iMac 2013

Discussion in 'iMac' started by richest, Sep 12, 2012.

1. richest macrumors regular

2. AlphaMF macrumors regular

Im going to take my queue from some others on this forum and their baseless stances on the 2012 iMac and state the following:

There will NOT be a 2013 iMac trolololololool :D

For each day that passes without a 2013 iMac it proves more and more that there will NOT be a 2013 iMac. There are ABSOLUTELY NO evidence suggesting that there ever WERE or ever WILL be a 2013 iMac. Might as well just not discuss it now. Hey how about the 2013 HP :p

3. richest thread starter macrumors regular

OH YES THERE WILL :D

Dirty Harry will be along to tell us soon;)

4. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Yeah and according to him you better just skip the 2012 model, as it's no good.

5. richest thread starter macrumors regular

6. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

Dirtyharry : "No, there won't be a 2013 iMac ... there are no signs of an iMac in 2013, it's gonna be in 2014, so my 2011 will last two more whole years !!!"

----------

:d :d :d :d

7. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Took this thread absolutely no time to jump off the deep end, did it? :)

Expect a 2013 iMac no earlier than WWDC, and probably later than then. Last year when Intel was saying Ivy in January, they meant April. Now they're saying April for Haswell, so June/July is where it's at. There should be at least one Retina model. The top end will probably include an Nvidia GTX 780M, which we can't even speculate on performance gains at the moment - though I expect them to be modest in relation to the jump from 580M->680M.

The wild card would be some kind of event in China that somehow prevents the 2012 iMac from launching in 2012. We're in the 0.1% range here. In that event, they'd probably launch it in February and hold back the 2013 until October-ish.

8. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

Actually Haswells won't have such a huge improvement over Sandy or Ivy Bridge, look here: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012...ll-fit-in-everything-from-tablets-to-servers/

There should be major increase in GPU department and some support for new standards but it won't be such a dramatic increase like it was from Core2Duo's/Arrandale's to Sandy Bridge.

Currently there's more focus on energy efficiency and more cores but you should see around 10-20 percent increase from Ivy Bridge, making it 30 percent faster than Sandy Bridge (if my calculations are correct).

Definitely GPU is where it's at, not as much as CPU. So those waiting for Haswell iMacs are in for long wait with not-so-much to gain but again, there'll be that whole retina thing which will make it interesting, along with wi-fi AC, optical for Thunderbolt and more goodies.

I'm not so hyped over Haswells just as I'm not overly impressed on Ivy Bridge. If you compare C2D to newer Sandy Bridge - that was a leap, but not this.

9. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

10. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

I mean Haswell will be a huge leap forward for 13" MBP (if they're still around), Mac mini's and MBA's.

Don't see a point being excited over it if you're an iMac person.

11. deconstruct60, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

deconstruct60 macrumors 604

It may be even later than that. Haswell is highly optimized to be better in mobile contexts ( much better power management). In the past, Intel released the desktop variant first (and higher TDP mobile variants). Then the more mobile variants later. There is at least even chance they will shift so that mobiles come out first and the desktops are later in the schedule. Therefore, if the whole Haswell release slides backwards then desktops being toward the tail end could slip into July or later (based on same set of
    delays from this year).

Note what someone at Intel said yesterday at IDF

"12:45PM - Haswell is mobile focused first, eventually into desktop/workstation and server "
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6260/intel-developer-forum-2012-dadi-perlmutter-keynote-live-blog

Given laptops are an increasingly bigger sector than desktops, it would be more aligned if Intel launches new families first on laptop and then move to desktop and then only much later workstation/server models.

Much of the initial "deep dive" into Haswell was spent on the integrated graphics and power management

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6263/intel-haswell-architecture-disclosure-live-blog

The GT3 integrated graphics option is primarily targeted at the mobile variants. The desktop options are largely capped at GT2 since those folks will more likely supplement with PCI-e graphics cards. There is useful desktop stuff there (new, faster L1 & L2 caches, AVX2 , better Turbo management , transactional memory access , etc. ), but not getting eaten alive by ARM tablets is the greater long term threat.

If the reports about the iMac delay being pinned on the 27" lamination process being a problem I wouldn't count on Retina any time soon. A display that can put 4K UHDTV ( at 3840 x 2160) on the screen perhaps but "doubling" just for doubling sake seems like more of a gimmick than useful. Unless folks are trying to push their iMac to the other side of the desk it is pretty close now.

China? Any silly country that blows up the world economy could put a delay on the Haswell launch. It doesn't have to be China. If Congress manages to blow up the USA's credit rating this Winter, it could very well be the USA that does it. Some other EU country threatens to blow up the EU. Iranians stirring the rancor pot in their region. etc. etc. It isn't just China.

12. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Funny talk about Haswell with picture of Ivy Bridge. Seems like site could not copy enough from western media.

13. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I was thinking specifically about what could cause Apple to delay the 2012 iMac that's already in production to early 2013, not what could delay Intel's plans on Haswell.

14. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

A rather dubious read of the article.

AVX2 is a substantive increase.

As the primarily highlighted comment on the article mentions the article totally whiffs at the transactional memory part. That should have a much larger impact on servers than on mobile parts. (which is probably why the article author skipped over and dismissed it. No real understanding of the impact ).

Are there "world shattering changes"? No. But given the choice between a Haswell and a Sandy Bridge next year .... their will be a clear difference for a large variety of workloads. It will be a slightly smaller set of workloads between Ivy Bridge and Haswell ( primarily in area of where can leverage AVX2 )

In the mobile space there is that kind of jump. If fact in how power is consumed and what kind of horsepower can fit into a limited size package it is there.

Likewise, outside the desktop space the core count isn't capped at 4. High core count Haswell will clearly dominate the Sandy Bridge line up. SB topped out at 6 cores and Haswell might even start out at 6 cores and go up from there.

The design of these CPUs is not solely Geekbench benchmark driven. There is more than just how many integer and single precision ops can get through a core that is in play here.

15. mrmarts macrumors 65816

My question is will it have a retina display? and if so will we see resolutions near 4k!

16. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

That doesn't make much sense. There has already been a delay in the 2012 production. Any further delay in 2012 is most likely a continuance of that delay.

If the 2012 iMac is in production then it will ship. Apple isn't going to make 10's of thousands of iMacs and hold them all in a warehouse for over a Quarter. Not going to happen. Apple doesn't do huge bulky inventories.
    If they can't sell them then won't make them. Not making them places them in non-production.

A 0.1% is rather high. It is probably lower than that occurrence of not being able to uncork the problem that they have been trying to solve with the screens for another 3 months.

As for Feb->Oct for a Haswelll transition. Not very likely since Haswell means a board change since there is a socket change. Much more likely the iMac will be on about a 10-12 month product cycle. If Apple slid to 2013 that wold slide out the next iteration to the next year also.

Just dumping the screen and placing the Ivy Bridge board into the current iMac body would be quicker than waiting till Feb to ship. If the screen or some other component is jacked up just get rid of it.

17. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Right. We're talking major disasters, like an earthquake in Chennai, that would prevent the 2012 iMac from shipping.

18. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

That would impact far more than just the iMac. :)
    Personally, I don't understand why Apple trends to this single factory to fulfill global sales approach. Sooner or later that is going to bite them in the butt in a major way. It isn't going to kill the company with the cash reserves they have, but it will definitely dispel the perception bubble they now enjoy.

19. signatus macrumors member

signatus

I'm starting to get tired of waiting for new iMacs. I can only wait until mid October, so I'd accept any suggestions whether I should wait a little bit longer or just go for a MBP.

20. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Mid October is the realistic target, and has been for some time.

21. iHailCarlo macrumors 6502

For everyone that is clamoring for a new iMac, what is it you think this new one will do for that the current one can't, even more so the iMacs from the last 3 to 4 years? I would like to know what about the current iMac cant satiate your current desire for power?

22. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

I imagine the experience of writing letters or sending emails won't be much different, but for more powerful applications it's more about the future than the now. Think, if the iMac comes out next month, mere weeks may separate two machine that may differ by a number of years in how long they will last for a specific user. Sure, even years from now writing letters and sending emails won't make a difference. But if an upgrade is around the corner, isn't it nice to know it will handle future software and tasks better than the current one does?

23. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

Contain current components at a current price.

24. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

Also consider the timing and price changes for the current models. If a new iMac is around the corner, it will likely enter with a price similar to what the current iMac had at launch. The current iMac will immediately decrease in value. You don't seem to think it's worth getting more for the exact same price, but consider it the other way round. If the current iMac is more than enough, what about the thought that it might be considerably cheaper next month. Not everyone is rich.

25. enytuand macrumors newbie

Can we please just get the 2012 iMac before talking about 2013:D