iMac 24" Spitting out Snow Leopard CD!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CutsAu, Aug 28, 2009.

1. CutsAu macrumors member

Hi guys,

I have just purchased Snow Leopard, unwrapped it and inserted it into my 24" iMac 2.4ghz. About 30 seconds after inserting it, it gets ejected. It won't stay in. I put it in my WHITE Macbook and it accepts it.

Any idea guys ?

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Bad disc? Bad optical drive? I don't know. Do you have a FireWire cable laying around?

3. CutsAu thread starter macrumors member

Well the disc works fine on my Macbook and the CD drive in my mac has NEVER had a problem before.

Yes, I do have a firewire cable laying around. What are my options with that ?

4. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

happened to me one time with panther and an older imac

insert the disc into your macbook, put the macbook in target disc mode, plug the two comps together with the firewire, and restart your imac (holding alt when it turns on).

5. CutsAu thread starter macrumors member

OK. I will try that then. Hopefully it works. I really don't know why I would be having this problem. I have googled the problem and no one else seems to be having this drama

6. rIver89 macrumors newbie

hey i have the same problem, called up apple care. they said it was defected, and discs from the same press were likely to be defected too. for me, im returning it for refund, and waiting for the 10.6.1 version of upgrade IF i can (it was a sign!)

7. CutsAu thread starter macrumors member

I really don't believe the CD is defected ??? I am in Australia, so I doubt we have the same " BATCH "

8. rIver89 macrumors newbie

the tech on the phone had me boot from disk, and also tested the restore disks that came with my macbook, they worked fine. my drive is fine, the tech said the disk had to be defected. yeah really annoying

9. CutsAu thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, that sux. I will try the FIREWIRE install and see how I go. I should not have any problems I would not think.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if it works on one computer, the disk cant be defective

11. CutsAu thread starter macrumors member

Thats my way of thinking as well.

12. Yoursh macrumors 6502

More than likely it is the optical drive in the iMac. Had similar issue when the drive was going out on my Macbook. Attempted to reinstall OS after having alot of read errors from discs. Drive would spin up, but spit out OS disc after 30 sec. or so. Finally read the disc once, but failed to read it during restart.

I would also try the target disc mode others are recommending. Another thing you can do is fire up the Console application on the iMac and watch it while you throw the SL disc in. It should show what the iMac is doing while the disc attempts to mount.

13. CutsAu thread starter macrumors member

Hmm new problem.

When using the TARGET DISC mode, it tells me I can't install from this volume.

Hmmmmm

BTW, CONSOLE is not showing anything when the disc is loading. Nothing comes up and the disc ejects!

14. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

explain how you are doing target disc mode so i can see if your doing it the same way i did it

15. CutsAu thread starter macrumors member

Insert DISC in MACBOOK

Goto Startup Disc

Click TARGET MODE

Macbook restarts

iMac loads the images on the desktop and the SL install window loads.

Click install

Then Error message comes up.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if that doesnt work, image the disck to a usb drive and then option start the imac

does your optical drive work on other disks? it may just be picky. for instance my mb will not read dl dvds i burn (has the capability mind you) yet my desktop can easily. different drives, different disks and different personalities

17. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

next time, put your macbook in target disc mode (with the cd). turn off your imac, turn it on and hold alt. a list of bootable discs should appear, but it takes about 15-20 seconds for the target disc to showup. choose the target disc when it appears.

18. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Did you buy the family pack?

19. CutsAu thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it works with other DL DVDs No problem burning DL or reading them.

20. CutsAu thread starter macrumors member

Its now installed. Thanks guys for all your help, really appreciate it!!!

21. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

this happened to me earlier tonight installing snow leopard. i have a 20" alu imac and 10.5.8 beforehand. the installation process would get to 45% or so then the computer would restart, but doesn't complete the installation. instead, it spits out the disk and i am on my log in screen saying os x 10.5.8 still. i tried this 3 times and the 3rd time it worked. what i did was unplug every peripheral i had connected to the machine, including my bamboo fun pen tablet and plugged only the wired keyboard and mouse. this seemed to have did the trick. i have no idea why though. so, if anyone is having the same problem, try unplugging all your peripherals except for keyboard and mouse first. it beats trying to erase and install that's for sure, which would have been my 4th and last attempt if i had failed that 3rd time.

22. CutsAu thread starter macrumors member

Thats actually a really good idea.

I will keep this in mind for when it happens again, and Im sure it will.

23. Lordedmond macrumors regular

Apple do recommend that all peripherals are unplugged except Keyboard and mouse

24. CutsAu thread starter macrumors member

25. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

how did you go about installing it?