a phone, that is the one I would get. 128Gb Grey with black. I think that iPads are where it is at. The kind of money that you could spend on an iPhone X is better spent on an iPad Pro.

The Ipad Pro would be the main machine, and the iphone would be the communicator, and photo collector. On second thought, perhaps I could do with the 32Gb one if I offload photos often enough to IPad Pro.

Also, switching to iPhone SE sends a strong message to Apple that rising prices are not acceptable to the market.

Reactions: Bethanie21

Nilhum

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2016
Yea you are crazy. It's just a phone. The X has a new form factor and is not going to magically change your life. You are still going to be doing the same things on it and are overthinking it.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
I’m sitting on my 7plus and I think I’m good for the rest of this decade. It’s a killer phone and, barring any freak disaster to it, should last.

It’s also product red so it’s fashionable ;)

Scarpad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
my thoughts exactly i have a 2017 ipad and eventually want to go with a pro, the SE does pretty much everything i do on my phone and now with the extra space allows me some much needed room

danniexi

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
not crazy. you're being reasonable and responsible with your finances and use case. none of us need any of this stuff. i personally have a 7+ and it's more than enough phone for me.

but will be buying an X because im horrible with my money and i need animated shiet face in my life.

Last edited:

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I don’t think it’s crazy, but I don’t think it makes sense to move from the biggest iPhone to the smallest.

If price is a concern, just keep the phone you have.

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
i think its about as smart of a financial decision as you could make. They are selling second hand for dirt cheap, and has all the features a normal user would need. To me the X is a status symbol, conversation topic, a beautiful piece of machinery that would be a joy to hold and use daily, so the high cost hurts a bit less, but everything is subjective.

Scarpad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I don’t think it’s crazy, but I don’t think it makes sense to move from the biggest iPhone to the smallest.

If price is a concern, just keep the phone you have.
I've had the SE before and I like the form factor, plus i can get the brand new SE for less than what i owe on the plus

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
am i crazy
No.

You do sound like one of those once a year updaters that is starting to realize that keeping up is costing you.

If you update every so many years or so it's not that expensive. Our upgrade timeframe is once every 2 to 3.5 years, depending. We handle it with our tax refund. Consequently I get what I want because the money is there.

The only downside is that you aren't going to be on the most current phone after the first year…if that sort of thing bothers you.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
If you update every so many years or so it's not that expensive. Our upgrade timeframe is once every 2 to 3.5 years, depending.
This.

I've been an every three years updater since I got my first phone in 1995. With iPhones, after three years, I still have good resell value to offset new phone purchase, get a new much peppier device with the latest extras since old device was purchased. Per year cost of ownership does go down to a reasonable number.

And to be honest, I'm not a gamer, not streaming videos every minute on it, my phone is a tool to accomplish things when away from home (including, shocking!, using the phone part), so, don't need the best-est screens, biggest screen, hence the 8 instead of X this refresh cycle. So what the 8 looks like my ex-6: it works, gets the job done, and is a much faster device (though, imo, my 6 on iOS 11 worked well; could have replaced the battery for $79 and got another year out of it and do XI phone next year).

Reactions: eyoungren

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017
Shun the non-believer...

lol nah you’ve got your head on straight haha, we are the crazy ones*.

*the misfits....the rebels....

Reactions: gemnilocs

cenetti

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
my apple watch 3 lte is more expensive than my iphone SE...

And i love the SE. But then I have laptops, ipads, desktops. I don't ever use my phone as a computer like some do.
Smaller the better for me.

Reactions: Jimbo Limbo

brianric

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
Thought of getting the X, but my 7 Plus, which was free, is good for another two to four years. If it needs a battery it's less than $80. I'm retired, on fixed income, and would rather spend the $1300 or so if you add Apple Care and use the money on an Olympus 17 mm/f1.2 lens when it comes out. I'm a volunteer photographer for a bunch of charities and would get more use out of the lens than I would for an iPhone X.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I could never use something as small as an SE as my daily driver - I use my phone's display quite a bit since I use it as an internet connectivity device and camera more than I use it as a phone. And I can hardly even read texts or my calendar on an SE even with my glasses on.

A smartphone is not just a phone. It is my camera, my internet connectivity device, my GPS navigation device and my communications device. It also is my calendar and reminder device as well as a device that helps me track my fitness and exercise. Of course it is also my calculator and alarm too as well as my "iPod". With Samsung Pay, it is also my credit card. The S8 has an FM radio in it, so it is my radio, too.

A smartphone is a hand held mobile computer and music player that can also take pictures and make phone calls.

All of those functions I can't live without and the SE's screen is far too small for me.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
iPhone SE is the best iPhone ever made, inside/out. You won't find any better phone with a A9 chip that outperforms Snapdragon 820/821 from last year for only $150.

I don't mind Plus model size because it does feel better for me to type on. But their bulkiness gets annoying after awhile. I already got used to typing on the SE like riding a bike again after half a decade. You won't forget.

I don't care if iPhone SE and MacBook Air are considered entry-level. They both offer great value. Only weaknesses on them is their display. My 13" MBA's footprint is a little too big and would prefer the 12" MacBook size.

Still two of the best Apple products ever made. Two products that won me over with Apple after a 3-4 year hiatus from them.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
none of us need any of this stuff.
You need a smartphone in order to function in todays working world. And the large screens with faster processors and more RAM increase your productivity because the phones can get things done quicker.

Teenagers don't need smartphones but those of us who are professionals need them for our work. And many people who aren't professionals need them for their work too, i.e., uber drivers. If you travel or commute for work, the GPS navigation and real time traffic info can be a life saver.

And having a great smartphone camera eliminates the need for me to have to buy a point and shoot. Do I "need" to have a camera? Yes, it is a essential for personal safety.