I'm stupid - needa vent

Discussion in 'iPad' started by snowydog, Dec 4, 2011.

1. snowydog macrumors 6502

Ok so I have my apple ID password protected when I buy content on itunes... however....the other day I was downloading a few apps and some free ebooks..

Entered the password for the first one and so didn't need to for the other ones, but I accidently hit the buy button for a book I totally didn't want - I didn't even manage to see the price - then boom, and email a few hours later and turns out the book was £9 (urgh) ..

Feel sick .... I'm so stupid! I was thinking to myself when scrolling through the most expensive apps how bad it would be if i accidently bought this £125 app!

Thankfully if was only £9 but still - £9 for something i'm not gonna read

will needa see if i can change my settings

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

No need to vent :)

You can open up iTunes, go to your account page, click "recent purchases", find the £9 purchase and press "report a problem." Then there should be an "inadvertently purchased" option and you can leave a comment.

Mind you, all sales are final. You might be able to get a one time exception to this rule and get your £9 back though. (just this time).

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If you email iTunes support they will probably refund it for you. Even though it states all sales are final, this is a common occurrence and they will make the exception.

4. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

I've used the refund process once in the past 4 years...it does work.

I would think though, that a pattern of trying to get refunds (and I'm not saying/implying anyone does this), may factor in their decision making process.

5. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I did almost the same stupid thing about a year ago. If you wait until you get your email receipt, there will be a link on it to report a problem.

Report a problem on the purchase, explain what you did and they will refund your money. They also say they don't refund for app store or iTunes purchases and this will be a one time only refund.

6. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Not sure if this is universal, but I believe what you'll receive is a store credit, not a refund.

7. gatearray macrumors 65816

8. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

This is what happened in my case as well.

9. 1969cj5 macrumors member

One time

I lost all my music recently bought, about 30 songs. I reported the problem and apple let me redownload all of them. Of course they said it was a one time consideration and encouraged me to back up going forward.

10. AdrianK macrumors 68020

The 'Purchases' section in iTunes now lets you re-download songs as many times as you want. It's only been around since iCloud's launch though.

11. snowydog thread starter macrumors 6502

12. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

At least you admit you made a mistake. I see too many people do something like this and blame everyone but them.
    I hope it works out for you, good luck!!

13. r-sky macrumors member

Yes, you can change your settings so you have to enter your password each time you purchase something. (Big pain, but saves you from doing what you just did.)

The default is for your password to remain "active" for 15 minutes, allowing you to continue to purchase items 15 minutes after you enter it. There are only two options, 15 minute window or enter password each time. To change if from the 15 minute window, you will neet to first go into Settings and click on the "Restrictions" tab. Scrolling down you'll come to an Allowed Content section and in that box the last item is a Require Password tab that you open to make the change.

(You may need to first "Enable Restrictions" in order to access the Required Password tab. This is done at the very top of the Restrictions section.)

There you have it. Hope this helps!

P.S. Hope you are also able to get your money back because of your mistake. Good Luck!