I'm sorry to hark on about this but....

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by fluidedge, Jun 29, 2010.

1. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

I find it *quite ridiculous* that even after a whole YEAR I still have to stare at my "latest infractions received".

It expired a year ago. It serves no purpose to anyone other than to annoy me. Given that it was given to me in error doesn't help (the offender who reported me admitted they were in the wrong), but is frankly neither here nor there.

Why does MacRumors think treating it's members like children by placing them on the naughty step is in any way acceptable? I have refused to click on a single advert/affiliate link etc or take part in any offer that helps this site since I received this "infraction" - and I encourage others to do the same until this ridiculous system is removed.

Thanks.

2. McBeresford macrumors regular

McBeresford

nothing to see here.... move along, move along....

3. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You don't think just visiting the site helps it?

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You're just holding your profile wrong.

On a more serious note, I kind of thought we had addressed this issue in your other threads on the topic last year. As we now also note in our FAQ, infractions are an automated system that is part of vBulletin. They don't disappear from your profile with the passage of time because the vBulletin system doesn't have that functionality included.

The infraction notice on your profile serves as a record and reminder of your forum rules violation in hopes of discouraging future incidents. And since you still seem to be mistaken about the validity of the infraction and we do not publicly discuss details of individual moderation cases, I suggest that you contact us if you wish to receive clarification.

6. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Sorry but i still find it unbelievable that you have implemented this system and claim there is absolutely no way to remove it. What a joke.

Pathetic frankly. You could remove, you just don't want to. If this site can invent the forum spy - adding functionality to vBullitin then you're telling me that removing one line from my UserCP is impossible. Rubbish.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...test-Infractions-Received-quot-in-the-User-CP

The functionality does clearly exist by the way.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...via what amounts to little more than a hack. Can you think of any reasons why adding code manually to a forum site with 450,000 members would be a bad idea?

If you didn't want to see infractions on your profile page you shouldn't have committed them in the first place.

8. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

9. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

wow

ever heard of a script to automate tasks, sorry: 'hacks'?

it's just plain stuborness/childishness that prevents the powers that be from sorting out the mess they've created. For mods to keep spouting an out and out lie about being able to do nothing about it is a bit pathetic tbh.

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Maybe it's semantics but moderators cannot remove infractions period. We also cannot install hacks. Only the admins can do the infraction removal I think and I don't even know if the admins can install hacks.

I guess I don't see them as a big deal. I don't even look at my profile. But to each their own.

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Technically you're the one who created "the mess" (i.e. the infraction in your profile).

12. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I agree that it's kind of dumb that infractions stay on your CP forever, but this...

...actually made me laugh out loud, so I'm okay with it.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sorry but i still find it unbelievable that you have started 3 threads to rant about this topic, only to get the very same answers each time. What a joke.
    it's just plain stuborness/childishness that prevents the OP from ceasing from ranting about the infractions they've created.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I hear you. I got one for telling someone to grow up. In the poster's reply to me, he said he needed to grow up yet I get an infraction. :rolleyes:

We need more of that from you and your team. :D

15. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

well when you keep getting lied too, starting threads is the way to go. You wouldn't catch Don Bradman just letting the issue rest would you?

16. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Creating duplicate threads on the same topic is also against the rules. Would you like another infraction?

17. kolax macrumors G3

I've got two - one for having my signature too long, and another for bumping one of my threads that was inactive for a few days.

I just click the pill button to shrink them so I don't see them when I click User CP..

18. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Where do you find or see this information? I went to my User CP and nothing showing up there.

19. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

If you don't have any infractions you won't see anything in your UserCP. Of course, I could give you one if you'd like :D

20. AngryApple macrumors 6502

Oooooo. On another forum I used to go on, we had this super awesome game where once a year mods would give infractions or ban people for a day for stupid and funny reasons. Of course they were jokes but it was oh so much fun. That forum had a public banned users list, though, so everyone could read the awesomeness. I think it would be pretty cool for MR, regardless. :D

21. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

that's a bit of an exaggeration

If you read the link and what WildCowboy described they are clearly not the same.

What the link suggests is a hack rather than a standard function of vbulletin. Also your suggested hack totally removed the infraction system from view by the members which would totally negate our intended use of the system.

Yes there might be another hack that offer what you want but then ...

Hacks are something that people should be very wary about implementing, as demonstrated by your very link they are likely to break and cause issues when upgrading.

Would this solution appease you fluidedge?

22. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Nope I am good....I know I was in time-out once so I thought that might show up. But I am all good thanks! :)

23. chown33 macrumors 604

Where would it show up? Is it visible to others?

What are the consequences, or does it vary? Are there inconsequential infractions? If so, why would anyone care?

If possible, I'd like to order one inconsequential infraction, for harping on about an inconsequential aspect of the site. And I'd like a small Coke with that.

Seriously, if there are no consequences, infract me, please.

24. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

In your user profile

Only yourself and the mods

Infractions are used for relatively minor issues and are served as a reminder/warning to observe the rules. There are a number of infraction categories e.g. signature rules, trolling, insults, bumping, bypassing the profanity filter etc. i.e. Issues listed in the forum rules. The consequences of an infraction are usually just the infraction, it is after the infraction that the consequences may build up if the issues repeat.

See above. Infractions are served for a purpose.

25. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Are you threatening me?! Threats aren't allowed. I shall report you. Look forward to your infraction.

I do click the pill button, but every time i go back to my userCP it's popped open again, what super functionality.

For those who are interested i recieved by infraction for this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=7597523

see if you can spot the infraction. You'd have an easier time playing where's wally.