Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arpi

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2014
Same issue here, 2 bugs in a week appeared inside my 27 iMac, they ran around for a couple of hours then died in the middle of the screen.

Here they are:

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

How can this happen with an apple product? I've had very cheap lcd's, never happened to them.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Look like thunder flies to me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrips

I had some work their way into an old PC LCD, they're attracted to light.

This. Had this happen with a couple of other LCD screens. Little buggers running around and then dying in the middle of the screen.

If the repairers tried to give me crap about them in the iMac, I'd just quote that the screen should be sealed and the bugs shouldn't be able to get in.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
you must check the enclosure. Watch the lamination of the glass and aluminium body maybe there is a spot where can little things like bugs or dust can get in.
I heard and saw 2012 imacs with the screen detached about 2-3 millimeters from the aluminium back

CrAzYLiFe

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
Australia
you must check the enclosure. Watch the lamination of the glass and aluminium body maybe there is a spot where can little things like bugs or dust can get in.
I heard and saw 2012 imacs with the screen detached about 2-3 millimeters from the aluminium back

And that's our fault? We shouldn't have to check, out of all the lcd screens I've owned this is the first for insects getting in for me. My MacBook Pro has been solid for 4 years now not a single issue.

Apple should investigate where there getting in and fix it. Because if it's easy for insects to get in it's a matter of when :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.