iMac 21.5" issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JayQC, Dec 21, 2009.

1. JayQC macrumors member

I've already made a thread a week ago asking about specific issues for a specific model, but I'll make this one more obvious with the title and its scope larger.

It seems like the majority of issues we can read about are related to the 27", with only some people mentioning having problems with the smaller model.

The idea is if you have any problem with the 21.5" and only the 21.5", regardless of the graphics card, manifest yourself in this thread so we can see how this model is affected compared to the 27" ! Yellow tinge, flickering, noisy screen or HD, you name it..

2. Tenshi macrumors newbie

I just have the yellow tinge - very subtle I may add. Otherwise this computer runs like a dream.

3. JayQC thread starter macrumors member

This thread has only been visited 49 times so far, but is it already safe to assume that the 21.5" iMacs are much less affected or is everyone here buying a 27" ?

4. dagored macrumors 65816

I also have a slight yellow tinge in the lower right corner of my 21 inch iMac. Arrived yesterday. Should I do the rom upgrade. I have the ATI Radeon HD 4670 ?

5. VPofIT macrumors newbie

VPofIT

The only problem I have had so far is the Hitachi hard drive in my 21.5" imac died Saturday without any warning signs. I purchased on Nov. 9th so I took it to the genius bar and told them it was a Christmas present and they switched it out for a new one no questions asked.

This system has a Seagate hd and so far so good. Neither system appeared to have any yellow at the bottom or screen flickering.

6. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

it took me three attempts to find a 21.5 that had only a minor, if any, touch of yellow in one corner. It's quiet and fast and I love it. Overall,t he LED screen is amazingly sharp and bright. I love it. But you must have a wee bit of patience to buy one this week. Wait a month.

7. JayQC thread starter macrumors member

It seems the educational store where I want to buy it (physical place, not the online store) sells the base model of the iMac but barely sells the model with the Radeon 4670, I should be good to buy it anytime without having to wait :)

It's encouraging to not hear a lot about the 21.5" having issues!

8. Jedi macrumors regular

Jedi

So I guess it is not safe to buy the ATI - iMac 21.5" yet.

Scott ,

Having gone through 2 and now a 3rd , that is something that Apple should be looking into __IMO !

I would love to go out right now and buy one !!

However , the "better angels of my mind" are telling me to wait , but you say about a month ?

Sounds about right given the holidays and all.

But gee , it seems to me that Apple should have got it right the first time.

Or did they have these things setting in a warehouse somewhere for 4~5 months until they released them ?

Anyway here is the one I want ( with the numeric keyboard ) >

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC413LL/A?mco=MTM3NDc2NDE

I don`t know if I will ever get one , but I would like to.

Apple should really get there crap together , bugs ... how many times have we had to listen about buggy Apples !!

Anyway ,

Happy Holidays to ALL !! :D

Take care ,

Gary 

9. mikaronni macrumors newbie

My week 46 iMac only had a yellow tint problem that progressively got worse. Other than that, everything was perfect.

It's in repair right now, so hopefully the new screen will be flawless.

10. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Week 49 iMac (21.1" 3.33GHz): slight yellow tinge at the bottom half of the screen.

I am waiting to a replacement iMac (FedEx is experiencing delivery problems this week). If the replacement has problems, I will ask for a refund and wait until Apple solves the malfunctions.

11. JayQC thread starter macrumors member

Well I finally ordered my iMac today, hopefully it will be at least a week 52 and free of problems !

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I feel there are more 21.5s out there with yellow only most folks dont see it or arent aware etc. Here at Rumors there are a lot of graphics people and they use the bigger display hence more 27s being looked at very close vs the 21.5. Other then that this thing has been awesome but when you spend $1500 on a computer you want it to be perfect.

13. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

My 21.5 inch iMac has been good to me so far. It has no yellow tint or flickering. My only problem is my 500gb hitachi drive it gets very loud and annoying

14. dagored macrumors 65816

Take it back. The newer models have WD. I have a 1TB 21.5 and my wife has the 500 gig. Both WD and quiet. You can here a pin drop.

We both have a slight discoloration in the lower right corner only. Keeping for now but thats why they have Applecare.

15. Malivar macrumors member

I have the 21.5" iMac and.. The only thing that was 'wrong' with it was that it sat at the white boot screen for a long time. That was solved by reinstalling SL, though.

-No yellow tinge
    -No HD noise

16. 929406 macrumors regular

no issues

have had mine since the 24th and no issues what so ever like every other mac i've had. the screen is great and hd isn't loud, no noticeable fan noise. Have it hooked up to a 23" ACD and the new screen is sharper with more contrast

17. harleygold macrumors regular

harleygold

you have a pic with your setup?

18. tigereat macrumors regular

Are you going to return it? I have a very slight yellow tint in the lower screen (not just the corner like yours). But that is the only problem I have so far.

I don't know if I should return it since I just got it a week ago. However, If didnt test it, I woudnot have noticed the yellow tint issue. It is noticable when I open the whole white blank screen.

I heard someone said if I keep it, it will be getting worse and worse (more yellow) Is it true?

PS. I'm not sure if I should take some screen shots showing my yellow tint issue and see what you guys think if it

19. thestumper macrumors newbie

My "third" 21.5 is hanging in there. My first was a refurb and had a significant yellow tint. The replacement screen was considerably worse. The current iMac has some yellow, but it is better than the first two attempts. Everything else is tight (works well) and it is whisper quiet. Will be calling support on Monday just to have a record of the fact that this one isn't perfect either, but I'll likely be keeping it until Apple figures out the screen thing.

20. tigereat macrumors regular

I have another question. I'm worried that if I return my 21.5 inch right now,the replacement will have the same issue or even more issues. I only have the yellow tint problem. no other issues.

My question is that If i keep it until all issues has been solved, can i return it to get the replacement at the moment? or only within 14 days policy?

Thanks

21. tigereat macrumors regular

I got the same model as you. How can i get a replacment from Apple? just call them? Do you need to return the problematic one before getting the replacement?

Moreover, 3.33GHz model is a CTO model, So How can you get the refund? I thought BTO or CTO cannot be returned.

THanks

22. tigereat macrumors regular

I would like to know if my HD on my 21.5 (1TB) is from Hitashi or WD. How can i check it ? I went to System perference and it didn't tell me the name of the company but Model number and Serial Number only

THanks

23. JayQC thread starter macrumors member

I would think customized orders are returnable if they have a defect, otherwise i'm in the same boat, having just ordered mine !

24. tigereat macrumors regular

it can be returned to get the new one but not for the refund. That's what I heard. Not sure if they have changed the rule

25. Dino1956 macrumors member

Opened my 21.5" iMac Yesterday, Christmas Day. I had read this & other Posts about the issue weeks ago, so of course I used the Test & Yes, mine has Yellow Tint, Bottom Left part of Screen. I probably would have never noticed, had I not done the test. It's that slight. No flickering. No Screen Noise. BTW, mine was made week 45 & has the NVidea Graphics Card. But I have to tell you, this is the best Computer I have ever used. Fast, Stable, Quiet, & Beautiful. I started to think about going through the entire hassle of exchanging it, but I decided I'm keeping it. I hear there are a lot of horror stories & from what I read, I think the newer bunch have the same & other issues. Yes , I'm disappointed that Apple did not notice this from the Get Go. But I love this thing & cannot part with it. :) The only thing I can hope, that over time, The slight Yellow Tint, does not become a severe & noticeable Yellow Tint. I welcome opinions & knowledge from others.