I'm thinking of buying an iPad, but...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dalek356, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Dalek356 macrumors newbie

Well, here's the problem. I was going to buy an iPad the first of next month. But I have some reservations. Well, mainly one.
    There is bound to be an update soon. I reckon Jan. 2011 (would everyone else agree?). Who out there thinks I should buy it, or just wait? I really don't know what to do...

Thanks in advance!

2. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

3. Dalek356 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was honestly thinking that, but that would be toooo much hassle.

4. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Are we really going to get threads like this every few weeks until the new comes out? Pretty much everyone's best guess is yearly upgrades like most portable products. Since the 7" rumor just got squashed there's no real reason for a special release in January. If you need it/want it now, buy it now. If you think the next upgrade will have something you need, then wait for that one. Or as others have said, buy now, sell later, buy again. It's not that difficult of a decision if you feel you actually need it or want it.

5. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

IDK why you waited so long but I say if you have enough money and have a good income.

Just go with it and enjoy the iPad and sell it on craigslist when the new one comes out.

Posting the iPad on cragslist would be a quick sell, so hardly any hassle on your part.

Sell the iPad for $100- $150 less on craigslist and it will sell fast.

6. DeuxIt macrumors member

okay, then wait till january, but more likely april to get one. that will save you six whole months of not having to buy apps for it.

but really, why are these and similar question asked every day. questions that can ONLY be answered by the asker. if YOU want use of said device between no and likely update, then rush out and buy it now. if you'd rather dream about for six months do that.

7. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

it's less of a hassle selling and re-buying than you posting whether or not to buy now...

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you really want to be conservative, wait and see. Recall, Facetime is going to come to the iPad.

9. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I'm selling mine when the new one comes out.. wanna buy it???
    It going to be a long wait for the newer version.
    Why wait for iPad 2.0 when iPad 3.0 will come out after? Just keep waiting!

FaceTime may seem like a nice feature, but think about it: you may use it the first week, then never again! Just think how many times you have been in a videoconference and compare it with how long have you own a webcam.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

There is a limit on waiting. I have been waiting for when the iPod Touch was going to get a camera. It took 3 years, but it is here now. Got one for me and mom back in Honduras. Truth be told, the best wait for me and her.

11. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Truly, I waited until June before getting mine, even when the rumor was that a new iPad was coming up in the next month.
    Don't let a rumor hold you up. Good thing Apple products tend to maintain a good resale value.

12. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

Yeah, Steve just killed my hopes for a 7" ipad so I'm guessing I may just end up buying one on Friday after all. Only thing I was holding out for was a smaller version & a front facing camera I can live without a camera. Besides I'd rather the ipad than another ipod touch.

13. Dalek356 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all of you guys for the advise!
    I've decided that I'm gonna go for it. Like someone said, I will sell it for £100 less and get an easy sell if a new iPad comes out.

Thanks!

14. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

15. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Apple stuff is always resell able I do it with my iPhones all the time. It might be a bit different, but if u sell it like a month before for like a hundred bucks off or even for what u paid someone will buy it. The general public never knows about the release of these things, or even remembers when the last one came out. So u as a geek like me have the upper hand lol

16. hed1117 macrumors newbie

hed1117

Please tell me the secret to knowing 1 month in advance of a new Apple release.

I recently purchased a MacbookPro from the Apple education store and it came with a $100 32gb iPod Touch 3G - still retailing for $300 at the time.
    My intention was to sell it - as new - just before the release of the 4G...
    BUT the 4G arrrived before I expectedhttp://forums.macrumors.com/images/smilies/confused.gif.

And then there were a million 3Gs for salehttp://forums.macrumors.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

When, exactly, did you expect it to arrive? I know it arrived pretty much when I expected -- somewhere between early September to mid-October. As you can see from the buyer's guide, the Touch has always been refreshed in September: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPod_touch

18. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Yeah about face-time. Cool concept but I'm not waiting for that on the iPad. I've used it once on my iP4 and it was pretty cool, but not anything I need to hold my breath on a second device. The main thing I most look forward to is advances in graphics capability for gaming. The Epic Citadel looks amazing on the iP4 and hope we someday get quality that surpasses that on the iPad.

Oh and good choice on the buy it now. Congrats on the decision and I hope you're happy. It really is a pretty amazing little machine.