I'm starting to doubt that Apple eats their own dog food

Discussion in 'macOS' started by foidulus, Mar 2, 2011.

1. foidulus macrumors 6502a

I just had to use Firefox to correctly view a web page on Apple's, APPLE'S developer web site because Safari refused to load it properly.

Apple, it's REALLY sad when your own browser won't load your own website. Apple really needs to start fixing bugs, and fixing them ASAP.

2. St. G macrumors member

Safari: It's almost like not having the internet at all.

3. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Can you provide a link?

4. GekkePrutser, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2011

GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

I like Safari, especially the brilliant Developer features, like the page inspector, where you can change CSS on the fly and see what it looks like. And it is standards compliant. I never have to do anything to make my sites Safari-compatible, while the compatibility with IE6 is a major headache.. Yuck.

It's also snappier than Firefox on OS X.

5. St. G macrumors member

Do you really think that a browser from 2001 is a fair point of comparison?

Not that IE9 is without its issues. I've run into several page display problems in my tests of it. But Still. IE6?

6. Kildeer, Mar 2, 2011

Kildeer macrumors member

I know what you're saying. Anyone who's ever worked with CSS in IE6 (and sometimes 7 too) knows that it's a pain. If I ever begin developing websites again, I might just completely drop support for this crappy browser. Why should anyone be a slave to Microsofts poorly coded browser? Besides how many people use IE6 nowadays? I want to work efficiently, can't really do that with IE6 when half the time goes with tweaking for it.

He compares it because it is considered good web developing etiquette to develop for all available browsers and apparantly some people still use IE6. I don't know how many.

My personal opinion is that we can drop support for IE6 now, if anyone still uses that they really should upgrade...

7. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

8. Boston007 macrumors 6502

Boston007

Web Browsers

This page should be moved...

Expecting 1 browser to view ALL webpages is a farce. I've used them all and I can assure you Safari doesn't work well with all pages. You should be slapped for even trying IE6.

Chrome, Opera, Firefox are ALL better than Safari.

That being said, get used to having Safari + either of the 3 I listed above installed on your system.

This is why standards are a good thing. I blame Microsoft and their IE garbage they spewed years ago. Everyone and their brother went toward that garbage and we are reaping what we sowed.

oK rant off.

9. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Does the fact that Chrome already has flash, mean that it runs more efficient than if I had to install flash to have it work in safari?

For everything else, I give a vote for Chrome. Lightning fast on my 11" Air

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Browser wars. How quaint. After lunch, can we do a Windows-Mac war?

Thanks but I have a long standing rule, I don't take advice form people who use thew term 'brah'.

11. Mike84, Mar 2, 2011

Mike84 macrumors 6502a

I agree that safari is not good at all. I use Chrome.

12. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

Chrome is using the same rendering engine as Safari. Only difference is the GUI and the JavaScript parser.

Oh and the reason I mentioned IE6 is because I'm still using it(and developing for it) daily. In Corporate environments it's still very common because not all business web apps officially support anything newer.

13. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

Not quite sure what you're ranting about - if your browser can't display a webpage properly - it has to do with the website not being standards compliant. If it's not standards compliant - then it wasn't done by a skilled developer - which in turn means they were lowend/cheap - thus the site must not be that 'valuable' anyways. Any site around today should be able to be viewed and read on different browsers, mobile devices, screen readers - etc.
    C'mon.

IE garbage a few years ago? It's still being spewed.

http://people.mozilla.com/~prouget/ie9/

Everyone and their brother didn't 'go towards that garbage' - Windows had a HUGE portion of the market - and I'm pretty sure that Microsoft wasn't going to include safari on the XP install disks.

IE was on there, and it was and still 'is' the internet to most people. Most people don't understand what a browser is - let alone what the internet is. Proof of this is that people google for 'facebook login'. Proof of this is why spammers and phishers are still around - because they actually see results.

If it can run farmville it must be a good browser!!!

14. Kildeer macrumors member

As a matter of fact, Safari passes the Acid2 web standards test, whereas Firefox doesn't. IE is way off last I checked, so I'm afraid you're wrong. Safari shows a webpage exactly how you tell it to (with the CSS).

EDIT: just checked, Chrome and Firefox passes it too now. Must be because Chrome and Safari use the same engine. Don't know about IE, haven't got it.

15. iDisk, Mar 2, 2011

iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Why don't you utilize the built-in features in Safari and report bugs to Apple to help them when they release updates?? (check out the screenshot) the highlight in orange is how you report bugs to Apple Safari's team.

Besides I never have issues with safari. It just works. I especially never had issue login into my developer file.

Attached Files:

16. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I created my site in CSS. It displays EXACTLY how i see it in Dreamweaver yet ALL other browsers have slight differences. Mostly to do with font rendering and positioning.

While I agree Chrome is fast it just 'feels' very clunky and not very well thought out.

17. Kildeer macrumors member

Dreamweaver is your problem. It's sloppy software that shouldn't even be used to create sites with. A real developer writes in hand with CSS, which is what I guess you did? :) If Chrome doesn't show it right, it's your CSS that's the problem.

18. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

Dreamweaver uses tables and HTML styling - which isn't standards compliant. You're exactly right. It's not just the CSS though - it outputs tables and then defines width and styling INSIDE the HTML - which is incorrect.

HTML: Structure
    CSS: Style

19. Funkymonk, Mar 2, 2011

Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Don't know why but chrome is faster for me.

20. Boston007 macrumors 6502

Boston007

You need to check some figures.

IE has NOT been the prominent browser for quite some time.

21. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'd still love to know what page from the Apple developer's site it is that the OP doesn't think Safari can handle.

22. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I believe that it is safe to conclude that the OP is full of it.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

developer.apple.com/troll

24. DarwinOSX, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Especially if you like Google tracking you. Or don't want H.264 video. I like thats its fast and lean and mean using Apples webkit engine but its not that much faster and I find Safari does more of what I want and has better security.

We are still waiting for a link. Also you say bugs so what other bugs.

25. jljue macrumors regular

One financial institution's website (a major one that took a bail out and then merged with another institution and still kept it's name) I log into to get my financial statements doesn't open the statement in a new window properly because I still haven't figured out how to make Firefox properly handle the cgi file that comes from the link that I click on that website. I usually use Safari for them, and then I use FireFox for everything else, just because I'm so use to using Firefox from the Windows world at work and where I previously came from at home.