I'm thinking of buying a cheap used MacBook Pro ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Apple Master, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Apple Master macrumors member

Apple Master

Question,

I'm thinking of buying a cheap used macbook pro. What would you suggest I buy for less than $400. I think a 15" would be ideal but not sure what model possibly something in the 2010+ year range. This would just be mostly for surfing the internet no major projects on it.

I do like the older 17" models too for the large screen but I'm worried about upgrading to El Capitan because of the graphics card. I'm seeing the 17" laptops for $200.

A 13" is def too small for my taste, but all in all I'm looking for something in the 15" screen range that can update to El Capitan without all of the boot.efi headaches.

Thanks for looking.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

For $400? Go buy a chromebook.

A 2010 MBP is likely going to be more trouble than it is worth.

3. Willo34 macrumors regular

Willo34

4. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

I don't think you'll get a 15" Apple that has the retina screen at that price point unless it was stolen or has some defect.

If you're just surfing the web, why not pick up a cheap mac mini and an external monitor?

5. jerryk macrumors 68020

At that price point, Windows based machines offer much more bang for the buck.

6. Apple Master thread starter macrumors member

Apple Master

I can't take a mac mini to class.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 11, 2016 ---
    I will never buy a windows/google product. Why is it trouble?
    Plenty of MBPs around $400 on craigslist, no they aren't new with a retina display, we are talking year 2009 and up.

7. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Windows PCs almost always provide more for the same price.

Some people buy Mac PCs for specific applications (Final Cut, etc.)

A lot of people (including the OP) buy Mac PCs because they are expensive trendy items.

Anyway, my advice to the OP: buy a new Dell Inspiron.

8. Apple Master thread starter macrumors member

Apple Master

Dude, I've been using desktop macs since the PPC 9500. There is no way in hell that I would ever buy a PC. Whats up with all of the bad advice "buy a PC" BS?

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If all you will be doing is surfing the 'net and no major projects, why the need for El Capitan?
    Get a 17" (they are sweet) and run Snow Leopard (rock solid)

eff the Windows PC's
    :)

10. TechZeke, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016

TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

No reason he shouldn't be able to find a 2010-2012 13" non-retina MacBook Pro on ebay for $400.

I'd rather have that than a crappy Dell Inspiron. I should know, because I actually owned one. You couldn't pay me enough to get one of those cheap POS $400-$500 Windows laptops.

11. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

You can definitely get a 2010 15" MBP for $400! There's lots where I am for around $400.

Slap some more RAM and a SSD in it and it will fly!

12. Apple Master thread starter macrumors member

Apple Master

Well, when I show up to a meeting in Los Angeles and I'm using old snow leopard, people are going to notice. Everybody here uses Macs with El Capitan (not lame PCees) and I'm sure that my clients are using it too. Dude, gmail, calendar and a ton of other apple apps are not supported by 10.6.8. I just updated my 1,1 mac pro tower to El Cap so I want the same for my laptop.
    I certainly plan too!!! I just put a SSD in my mac pro desktop and its fast!!!

13. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Maybe it's time for a change.

So your advice is to run a super outdated OS?

Also, some high-end Windows PCs are great! The Dell XPS 13 and Dell XPS 15 are actually better than what Apple has to offer. Of cause, no way would the OP be able to buy one for ~$400 either.

I am guessing that you probably have an Inspiron with an AMD E2 processor. Those are quite terrible.

The Inspiron with an Intel Core i3 is nothing to write home, but it is okay.

The crown jewel in Dell's line is the Dell XPS 13 and Dell XPS 15, but the OP probably can't afford those any way.

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

OP wanted a super cheap option to surf the web and nothing more
    And mentioned the 17" and was concerned about the latest OS running on it
    So yeah, I suggested the 17" with Snow Leopard

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Because a used $400 Mac is most likely going to be garbage with poor battery life.
    You won't buy a google product, but you'll use their services?

16. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

2009 or 2010 macbook pro - slap 2 ssd's in raid 0 - and rock el cap - (though I prefer Yosemite)

17. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Careful with the 2010 15" models. They have potential GPU issues, similar to the 2011 15" models.

18. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Ah.. didn't know it affected 2010 models.

19. Apple Master thread starter macrumors member

Apple Master

Hmm this site is like me going to a Lamborghini forum for advice on what Lambo to buy and everybody tells you to buy a Toyota Tercel. What gives? Are all of you Mac haters or what? Let me reiterate ... I ONLY BUY MAC.
    Cool I didnt know that you could raid them but I guess two can fit in that one spot. Very nice.
    Hut hmmmmm, that will run EL CAP

20. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

And I asked if all you were going to do was surf the web why you would need El Cap
    SMH

21. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Cool I didnt know that you could raid them but I guess two can fit in that one spot. Very nice.

[/QUOTE]

1 drive in the main bay, 1 drive in the optical bay (instead of the super drive dvd)

However - El Cap does not support raid. Yosemite does.

22. T5BRICK, Aug 11, 2016

T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Ugh. The car analogies never work. A Mac is not a Lamborghini and a chromebook is not a Tercel.

You're asking about buying a "cheap" used Mac. In my opinion, it's likely going to be trouble than it is worth in the long run.

I've recently been accused of being an "Apple apologist" because I don't nitpick insignificant issues and I've called people out on it because I think it's ridiculous.

I really enjoy using Apple products. My 2015 13" rMBP is a great computer. My 2009 13" MBP was too, back in 2011.

I also know that many Macs in the $400 range have a higher potential to be problematic. You're going to be looking at older 2009 MacBooks with plastic bodies that crack and stain and MacBook Pros that are horribly underpowered. The 2010 15" MacBook Pros have GPU issues that are no longer covered under the repair extension.

I'm just saying that if I needed a $400 computer, I'd be looking at new 13-15" Chromebooks. Not a 5-6 year old Mac.

23. robvas macrumors 68020

A Mac is a BMW :)

You can get a 13" rMBP for $500-600 these days. When the new Pros come out in the fall those prices will go down even further

24. CE3, Aug 11, 2016

CE3 macrumors 6502a

I think people were just trying to give you some good advice for getting the best system within your budget. But based on your responses, appearances around the office are more important than ending up with sluggish outdated laptop. I wouldn't want anything smaller than 15" either, but if you went with a smaller display, $400-600 could get you a much better used 13" rMBP, MacBook Air, and maybe last year's 12" MacBook.

25. Apple Master thread starter macrumors member

Apple Master

Please stop responding (facepalm)