I'm surprised that the iPhone 6 4.7" is still showing 9/19

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rainking, Sep 12, 2014.

1. rainking macrumors regular

I thought for sure by now that everything would be 3-4 weeks for delivery. I know the 6+ is. Makes me wonder if they just had a really huge supply of the 6 or if not much people are ordering them and all went with the 6+.

2. westcoastcyc macrumors regular

The T-Mobile version is 7-10 business days now.

3. rainking thread starter macrumors regular

You're right. Looks like sprint is now also 7-10 business days.

4. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

Probably because everyone freaked out, made multiple orders by accident, and freaked out at the multiple orders and cancelled the orders.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I don't think it's because there's more demand for the 6+ as Apple supplied more 6.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The 6 Plus is probably last year's gold. They didn't make as many because it was essentially the riskiest product they launched. Turns out people really wanted a large screen I guess.

7. Rud3Bwoy Suspended

Rud3Bwoy

this i had ordered the 4.7 on verizon cancelled and did it through apple this morning for the 4.7 and still sept 19 so yeah everyone wants the 6 plus it seems besides me

8. rainking thread starter macrumors regular

I mean it's good news for folks that wanted the 4.7" and didn't want to mess around during the first hour of pre-orders. They could have woke up this morning or even pre-order it when they got out of work. Just surprised. I don't think I've ever seen an iPhone launch where they were still delivering on launch date.

9. Dunbar, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

Dunbar macrumors 6502a

I still think the rumors of production delays on the 5.5" is a factor here as well as pre-order crowd being more "techy" and inclined to order the 5.5" I guess we'll never know since Apple doesn't break down sales figures by model. The rumors were that Apple was gearing up to produce 80-90M IP6's this quarter.

10. itjw macrumors 65816

This

Apple has to realize by now that most of it's fanatics are NUTS. Especially the ones (like me) willing to pre-order a phone for MSRP in the dead of the night without ever even seeing it in person.

Then, throw a curveball and make it really hard AND slow to pre-order (not to mention full of errors), and do it during a launch that only happens once every 2 years (for non-S models) and you create a frothing mess of people frantically trying to order from every device in the house, and then as soon as they realize one order went through but for the wrong delivery date they want to cancel THAT and re-order again.

Multiply that times about 100,000... and, ya: mess.

I'm dissapointed in Apple. I really am. This ineptitude is alarming for a company worth more than most countries. They HAD to know people were going to go nuts. I don't even work for Apple and I knew. Everyone knew.

Apple didn't?

No way Jose....

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I think that might have been true for the Gold 5s, but churning out the iPhone 6 Plus sounds more like a supply constraint problem.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I honestly think it could be both. I am certainly not an Apple market analyst, but I didn;t expect the Plus to be as popular as it seems to be, especially when a large portion of the hardcore fans were even stating they would go with the 4.7 inch screen due to size issues.

13. 2IS Suspended

I think it's probably a bit of both. I think the demand for the 6+ while perhaps not greater than the 6, is probably higher than Apple anticipated.

14. bueller1 macrumors 6502

I couldnt agree more man. THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY.

15. doxielover macrumors 6502a

doxielover

T-mobile 64 gold 6 is still 9/19

16. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I disagree. I think it's the opposite.. Knowing the 6+ has extra feature to differentiate the 6 it was a way to drive demand for that particular model. Just imagine if everything was even between the two.. I think it would be even across the board in terms of demand. It would probably be heavy support for the 6...

17. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I think they made a buttload of 6's. There's no way the 6+ outsold the 6. Just because a lot of people on here are cooing about the 6+ with all those awesome extra features, once people see how ridiculously large they are, the masses will be getting the 6.

18. imalazeeass macrumors regular

The new iPhone is also not being launched in China as it has done so in the past which may have made quite a big difference in supply.

19. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Or they can say the 6 is just a small upgrade and want the bigger one. Point is it can go either way.

20. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

2nded

doubt it. It costs money to build the infrastructure to support that much bandwidth. Apple Store was semi-down for 2 hrs before returning to normal operations. The cost to build it up so it never went down is most likely greater then taking that 2 hr hit. Just think how much extra capacity they would have sitting idle during the rest of the year.

21. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Look at it this way: you know Apple has huge capacity on its servers, but you also know how wildly popular their products are. The demand simply overwhelmed their capacity, it happens. It should be expected. My order went through in 10 minutes. I had three devices going, and the iPad mini won.

22. Hendry macrumors member

I ordered a 64GB space grey 6 from VZW about an hour ago and my expected delivery date is 10/7.

23. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

I'm really surprised as well, I expected both models to out of stock by now