Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingvald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2020
Hi, I just installed a Nvidia gtx765m in my 27 iMac mid 2010. After installed everything worked fine with High Sierra install. The card came preflashed so I had bootscreen and could boot from USB. So I decided to try to install Mojave with Dosdude1’s patcher..... big mistake.... the screen went black during install and now it is not possible to boot at all.

When I turn it on there is no boot chime, screen is black and it turns off after 30 sec. It is not possible to boot from usb. I have tried to reset nvram, smc....nothing.

Could the patcher somehow have messed up the graphics card? Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks

jsusa

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2020
Man, this is a scam.
You probably bought a baked GPU and now it is dead.
You can maybe bake it once more (200 deg. celsius for 8 min max and put a coin on top the gpu chip just for a little weight)) but I am not sure.
Try it, costs nothing since it is dead for you already

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Hi, I just installed a Nvidia gtx765m in my 27 iMac mid 2010. After installed everything worked fine with High Sierra install. The card came preflashed so I had bootscreen and could boot from USB. So I decided to try to install Mojave with Dosdude1’s patcher..... big mistake.... the screen went black during install and now it is not possible to boot at all.

When I turn it on there is no boot chime, screen is black and it turns off after 30 sec. It is not possible to boot from usb. I have tried to reset nvram, smc....nothing.

Could the patcher somehow have messed up the graphics card? Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks
Make a PRAM reset (or three in a row) and try if you get back the boot screen.

Of course even these old GTX 765M cards can die, but it would be a bad coincidence if this happens during a Catalina installation. Thousands of users modded their iMacs with Nvidia Kepler cards running Mojave, Catalina and now even Big Sur with full graphics acceleration.

Take a look at the first link in my signature to find more information.
The second for Big Sur on your iMac.

P.S.: And this is not a scam, these cards work fine in the Late 2009 to Mid 2011 iMacs.

kingvald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2020
Make a PRAM reset (or three in a row) and try if you get back the boot screen.

Of course even these old GTX 765M cards can die, but it would be a bad coincidence if this happens during a Catalina installation. Thousands of users modded their iMacs with Nvidia Kepler cards running Mojave, Catalina and now even Big Sur with full graphics acceleration.

Take a look at the first link in my signature to find more information.
The second for Big Sur on your iMac.

P.S.: And this is not a scam, these cards work fine in the Late 2009 to Mid 2011 iMacs.
Thanks for your reply. I managed to successfully install Mojave , forgot to uncheck the legacy video patch and a pram reset didi the trick. Mojave worked flawless but of course I wanted to try Catalina :) . Now in Catalina I have to reset pram each time the machine reboots, if not the screen stays black..... any fix for this?

Thanks

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Thanks for your reply. I managed to successfully install Mojave , forgot to uncheck the legacy video patch and a pram reset didi the trick. Mojave worked flawless but of course I wanted to try Catalina :) . Now in Catalina I have to reset pram each time the machine reboots, if not the screen stays black..... any fix for this?

Thanks
First link in my signature.

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Thanks.... just to clarify... installing the AGC kext will fix the black screen on boot?
It is what we documented there. As much as I understand your new requests. But this does not scale any longer. We have hundreds of people doing this mod and only one to answer the questions. Please start to trust in your own abilities and read and try!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.