iMac 27" 2009 Hard Drive Replacement Cost?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hazza42, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Hazza42 macrumors newbie

First post here on MacRumors, I'll get right to it
    My iMac recently had a hard drive failure and I've already taken it to be repaired, what I want to know is wether the price the 3rd party repair company charged was fair. It just seemed a bit much to me.
    I was charged £275 for the repair and after a quick browse of the forums here I've seen people upgrading to a 2 TB hard drive (I have a 1 TB) at the Apple Store for nearly half that price!
    Is there anyone else here who was charged that much for a hard drive repair for the 2009 27" iMac?
    Should I confront my repair guy and ask why he is charging so much? 1TB hard drives only cost £60-£70 these days so is he charging £200 for installation!? I know it's a bit tricky to install new hard drives on the 27" iMac but nothing I couldn't accomplish with a helpful YouTube video and iFixits repair kit...
    Thoughts?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, the price of the physical device is much less than the repair. However, you have to take into account the labor of doing said repair and time spent on doing it. Replacing an iMac HDD is no easy task due to how many components you have to remove to get to it. Including screen.

3. RedCroissant Suspended

Well, I'm not in the UK, but I replaced my HDD in my 2009 20" iMac with a 3TB Seagate that cost $179(£114.82). They(Best Buy Geek Squad) replaced the HDD for me for $50(£32). I bought a docking station $50(£32) for my now bare 320GB HDD and did the cloning of the OS myself. So the total cost to me for the equipment that I get to keep and the service was $279(£179).