iMac 2013 Model and the strange mouse!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ryan101, Jul 4, 2013.

1. ryan101 macrumors member

I moved to Macs about a year ago. Now I have iPhone, iPad, iPad Mini, MacBook Air and and an iMac. You would think by that list I went Mac crazy. Actually I did not intentionally or plan the purchases they just happened. I did have the iPhone and the iPad from before. I know most people won't believe me. However, as I do IT related online work, they are useful to me.

Anyway the point of this thread is about my iMac, which I think I have had about 6 weeks or 2 months. I still can't fully get used to this Magic Mouse. Every now and then it would just go into Mission Control without me doing much. It happens nearly always when I am moving the mouse. I assumed maybe I am touching the mouse with two fingers so the gesture kicks in. But I am sure I am not!

The even more annoying thing is that, I would be filling in an online form or doing something, and I would move the mouse and it would just go back to the previous page, so I lose all the work or data I just entered, which is extremely frustrating.

Lastly, the battery gets drained in the mouse very fast. It's shocking how quickly the battery goes flat. I have read other threats about the mouse battery online. I know use rechargeable batteries and change my batteries every 2 days which seems ridiculous. I am on my iMac probably 10-12 hours a day. I had a rechargeable Logitec Mouse before that use last I think week or so without a charge. This Mouse issue seems to be quite bad with the battery. Has anyone else have a similar issue.

Otherwise I do love the iMac. I have never had one before, but I do read on the forums that the speakers are supposed to be worse then the ones in the older models.

2. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

I haven't used an Apple mouse since the '90's. Buy a mouse that you like and everything will be fine.

3. danielekan macrumors newbie

Eventually you'll get used to it, I did.
    When I bought a macbook pro though, I loved the trackpad. So I got one for the iMac and seldom use a mouse anymore.

4. Bear macrumors G3

For some things the Magic Mouse is great, for others, you want a regular mouse. I tends towards using a regular muse most of the time, unless the Magic Mouse will speed up what I'm doing.

Oh and you have a late 2012 iMac - there is no such thing as a 2013 iMac yet.

5. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

Personally, I can't get on with the magic mouse at all. I've given up with the thing.

6. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

Go into system preferences and turn off some of the gestures and allowing the corners that take you into mission cntr. Then experiment to see which you want if any. I like being able to change pages and programs with one or two fingers, some don't.

7. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

System Preferences will be your friend for the mouse. Turning some of the gestures off made a big improvement in using the Magic Mouse. Also the Mobee Magic Charger for Apple Magic Mouse ($39.95) will take care of any battery issues you will have. I have become accustomed to using the Magic Mouse and have not looked at using anything else. But I will also say that it is not for everyone.

8. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

I don't know why Apple don't offer a standard Bluetooth mouse. As it stands you have the choice of a wired mouse or the magic mouse, neither of which I find acceptable, so I am forced to buy 3rd party. Lost sale for Apple, when really I'd rather buy an Apple one.

9. KaraH macrumors 6502

10. Bear macrumors G3

Nope. Thay have a late 2012 model.

Apple has never sold a "standard" mouse. So I buy 3rd party mice as needed. And at this point for keyboards, I'll be sticking to mechanical keyboards.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

12. WilliamG macrumors 604

Agreed. I absolutely can't stand the magic mouse. One of the worst mice I've ever used. Doesn't have a shred of ergonomics to it. Get any other mouse and you'll be much happier.

13. Bear macrumors G3

Do you remember the Apple Mighty Mouse? That is way worse than the Magic Mouse. I think it's just called the "Apple Mouse" now.

I think with my next Mac, I'll get a trackpad instead of a mouse with a CTO order so I can play with the trackpad.

14. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

The Magic Mouse is probably the best mouse Apple has made to date, however I use a Logitech G400 for a reason.

15. ryan101 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you to all with the replies.

It's strange when you don't think of the obvious, until someone points it out to you. I suppose that's the great things about these forums. I am going to play with System Preferences and take some of the gestures off. Although some of it is nice in theory, it's not always practical if you are not careful with the Magic Mouse.

Regarding the charging issue, the Mobee Magic Charger sound like a very good idea based on a quick skim read. I need to read more on how it works.

Thanks all.

16. Swordylove macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

I'm glad I managed to get used to the Magic Mouse, because it's pretty :p

At first time of using it, I found it very unergonomic to use. But now, I don't find any less ergonomic than other regular fat mice. Thank God.

Yeah the page swipe gesture is very annoying. I don't know why I haven't turned it off. Turning it off now. :D

About the batteries, I use Eneloops as suggested in this forum some time a go. They're great and I never found them to drain too quickly. The included non-rechargeable Energizer batteries are very good as well. The ones in my keyboard haven't been replaced since I bought my iMac (late 2012).

17. palantas macrumors newbie

palantas

I have different macs and I have used them since 2005. I also used the Apple 'mice' in the beginning, however after 6 months or so I simply gave up. They are CRAP! Today I use the Apple Trackpad for my multimedia center (Mac mini) in the living room and I use a wireless 'PC' mouse for all other purposes (Imac, Macbook ...). Unless Apple decides to just make a mouse do what it's supposed to, I will stay happily with my 'PC' mouse.

18. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

Go buy a Logitech mouse and live happily ever after. Can't stand the MagicMouse

19. asdfierie macrumors newbie

Swiping to go back/forward is my favorite thing about the Magic Mouse. The only thing I miss from the old "Mighty Mouse" is being able to pinch the side buttons to see all your windows. I also like that there's no scroll ball that needs to be cleaned. Rechargeable batteries last me around two weeks.

20. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

I do not understand how anyone can use the Magic Mouse when Logitech produces WAY better mice at half the cost...not to mention ridiculously nice mouses at the same cost.

21. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

The Magic Mouse might be the poorest design that Apple still sells. It tries to be a swiss army knife, but ends up being a spork.

I have a magic trackpad on the right (for most common use / navigation / gestures), and a razer taipan on the left for serious mouse usage / gaming. Using the magic trackpad is as intuitive as using a touchscreen, without the whole arms dangling over the desk problem.

22. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

The Magic Mouse froze my hand into a claw by the end of the day, it is that ergonomically challenged. I use a Logitech USB mouse that is stellar. Just my humble opinion though.

23. Chippy99, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013

Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

And that's good???

I bought my Logitech mouse in June 2010 and use it every day for maybe 8 to 10 hours and I haven't changed the (non-rechargable) AA batteries yet.

Maybe I remember it wrong. I might have put a new battery in once. I don't think so, but it's so long ago I can't remember. It has been 3 years.

But 2 weeks??? That's pathetic.

EDIT: I must have changed the batteries and forgotten about it. The Logitech software says they are 90% full and have 2 years, 36 weeks and 6 days remaining. Sounds about right.

24. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Ahh the Mighty Mouse! The "ball" broke within the first couple days of the two I owned. Somehow I put up with only being able to scroll down for years.

25. old-wiz macrumors G3

I stick with Logitech. Never could get the Magic Mouse to work comfortably for me.