iMac 27" late 2013 dead pixels

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CrAzYLiFe, Jan 26, 2014.

1. CrAzYLiFe, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014

CrAzYLiFe macrumors member

My imac has developed some dead pixels just out of the blue, I've had it for a couple months, done a restart today and noticed some dead pixels that were never there, things like this annoiy me so I would have noticed if it came like it they are really in your face also about 2mm

It literally booted up and bam 3 dead pixels or clusters 2 bottom right and 1 bottom left, any one else had similar issue? Ring apple??

Attached Files:

2. CrAzYLiFe thread starter macrumors member

Here's a pic of the left one

Attached Files:

3. Bear macrumors G3

Since I know someone else on the forum made this mistake, have you tried cleaning your screen first.

Contact Apple. The worst they can say is that there aren't enough dead pixels to replace the screen.

4. CrAzYLiFe thread starter macrumors member

Haha yeah I've cleaned it, screen was fine one minute then I restart to go into bootcamp to launch windows and they where there,

It's weird they almost look like shadows from the screen, but there's nothing between the glass and screen (should be sealed anyway?) apple referred me to some apple stores or onsite but it's a public holiday today, I'll take it into a store this week or see if they could do onsite, but I'm on a military base so might make onsite hard

Pain in the arse to lug this 27' around haha

5. andycho7 macrumors member

Take it to the Apple Store with the Genius appointment. I've had somewhat similar issue with my current Mid-2011 27 inch iMac and fortunately, I had the extended AppleCare to cover the cost(which btw was around $650).

My exact issue was that I had 2 dust looking things under the glass and one spot on the monitor(probably around 0.5mm in diameter) that looks like a gray-ish dot. I don't know their policy on screen replacements but I did hear some things about how you have to have certain numbers of dead pixels or something... well in my case I only had 1 spot that is "dead" if you call it. They just went ahead and changed the display for me.

Seriously, it's worth a try.

6. CrAzYLiFe thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, where I live we just have apple certified repairers, doubt it will be genius appointment, apple gave me a reference number to give them.

There is 3 and of decent size to annoy me :/ and since they came out of the blue whats to say more won't appear

7. andycho7 macrumors member

Hmm, yeah those Apple retailers could get bit fussy about the repairs. Is the nearest Apple Store too far away from you? I mean, if those retailers say it doesn't qualify as a repair or something.. you might want to make a long trip over to Apple Store(if there is one).

Btw, where do you live?(if you don't mind me asking)

8. CrAzYLiFe thread starter macrumors member

Australia, darwin there's no apple store in darwin only certified apple stores,

They better fix it, I'm not happy as it is haha

9. andycho7 macrumors member

Oh... good luck mate :)

10. CrAzYLiFe thread starter macrumors member

Here's a better pic of left, the pixels look fine when u zoom in, like a burn mark or something :/

Attached Files:

11. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

That's definitely dirt, not dead pixels. The question is where is the dirt and if it's behing the glass, how on earth diid it get in there???

Not that this helps you but I thought you should know. Individual sub-pixels (R,G B) are wired individually and fail individually. 99.9% of the time this is during manufacture and a perfect working panel will stay perfect throughout its life time. It's unusual for pixels to fail during use, especially for a new panel like this. Also, when they do fail, they tend to go individually, and when in clumps, not like this. It's definitely dirt.

12. CrAzYLiFe, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014

CrAzYLiFe thread starter macrumors member

It's weird isn't the panel meant to be sealed?? My room is kept clean (live on military base) and I've never moved the iMac since I got it I was using osx, restarted to go into windows and bam there it was

Just took another screen shot in a game these look like dead pixels

Attached Files:

13. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

This is going to sound odd, but bear with me - those look like little bugs to me. I had virtually identical-looking spots appear out of the blue a few months back in my Cinema Display, and I was dismayed, thinking that several pixels had suddenly died. I tried massaging the LCD, figuring that I couldn't make it worse, when the "dead pixels" started running away from my finger! I eventually chased it off the edge of the screen. It came back later in the day, but left of its own accord the next day. Reading up on it, this happens when a small bug gets between the backlight and the LCD panel and isn't terribly uncommon.

Not 100% sure if that's what's going on here, but those spots look identical to the spots that my little bug made on my LCD.

14. CrAzYLiFe thread starter macrumors member

Well the repair guy reckons its ants,

Is this possible on a late 2013 imac?
    Mind u he said its impossible to actually check if they are indeed ants because they are *stuck in the layers*

They also said because im not using apple memory in it my warranty is void. are they for real???

15. andycho7 macrumors member

As far as the screen goes... if it turns out to be bugs that are stuck in there, then I don't know if it would be covered under apple's warranty as bug getting inside of the machine probably isn't something to do with faulty manufacturing process(unless the bug came with the machine? idk..)

As far as the ram goes... that is complete bull. Ram is user accessible parts in 27 inch iMac. Plus, in this situation using whatever ram(that is compatible with iMac) is absolutely irrelevant and has nothing to do with that screen problem anyways.
    I would argue with them down to hell for that one if they seriously *voided* your warranty. To me that just sounds like a complete nonsense. You can just plug in your old ram that came with the iMac next time you go again, or to other store if it becomes problematic in the future.

16. CrAzYLiFe, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

CrAzYLiFe thread starter macrumors member

I tried but they wouldn't believe me, had to ring up apple who called them to sort the warranty, My apple rep will follow this through and try to sort this 'ant problem'

As far as I'm concerned there are no ants in my room, And for 3 to show up at the exact same time inside my screen?

They can't even prove to me they are ants, they said it looks like ants so it is and that it would be impossible to prove.

Ever way, i've never had a single issue of anything getting into any screens my whole life, if insects are able to get into your system and do this, this seems like a huge problem for apple and surely i can't be the only unlucky one on a new late imac 2013? :/. I have heard of bugs in between the glass layer and screen, but actually get into/behind the lcd?

Ive got some even better close ups ill upload, see what you guys think!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. andycho7 macrumors member

As I can't see the actual screen in person, it is bit difficult for me to determine whether if it's dead pixel(probably not), stuck pixel, or some sort of dust/bug. I don't know how or if they will even be able to prove what that problem is, but if it's not a bug, then it probably is a stuck pixel. However, it surely looks like it's some sort of 'object' stuck inside not a pixel issue.

Since the 2012 iMacs, they all have the display glass and the LCD panel glued together(like the iPhone 4 and above models) and I would probably assume that there's no room for a bug to get inside of the display... Like you, I never even heard or seen a computer screen with a bug stuck "under" the display. At this point I kind of want to argue that it somehow got in during the manufacturing process or some sort, since the front glass and the display is sealed.

Real dumb question, it wasn't like this since the day 1, right?

EDIT: after looking at your new picture, it actually does look more like an insect...

18. CrAzYLiFe thread starter macrumors member

nope its been fine since monday, it was literally fine as i was using osx, done a reboot to go into windows and as it was booting i noticed it straight away, god knows how if it is bugs they got in there, and i doubt they could actually prove its a bug anyway :/

my opinion the screen is faulty until its proven bugs got in there :/

but they can't take apart the screen because its all laminated :\

19. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

It could be bugs. I have a painting (a print, not an original) in the kitchen and some tiny bugs have got behind the glass and in front of the print, so they are clearly visible. The glass is pressed firmly against the smooth white paper of the print - there are no air gaps - and yet *somehow* the bugs have got in there. The picture frame is also completely sealed, so I can only assume they were in there from years ago and for some reason have hatched out. It's REALLY odd, but thinking about it, it looks very much like your iMac screen!

20. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

They really look like bugs. Dead pixels don't usually have that sort of a shape.

21. CrAzYLiFe thread starter macrumors member

22. AGamble macrumors member

23. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Yes, they are most certainly insects that have crawled in and gotten stuck and died. I suggest you call Apple and ship it to them for repair based on what your "service" guy said about the screen and the non-Apple RAM (which is crap; installing user-accessible RAM does not void your warranty - or at least it doesn't in the US).

I do suggest, however, putting the original RAM back in the machine before you send it, in case Apple replaces multiple parts and looses track of your RAM upgrade. And make sure you back up ALL your data & apps. Apple will wipe the hard drive sometimes without notice.

24. CrAzYLiFe thread starter macrumors member

Yeah the apple rep called the store and told them I'm still in warrenty, and said he would try to sort something out about the screen for me,

25. djbamber macrumors newbie

I had a 27 inch late 2012 iMac. After having it about 8 months. two small spots showed up at the bottom corners of the LCD screen. Looking closely the spots appeared to be small bugs. I brought it back to an Apple Store with this, and other issues, and the Genius Bar tech felt that the solution for this was to replace the LCD screen. Four days later I picked up my repaired iMac. After an 85 mile trip home my iMac was dead with only the fan running! The next day it was back to the Apple Store, and I walked out the door with a brand new late 2013 iMac. Apple definitely made me happy camper with their response to my problems.