iPad I'm so excited to get an new iPad. Anyone else feeling the same?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheDeviceUser, Oct 14, 2014.

1. TheDeviceUser, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

I currently have an iPad 3, bought just after release, almost two years ago. However, since iOS 7 was released, it's experienced significant slowdown and it's now become and essentially unusable device. Especially when you see it next to my iPhone 5s. Therefore, I'm extremely exited to get a new iPad which will bring all the new features to it.

I've been planning to get one for a while, but like most, was expecting the new iPad to be a modest upgrade above the iPad Air. However, I now think that feature wise, it's looking like this could be a bigger upgrade than the iPad Air. Remember, the iPad Air only really had two main features.

- New Design
    - A7 Chip

However, for the new iPad Air, it looks like it's going to have a plethora of new features.

- Retina HD Display
    - A8X Chip
    - 8 MegaPixel Camera
    - Touch ID
    - Apple Pay
    - Split Screen MultiTasking
    - Gold Option
    - 2GB RAM

This really does make for a really significant upgrade, and in my opinion, a bigger upgrade than the iPad Air was. Essentially the iPad Air was about cramming as much about an iPad 4, with a Retina Display ect.. Into a far thinner design. Whilst this is about adding further technologies to it whilst making it thinner again.

What do you think? Are you not excited to get a new iPad?

2. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Absolutely. I've been sore that I didn't pick up the Air but the 2GB will make the wait worth it, I hope.

3. TheDeviceUser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I forgot to add that! So I've added it on now. I sure think now that with the 2GB RAM, A8X Processor, that Apple will be adding Split Screen MultiTasking. It was rumoured with the iOS 8, but if it requires new hardware, it could well be a feature just for this iPad. In a similar way to how Siri was limited to iPhone 4s only.

4. Kendo macrumors 68000

Meh. You could say the same thing about every iPad release. Whoa iPad 2 with new design, thinner, lighter, 3G, A5. Whoa iPad 3 with Retina display, LTE, and A5X. The truth is, every iPhone and iPad release at the time seems like the biggest upgrade ever.

5. TheDeviceUser thread starter macrumors 6502a

I disagree. I certainly wouldn't say the same about the 4th Generation iPad or iPad Air.

6. petvas, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I have sold my iPad Air a month ago and I don't miss it a bit. I use a Macbook Air and my iPhone 6 for everything mobile.
    My iMac takes care of the rest...

The iPad always makes me feel restricted in a way. I know that this device cannot do much, so I don't bother using it.

I would like to see Apple making iPads more capable as computers and then I might start using them. I am sure that there are many use cases for an iPad out there, but none is for me.

7. sinar macrumors regular

I'm quite excited, I'm using a 3 and am looking forward to getting the next Air as a replacement

8. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I'm waiting for the Air 3.. or maybe longer. My iPad 2 still runs well and does everything.

I thought the Air was one of the biggest updates. The form factor change was extremely important, as the design hadn't been improved since the iPad 2, actually it had gotten worse with the added iPad 3 thickness and weight. The A7 was a big power boost and the move to 64 bit was significant.

9. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Have you ever handled an Air? As much as I love the iPad 2's weight and design, I think the Air's great.
    I also like how it won't dig into my chest as I read something in bed. :D

10. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

I just sold my Air so I'm definitely excited. Now I'm just trying to decide what color to get.

11. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I'm an Air owner as well and I am incredibly excited to upgrade. Thursday can't come soon enough!

12. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

13. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Thats what I was saying, the OP was arguing that the iPad Air was not exciting, but I said it was, as it was the first design leap since the iPad 2.

14. ephemeralreason macrumors regular

ephemeralreason

Can't wait to pick up the Air 2! This is looking like a significant update which has made the wait worthwhile. Really hoping for at least iphone 6-like storage increase: 64gb for 32gb price.

15. Rodster macrumors 68040

Exactly, well said. Next year we'll hear the same thing from would be purchasers and it's really more of the same.

16. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

If it suits me, great. If I do jump, there's a little educational discount too.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm content with my rMini.

I'm interested in seeing what it will look like and what features but all in all, I'm not in the market for one now.

18. TheDeviceUser thread starter macrumors 6502a

What I mean was, yes the new design was a total breakthrough and absolutely stunning. I've got no doubt this is where some of the iPhone 6 inspiration came from. However, in terms of adding actual features to the iPad Air, I feel that was left behind. For me, this is the more exciting year, when any design issues have been ironed out and they add a lot of new features and spec bumps. I always find the 'S' models (Which is essentially what Apple is moving to) more exciting.

19. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'll be replacing my iPad 2 with the updated Air and I'm expecting it to be a little bit quicker. ;)

20. TheDeviceUser thread starter macrumors 6502a

As an iPad 3 owner, I expect to see similar increases. It should be blazing compared to the A5/X Chips! Funny though, I remember in 2011/12 when A5 was considered to be an extremely powerful chipset.

21. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

That will be a good upgrade, coming from an iPad 3. But not so much for folks with an Air 1. I think a lot of the rumored features in the Air 2 aren't going to be compelling enough for A1 owners to upgrade.

Retina HD Display - already on every iPad since 3
    - A8X Chip - never had a problem with the A7 on the A1
    - 8 MegaPixel Camera - how many carry the iPad vs iPhone for snapshots?
    - Touch ID - my iPad is not a travel device, though I can see this for the mini
    - Apple Pay - same as above
    - Split Screen MultiTasking - not gonna happen till iOS 9
    - Gold Option - really?
    - 2GB RAM - if the iPhone didn't get this bump, neither will the A2
    - antiglare screen - really depends if you use the iPad outside or inside more

22. TheDeviceUser thread starter macrumors 6502a

- Retina HD Display is more than just more pixels, it's better pixels and a better quality display with better colour saturation.
    - That'll be needed to power the high resolution Retina Display.
    - Why wouldn't you want that ease of use to unlock with your fingerprint on your iPad?
    - You don't need to travel to use Apple Pay. A big part is online purchases.
    - Why do you say that? Apple has been reportedly preparing this for iOS 8.
    - Some people like Gold. It's also different.
    - Why not? They use totally different chips and the leaks seem to say that we'll be getting 2GB.
    - Most would want an Anti-Glare screen. Sometimes even in the house you'll have sun shining on it.

23. ColdShadow macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

I'd say iPad 4th Gen to iPad Air was a more significant upgrade due to redesign resulting in significantly slimmer / lighter, more compact form factor.
    That fact alone makes the original Air a bigger upgrade IMO.

But yes,if you are still using an iPad 3,the iPad Air 2 will be a must have for you.
    As an iPad Air owner,I have to admit I don't find the Air 2 worth my attention at all.although the 2 GB Ram aspect of it is tempting.they should have opted for 2 GB for the original Air.

24. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

I don't understand where this whole retina hd rumor came from. Apps and photo's would look horrible on a higher resolution screen. I read magazines extensively on my iPad and if they bump the resolution it will take months for developers to update their apps. I don't think it's necessary at all. I would prefer an improved display instead of a blurred pixelated mess.

25. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Forgot AC networking as well!

And heck ya I'm excited. Can't wait to watch the keynote and I'll be at the store (hopefully Friday?) to get one.