imac 233mhz as an external screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PimpMaster, Apr 9, 2007.

1. PimpMaster macrumors newbie

In first place I am very happy to join to this family!
    I own a powerbook g4(1ghz),imac g3 clamshell (orange),an imac g3 233mhz,and a new mac pro 2.66, and I will continue collecting them!Just love macs!

I am posting because my imac 233mhz does not work(logic board failiure), however I would like to use it if possible as an external screen, just to keep it!
    Can you help me solving this?Is it possible?
    It wold be "cool" using it with my powerbook!

Thank you

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Just looked at the developers note and according to it, there actually is an internal DB-15 connecter! So, if you remove the bottom, you should see the DB-15 cable plugged into the logic board assy. If you have an extension cable, you should be able to plug it into your PowerBook (with the right adapter).

I found some take-apart info here: http://www.macworld.com/2001/10/bc/howtoimac/. It should be the tray-load instructions.

I haven't read about anyone actually doing this, so I'll be interested to see if this works.

All this is dependent on working power supplies (especially the high-voltage) and monitor electronics.

*** Use caution when working in or around a CRT monitor ***
    (removing just the bottom of the iMac shouldn't expose the tube or high voltage, but it's good to keep in mind anyway)

3. PimpMaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello, thanks for having some one to help me!I am a student of product design, I live in a town near Lisbon called Setubal but during the week I am at Lisbon,and my imac g3 is at Setubal,so I have to wait for the weekend to work on the MAC.
    So I will keep on touch when I have more news!
    Thank you for your time!

4. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

That's a nice question, I wonder if in a couple of years I'll be able to use my 24" iMac as a display and buy a Mac Pro :) (very unlikely though)

BTW, first Portuguese I find on Mac Rumors beside myself!

Welcome! / Bemvindo!

:D

5. PimpMaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice to have a friend from the same country!
    I've been searchig on the internet, and I found out that I need to have a "DB-15" female connector to vga male connector to proceed to this operation.
    So, I need to connect the DB-15(m)from the imac g3 to the DB-15(f),that converts to vga(m), then I use "the classic" dvi/vga connector from apple to connect my "powerbook" or other computer using a dvi output.
    Resuming, it will be needed two converters!
    -one "DB-15" female connector to "vga" male connector
    -one dvi/vga to connect in this case to a powerbook machine

I will buy this equipment to try it, and then I will post the results!
    However, I am worried about the power-up for the "CRT"....I don't know if it starts without starting up the disk,but if it woks I only have to worry about the fans noise! :)

Sorry about my description, I know it's a bit confusing!

Best regards,and "obrigado pelas boas vindas"!

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The cable sounds right - M-F DB-15, to extend, then connect to DVI-VGA (DB-15) on Mac.

There isn't a fan on the 233 iMac, from what I remember. As for hard drive noise, you should be able to just disconnect the power cable going to it (should be std 4-pin).

Sounds like a fun project - hope it works for you.

edit: Your Powerbook should have shipped with the DVI-VGA adapter.

7. PimpMaster thread starter macrumors newbie

8. PimpMaster thread starter macrumors newbie

There is a fan at the top of the ram and processor module in this 233mhz imac, I don't know the models above,but this one as a fan, but I dont care about if there is some kind of noise....
    Thank's for the power supply location!I have the dvi/vga!I just don't have yet the db15 connector

I don't know if it will work but I think if it works, this conversation will be a good tutorial to turn an old imac into an external monitor

Thanks for the feed back guys!

9. PimpMaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello!I have good and bad news!
    My mac is running again!Just changed the bad ram....The other one wasn't working, so I will use a program called Screen recycler to use my old Imac G3 as an external display.
    I will not continue this project because the cables I need will bee to expensive.
    So I will wait for my Imacs' official death to continue this project!
    Thank you all for your help but I cannot continue,I have 3 other macs to feed!I cannot spend more money on the Imac,my mac pro would be jealous!:)