iMac 27" Quad Core Ram?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mac-Life, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Mac-Life macrumors member

Mac-Life

I have heard that it was different to put new ram in the new quad-core models than in the previous iMac models.

I have heard that they've made on so you have to lift the screen plate also can sit them in.

I have good enough self-ordered 8 GB Ram that Apple is sitting in. But just wanted to hear?

2. Mac-Life thread starter macrumors member

Mac-Life

3. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

There are multiple threads on this subject, a simple search would've yielded results.

However, since I'm in a giving mood I'll provide you the answer.

Apple's entire line (except the Mac Pro) take DDR3 1066 MHz RAM SO-DIMMs.

The iMac can go up to 16GB. There are 4 slots. To access the slots, the cover is on the bottom of the iMac. Take out 2 screws and pop in the new RAM.

Done.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Really, really difficult ... requires reading the manual to find the memory access panel and instructions.

Something that is painful for some people -- bursting the ego by reading the manual.

http://support.apple.com/manuals/#imac

5. Mac-Life thread starter macrumors member

Mac-Life

Ok

Yes. But I have heard many say that it would be different in the Quad-Core model.

6. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Wrong. You were mis-informed.

7. Goldie009 macrumors member

As mentioned above, you were mis-informed.

The new iMac RAM arrangement is different in as much as there are now FOUR RAM modules, rather than two. This is the only real difference. Despite this fact though, they are still accessible, as mentioned also above, by the little cover on the bottom centre of the screen.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You could print out the user manual for the Quad-Core model following the link posted earlier, and slap it around the ears of anyone who tells you such nonsense. :D