I'm thinking of moving to Windows: Shock Horror!

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by FROFRO707, Mar 31, 2015.

1. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Macs look nicer and OS X has a better feel than Windows.

It really boils down to whether or not you agree with that. Same thing with the iPhone and iPad vs. comparable Android devices. I think it's worth paying the Apple premium, particularly for products I use daily.

2. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

The surface almost had me, but the mac was just better. It was so close, but developer support for metro was lacking and sloppiness of using the desktop on a touchscreen was apparent.

That and everything else about OS X was just done more cleanly.

3. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

What bug?

4. 0098386 Suspended

It's strange how true this is. OSX isn't perfect, it has its problems, but for basic computer use I much prefer it. I'm not happy with its default mouse control. I find both Windows and OSX improve dramatically once mouse acceleration is removed.

5. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I'm having zero problems with Win 8.1 - and I like the fact that I can absolutely minimize what's shown on the desktop. Don't really like the dock anymore - too comical. Only real issue I have is that some of my CAD shortcuts, when messed up a little, can change the keyboard language setting which is annoying, and I find no way to disable that at all.

As I don't have much problems with Yosemite on my rMBP..so yep, works both ways for me. A Mac Pro isn't justificable for me.

Heard good things about Win X so far as well, but not sure I want to upgrade right away.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The URL is https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203904 unfortunately, Apple removed the link because of how stupid it makes them look.

This is the french version of HT203904 from google cache, translated.

7. tentala macrumors newbie

If you don't need the "thin, nice, cool, light,..." (style), Windows is a choice.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually there are a number of very thin cool light laptops that don't have a fruit logo on them. Many of them have a price point that is much less then what apple charges as well.

My SP3, is thin, light and yes cool :)

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Stop going to all those P0RN sites and warz sites :rolleyes:

10. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Neither of those sites visited. :p

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Significant Other or kids at home? ;)

12. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

One thing I love about OS X is it has some amazing third party applications such as Pixelmator and iDraw. There are also many writing applications that doesn't exist for Windows.

In terms of just the OS, Windows has improved substantially and I enjoy using it, but little details keep me in OS X:

• Font rendering: Window's uses jagged thin fonts, I don't know why they don't fix this. OS X uses (or used to use) much bolder and nicer font.
    • The ability to close a background window with one click instead of having to first make it the foreground application.
    • The ability to scroll in non-active windows just by hovering your mouse over them.
    • Better guesture support (not counting touch screen which I don't want on my laptop.)
    • Better implementation of multiple spaces/desktops/apps - though Windows is making great strides here

----------

And the SP4 is supposed to build upon that right? I'm curious if they'll be able to make it any thinner, which I don't think is completely necessary. I want to try one out so bad; it looks like a very interesting device.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

MS promised not to alter the dimensions, so the existing peripherals would be compatible, so I'm not sure if they'd make it thinner as the docking station may not work too well.

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

No. All I do on this box is game, visit Steam or major game development sites.

15. poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

I run Mac OS X and Windows in a Parallels VM. I actually do my email, web, iPhoto, iTunes, stuff like Pixelmator on the Mac, and I do Visual Studio and some niche web design utils in Windows.

I thought Windows 7 was fine, Windows 8 horrid, but 8.1 and now 10 look decent. I've been a little disappointed in the bugs in Mavericks and Yosemite, and the UI changes in Yosemite. All in all though, I still find OS X to be more pleasing in total.

I also don't like how Apple is approaching the Mac-line by making it less upgradable and taking "thin" to such an extreme they actually are requiring external adapters over ports! On the other hand, every time I touch a Windows laptop and compare it to my MacBook Air, they all feel like toys.

To me OS X still has a significant advantage when it comes to security, even if the only reason is its smaller market-share and thus less targeted. And that is important to me.

I do hope Apple does a "clean-up" version with the next iteration of OS X. Mac and Windows are starting to get closer to each other again.

16. Bobby dazzler macrumors member

I can't believe you'll be missing Pages and Calendar - both have been ruined recently by Apple and are now uncomfortable and annoying to use.

I say go for it. Let us know how you get on. I've been thinking the same myself.
    "Lately, Apple doesn't seem very Apple anymore."

17. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Did you ever make a decision on this?

Personally, the Retina iMac hasn't tempted me because I think that specs are sub par for the price of that machine and I don't think the graphics are where they should be.

Now I don't think the 13" MBPs are that overpriced.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm going to hold off until the fall for a variety of reasons. Partly because I need to save up more money, partly because I want to take advantage of any Christmas sales and finally I want to see if Apple (or anyone else) goes to Skylake.

I've had a 13" MBP before and they're good computers but I'm more interested in the 15", I prefer that form factor if I was going to go to the MBP computer and at 2,000 I do think its over priced. Its hard for me to justify that sort of expense to the family.

The iMac with the 27" screen and 5k display may be easier to justify in a sense, but its still hard to actually spend over 2K for that machine.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Get what works best for you, OP.